General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 1000 mile dealer service? Yay or Nay?
Yes-Full service
54.43%
Oil change only
1.27%
Waste of money
20.25%
$500 is too high
29.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

1000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021 | 08:52 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member

OP

For your peace of mind - have the dealer do it

As for me - once I roll it off a lot - the dealer never sees it again till time to trade in (unless it some sort of warranty recall)

Ghost

Old 08-30-2021 | 09:10 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure why people suggest having the dealer do the first service. There is nothing magical nor difficult about it. Yes, there are a lot of checks but if you own a decent set of hand tools and a couple of torque wrenches, you can do the checks yourself. If you can change oil on a car, you can do this.

Add to your toolbox: HD oil filter wrench, low-profile oil catch pan, and a primary fill funnel if you don't already own them. Invest in a factory service manual, and a motorcycle jack. The money you save vs dealer service cost will pay for nearly all of that, and continue to serve you throughout your motorcycle ownership. You'll be happy you did it yourself.

The following 2 users liked this post by strych9:
6113_ (08-30-2021), hardheaded (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021 | 09:02 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Below are important areas of your bike a Harley-Davidson mechanic will check during your first 1,000-mile service interval:
  • Inspect engine oil and filter
  • Inspect oil lines and brake system for leaks
  • Inspect air cleaner and service as required
  • Check tire pressure and inspect tread
  • Check tightness of wheel spokes
  • Replace transmission lubricant
  • Check clutch adjustment
  • Check primary chain adjustment
  • Inspect rear belt and sprockets and adjust belt
  • Check, adjust, and lube throttle, brake enrichers and clutch controls
  • Inspect and lube jiffy stand
  • Inspect fuel valve, lines, and fittings for leaks
  • Check brake fluid levels and condition
  • Inspect brake pads and discs for wear
  • Check spark plugs
  • Check operation of electrical equipment & switches
  • Check & adjust engine idle speed
  • Adjust steering head bearings
  • Inspect shock absorbers
  • Check tightness of critical fasteners
  • Road test
  • If they actually do it!!!

Old 08-31-2021 | 08:24 AM
BigMike
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by strych9
Not sure why people suggest having the dealer do the first service. There is nothing magical nor difficult about it. Yes, there are a lot of checks but if you own a decent set of hand tools and a couple of torque wrenches, you can do the checks yourself. If you can change oil on a car, you can do this.

Add to your toolbox: HD oil filter wrench, low-profile oil catch pan, and a primary fill funnel if you don't already own them. Invest in a factory service manual, and a motorcycle jack. The money you save vs dealer service cost will pay for nearly all of that, and continue to serve you throughout your motorcycle ownership. You'll be happy you did it yourself.
I fully agree with you here. The reasons I see:
- Have the cash and don't mind being gouged
- Too old or physical disability
- Have no mechanical skills, drinks White Claw, has a man-bun, and doesn't want to get their manicured fingers dirty

Old 08-31-2021 | 09:15 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigMike
I fully agree with you here. The reasons I see:
- Have the cash and don't mind being gouged
- Too old or physical disability
- Have no mechanical skills, drinks White Claw, has a man-bun, and doesn't want to get their manicured fingers dirty

Old 08-31-2021 | 09:36 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

I bought my bike used, and had the first service (10k) done by my local dealer. I paid less than $500, around $350 if I remember correctly, but that was 5 years ago.

After that I bought a service manual and do most things myself. If I don’t feel comfortable doing something or just don’t want to, then I either have the dealer or an indy do it for me.

Old 08-31-2021 | 09:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

It's just to protect the mothership just in case they missed something. The fluid change is for the dealership to keep a close relationship with their cash cow.

It's in the manual as service. Could affect warranty, so at minimum buy the fluids and filter and do that at next fluid change. If your not qualified to check safety items, you have little choice.

​​​​​​When all the dealings are best you can do, and you have pin in hand, tell them you'll sign if they do that 1000 free.

If they say no, walk for the car. Easiest $500 you will ever make.

I did that back in 2017 on the wife's new car. They tried to hit me for a 700 process fee. Thru it in at the last minute because manager said he failed to see I had line itemed everything and it was in what he had agreed too and signed. It was hard written on their finial paper and he told me they couldn't remove it there.

I had their check in my hand ready to take car.

I told them no deal. They then ask me to finance it with my credit union. Then I could pay it off there and they got 1% kick back and would accept my deal.

So I called my credit union and talked to them from dealership. They reached back to me in about 15 minutes saying I needed to add full glass and all the other to my insurance policy on my other 2 vehicles. Then no problem.

That was it for me. I walked by the salesman's desk and told him you don't win them all but appreciated his time.

Manager caught me getting in my car.

Give them a fair deal but call their bluff on BS.. Their not their to be your friend and neither can you trust them.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-31-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-31-2021 | 11:16 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

You will have a better result if you do it yourself. At ;least you will know it HAS been done. Most dealers just skip over everything and hand you a bill. Last 2 new bikes i have bought the trans lube didn't even touch the dipstick. They are not doing the new bike setup much less the 1000 mile service correctly. Can't tell you how many people get screwed out of a new oil filter, they just change the oil and bang you the price of a filter. I go over every nut and bolt and adjust everything that needs it.

Bottom line is , if you want it done right you gotta do it yourself !

Old 08-31-2021 | 11:37 AM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by BigMike
That made me LOL!

I must confess - I have more money than time. And my dealership "loans" me a bike while mine is being serviced, so I don't even have to wait for it.