General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting without the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007 | 01:57 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Default RE: Shifting without the clutch

ORIGINAL: cwilks

Do it all the time 3-5........if ya know what your doing its easier than pulling the clutch
Is using the clutch really that hard???

Old 08-07-2007 | 02:03 PM
Vector
Cruiser

No way! I care too much about my bike to do that. Nothing worse to my ears than grinding gears (unintended rhyme).[&:]

Old 08-07-2007 | 02:19 PM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bear64

Not on the street, did when I was drag racing though, you darn well need to know what your doing or you could be paying out the nose for a new trany.

Bear64 says it best here.......if you don't know what your doing DON"T DO IT

Old 08-07-2007 | 02:23 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

ORIGINAL: BigJfxdwg

ORIGINAL: cwilks

Do it all the time 3-5........if ya know what your doing its easier than pulling the clutch
Is using the clutch really that hard???
My thoughts EXACTLY!

Old 08-07-2007 | 02:35 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

Use to shift clutchless all the time on my BMW R1150R when I was riding too fast. It was easy as pie and seemed to keep the chassis more composed during "spirited" riding.snick, snick. I haven't tried it on my Dyna, though, as I'm never in that much of a hurry on this bike!

Old 08-07-2007 | 02:46 PM
wisemx
Road Warrior

Most of the brosmay bewasting fingers too...
It only takestwo fingers to clutch on the fly.

I wrap my levers with Rubber pipe sealing tape.
It's black, semi tacky, looks good, cheap...and makes it twice as easy to pull the clutch lever quickly.

Old 08-07-2007 | 03:37 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Why would anyone want to shift without the clutch on a Harley? It can be done but itis hard on the drivetrain.Years ago a broken clutch cable put me in that position.It sucked!!!.

Old 08-07-2007 | 05:39 PM
Bear64
Banned

ORIGINAL: Unamed

ORIGINAL: Bear64

ORIGINAL: MOSTWANTED

actually in a truck transmision it cuts down on wear and tear on the clutch. Just got to do it without grinding the gears.

edit: Bear64 beat me to the idea.
Of course it cuts down wear on the clutch! your not useing it!!!! Sheesh!

Personally, and im no rocket scientist but im sure a few of them have had some input on this over the years. Theres probably a reason that all these vehicles have clutches on them.....Dontchatink?
your so right, but then its like living in the fast lane, or riding 20,000 miles a year?? Can I really do that? but then there are those that do neither--Dontchathink??

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/CFDFE4D800AF4670BDA5BF595B28D6C6.jpg[/IMG]
Lol I do both, but I still use my clutch, I know you can match engine rpms to speed to get the gears to mesh and I admit I do it in my jeep when I'm lazy, but what happens when you dont get teh speeds jsut right??? GRRIIIIINNNDDDDD!! you cant tell me that is good for anything, lol.

And you spelled dontchatink wrong, theres no H its "tink" comon man where have you been???
Well ain't I the dummy, here I thopught you mispelled it..I guess I need to just hush up here if I can't even speel write. I also still use my clutch, my street racing days are over, well almost anyway, but I do use the clutch now, way back when, long before some of you rode, we used to do it quite a bit, match the RPM to the speed..but enough of this about clutchless shifting, lets talk about moth ***** in the gas tank?

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/969B5004D44442B8BFBF4C014BE2F155.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2007 | 05:50 PM
Psycho
Road Master

I was just reading the other thread about starting your bike in nuetral or gear and thought of this. I have driven pick ups and a few dirt bikes without using the clutch. Anyone here constanlty shift without the clutch?
Only when I'm drinking, smoking, and taking pictures with my camera phone while waiting on some wannabee badass on a road sofa to negotiate 100 mph sweepers at 30 miles an hour while trying not to fall over.

Gives me something to do with the boredom.

Old 08-07-2007 | 06:02 PM
99_percenter
Road Warrior

actually in a truck transmision it cuts down on wear and tear on the clutch. Just got to do it without grinding the gears.

edit: Bear64 beat me to the idea.
Of course it cuts down wear on the clutch! your not useing it!!!! Sheesh!

Personally, and im no rocket scientist but im sure a few of them have had some input on this over the years. Theres probably a reason that all these vehicles have clutches on them.....Dontchatink?
yeah you are right.............................. it's to take off from a dead stop without kill'n the motor.[8D]
YUP... cant believe that ther hasnt been any truck drivers chime in on this one.

I used to drive a redi mix truck ... different ones over the years .. 8 speed high / lo and 13 speeds.If you used that clutch for any other reason other than manuevering around a job site or coming to a dead stop and taking off from dead stop, why ... you'd be called a no truck driving rookie wannabe... it was taboo. not to mention the company wrenchs being pi$$ed at you.

Most big rigs behind us on the roadhave one footin the gas and one on the brake using every gear to slow down / stop... no clutch

I dont make a habit if doing it on my dyna, but it willshift up and down the gear pattern without the clutch.
Wick that throttle for the rightRPMversus speed and bingo.

SB

Quick Reply: Shifting without the clutch