General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting without the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009 | 03:36 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 99_percenter
YUP... cant believe that ther hasnt been any truck drivers chime in on this one.

I used to drive a redi mix truck ... different ones over the years .. 8 speed high / lo and 13 speeds.If you used that clutch for any other reason other than manuevering around a job site or coming to a dead stop and taking off from dead stop, why ... you'd be called a no truck driving rookie wannabe... it was taboo. not to mention the company wrenchs being pi$$ed at you.

Most big rigs behind us on the roadhave one footin the gas and one on the brake using every gear to slow down / stop... no clutch

I dont make a habit if doing it on my dyna, but it willshift up and down the gear pattern without the clutch.
Wick that throttle for the rightRPMversus speed and bingo.

SB
Ok, so I'm a retired professional driver. What'chawant? Seriously though, I never used a clutch for anything other than 1st and reverse when I was piloting a truck with a 13, 15, or 18, but I was a double clutchin' fool with the 5&4, the triplex, and the 15 with the 4 speed A-box...

As for short shifting on my bike - not a chance. The forks, detents, and other vital components in there are just too thin to stand up to a botched shift more than a couple of times - and there will be more than a couple of times in the course of a year...

Old 03-13-2009 | 04:25 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by iceman336
As for short shifting on my bike - not a chance. The forks, detents, and other vital components in there are just too thin to stand up to a botched shift more than a couple of times - and there will be more than a couple of times in the course of a year...
Just out of curiosity, how does one "botch" a shift on a bike?

Old 03-13-2009 | 06:50 PM
Romark
Road Master

Never tried it on my HD but my previous bike I shifted this way all the time. I have been wanting to give it a try on my HD. I guess I will now.

To those who think shifting like this in a crime or gears grind or it will "blow out" the transmission, have never done it.

On my previous bikes, if the matching speeds were not right it would not come out of gear. Simple as that. No grinding, no nothing. It just wouldn't shift. But, if you get good at it, shifting clutchless is just as smooth at using a clutch with no stress on the transmission.

Using a clutch just does job of slipping different gear speeds together for you.

However when I am riding more aggressivly I do use the clutch. I think I'll give it a try on my HD this week. Just don't tell the clutch police!!

Mark

Old 03-13-2009 | 07:29 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

i short-shift all the time.

Old 03-13-2009 | 07:58 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Certainteed
i short-shift all the time.
Short shifting and clutchless shifting aren't the same thing.

Old 03-13-2009 | 08:04 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

i shift clutchless all the time.

Old 03-13-2009 | 08:15 PM
Ridetard
Banned

I think there has been too much information on the subject so far.

Old 04-06-2009 | 05:50 PM
yelowdog
Intermediate

every morning 6 am gota have my Coffee ya cant bring my self to install a cup holder

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:09 PM
dropone
Supporter
Cool

A Harley Tyranny ant as bullet proof as any Eaton Fuller, Spicer TTC or Rockwell Meritor. Drove large cars 30+years with no clutch but not any of my Harleys.

Old 04-16-2009 | 07:50 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kolni
All the time.

I also brake with my feet and ride naked.
LMAO! I ride that way too, but only on Sundays.

Quick Reply: Shifting without the clutch