General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting without the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009 | 05:24 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

One UP, Three DOWN, for a reason. (It confuses the thieves )
Nah, actually an ol' drag racers trick. Reverse the ratchet arm.

But DON'T try this at home. Cuz you folks will prob'ly be running around, ... .................................................. .............

IN 4th GEAR, instead of 5th or 6th. Bwahahaha

Old 03-13-2009 | 05:44 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Unamed
Of course it cuts down wear on the clutch! your not useing it!!!! Sheesh!

Personally, and im no rocket scientist but im sure a few of them have had some input on this over the years. Theres probably a reason that all these vehicles have clutches on them.....Dontchatink?
yeah... people arent smart enough or coordinated enough to do it without synchronizers... Then they had to make automatic transmissions when people were too lazy to even grab a shift lever and push in a clutch...

I wonder how all those truck drivers put million of miles upshifting... downshifting with out a clutch... no to mention they are pulling about 80,000 lbs of cargo...

They must be those rocket scientist you spoke of...

Charlie D.

Old 03-13-2009 | 06:32 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Lord? Hey, Lord!!? Save me from this joint! Sometimes it gets too funny and now I gots coffee on the monitor, and my sides hurt from laughing.

Old 03-13-2009 | 07:35 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

How in heck did we go from shifting a motorcycle tranny with out a clutch to what truck drivers do?

Personally I use my clutch to stop/start and sometimes when going through the gears, but most times after I am rolling and on dry payment I don't use no clutch, if you know your bike and know where to shift at then it will go right into gear, no problems (I even asked the maintenance manager at the dealership when I bought my bike). Now if you don't know what you are doing, yes you will end up with a bent shifter fork, or worse, so if it doesn't want to change with out the clutch, don't force it!!! this is not a case of it don't fit,...get a bigger hammer. The only advantages I know of to not using the clutch is the reaction time between gear changes is ahella lot less than pulling the clutch, less wear on the clutch, and your left hand isn't as tired after a long ride.
The bottom line is if YOU don't know what you are doing, use your clutch and save your money for more accessories.

Old 03-13-2009 | 07:41 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wecroft
"BUT trucks are deigned that way. Don't know about HD."

Too bad you got you got it a$$ backwards. Trucks aren't "Built That way" otherwise the clutch pedal would hae "start and stop" printed on it, and HD trannys are better suited for a clutchless shift because they are a "constant mesh", "progressive shift" design. Since I'll assume that you don't KWTF that means, I'll splain it to you.
Try this, the manual transmissions on cages are synchromesh gearboxes whereas the transmissions on bikes are sequential gearboxes by design. The only cages that use the sequential design are generally the exotics and of course those used in racing like F1. The sequential motorcycle transmission uses no synchros and has no direct access to any one gear with the exception of those on either side of neutral.

The sequential gearbox has a number of advantages over the synchromesh design. The sequential is faster, lighter, requires less effort in that the clutch is not required to move from one range to the next either upshifting or downshifting and they take up less space. I would not however recommend clutchless shifting while simply putzing around as it can be hard on either transmission type. However, if you are running hard, the faster you are going in any one gear the easier it gets with the sequential. On my sportbike or dirt bike clutchless shifting can be dead smooth.

Old 03-13-2009 | 09:10 AM
Donny
Road Captain

Trucks are designed to be DOUBLE CLUTCHED. Clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, shift to next gear, clutch out. You can't even use the clutch like you would in a car or bike in a truck, because it will just grind. There are no synchros, which is what makes it possible to shift up and down without the clutch. Diesel truck engines have an RPM range of 500 at idle and about 2000 at redline, but when you're going through the gears, you're accelerating from about 1100 and shifting at 1800. The RPMs drop fast, also, when you let off, and the transmission is very close ratio. That's why there's so many gears.
I don't use the clutch in my TRUCK, but ALWAYS use my clutch in my cars, pickups, motorcycles, and ATVs. Can't really compare trucks to everything else. TOTALLY different animal!

Old 03-13-2009 | 09:34 AM
bcox
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bleuknight
somebody needs to explain to me the ADVANTAGES of not using the clutch????????? Not a smart thing to do!! If you choose to NOT use a clutch, you must have too much money to waste!!
If we're talking trucks, then saving my left knee is the biggest advantage. Bikes, I'm not sure of the advantage.

Old 03-13-2009 | 12:09 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bcox
If we're talking trucks, then saving my left knee is the biggest advantage. Bikes, I'm not sure of the advantage.
When a 10th of a second could mean the difference between winning or leading in terms of racing, clutchless shifting becomes a great advantage relative to lap times. If you're just cruising around it's kind of pointless as to me, I don't see the necessity for it.

Old 03-13-2009 | 02:37 PM
tallboy56
Road Master

Used to do it routinely on the dirt bikes...tried it once on the HD...not too good. It would have to be a have to case before I do it any more.

Old 03-13-2009 | 03:05 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

We ~NEVER~ use the clutch when shifting a dirt bike, I've never heard of any adverse effects. It's simply not necessary. According to one of the previous posts in this thread, it sounds like all motorbike tranny's are the same, sequential gearing rather than syncromesh. If that's true then it should be okay on a street bike too.

I've run through the gears on my RG without the clutch, more out of habit than intentional, and nothing happened, it switched normally. Personally i don't think there is any issue.

Having said that, and thinking about it, I suppose somone could screw it up and slowly move the shifter to the next gear and make it grind, but that would just be dumm. You have to snap the gears when there isn't any pressure from the engine. You rev it, release the gas for an instant then snap to the next gear.

Quick Reply: Shifting without the clutch