Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting without the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:32 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shifting without the clutch

Take a look at some blow-up charts of Harley gears/shafts and then those on cars/trucks,and even MotoX bikes.

The largest factor is what speeds up the gear so it will mesh.
On MotoX bikes you have thrust washers, obviously they do a great job in speeding the gear/shaft up.

On cars/trucks some gearsmesh at speed without the clutch, but not all.
If you look at the splines on those shafts you'll find idlers that help mesh the landing gears.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Bear64
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TXSwede

I usta do it alla time with my old ironhead Sporty, and I mean ALLA time. Mostly upshifting, I just thought it sounded cooler without that annoying fraction of a second lapse it took to squeeze the clutch lever.....let it back out.........then throttle back. All you had to to was let off the throttle for a nano second kick her up and rev on! This was 20 years ago, though. The only time I have done it on my Dyna was by mistake! Brought back memories tho!
Thats whatI used to drag race on, but if you screw up, it would sometimes blow the right rear of the case out, don't ask?, LOL when street racing, in my youth I used the kill button instead of the clutch..if you was good, you could adjust your clutch pull so that it engaged about 1/2 inch into the pull, thus using only a couple of fingers, pretty quick that way also..this was all back in the 60s, way before air shifters and all the modern crap, that was when it was the rider half as much as the machine, now days its just, get on, hangon, the bike does it rest?? go back to pits and read the computer..not saying that isn't good, but being old and old fashioned I like the old ways, sort of personal and up front.

street racer 1960s style

Old 08-07-2007, 09:21 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

...Hey Bear, I raced a 1970 XLCH, bracket class NHRA, during the 70's, man...those days were fun.
(Remember those oil catches NHRA made us put on the front of the engines? HeHe, 2 funny now...)

Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM
cwilks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it all the time 3-5........if ya know what your doing its easier than pulling the clutch

Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,691 Likes on 9,284 Posts

I usually just give the clutch a little bit of pull to release pressure on the gear teeth so they will slide. I don't hear or sense anything getting chipped in the process.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Unamed
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MOSTWANTED

actually in a truck transmision it cuts down on wear and tear on the clutch. Just got to do it without grinding the gears.

edit: Bear64 beat me to the idea.
Of course it cuts down wear on the clutch! your not useing it!!!! Sheesh!

Personally, and im no rocket scientist but im sure a few of them have had some input on this over the years. Theres probably a reason that all these vehicles have clutches on them.....Dontchatink?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have with most of my vehicles. With my dirt bikes, I don't think I ever used it except to start and stop. And when I was driving Semi's same thing. It's just a matter of shifting when there is no load on the drivetrain.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:16 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Unamed

actually in a truck transmision it cuts down on wear and tear on the clutch. Just got to do it without grinding the gears.

Personally, and im no rocket scientist but im sure a few of them have had some input on this over the years. Theres probably a reason that all these vehicles have clutches on them.....Dontchatink?
yeah you are right.............................. it's to take off from a dead stop without kill'n the motor.[8D]

Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Bear64
Banned

your so right, but then its like living in the fast lane, or riding 20,000 miles a year?? Can I really do that? but then there are those that do neither--Dontchathink??

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/CFDFE4D800AF4670BDA5BF595B28D6C6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Unamed
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bear64

your so right, but then its like living in the fast lane, or riding 20,000 miles a year?? Can I really do that? but then there are those that do neither--Dontchathink??

[IMG]local://upfiles/3092/CFDFE4D800AF4670BDA5BF595B28D6C6.jpg[/IMG]
Lol I do both, but I still use my clutch, I know you can match engine rpms to speed to get the gears to mesh and I admit I do it in my jeep when I'm lazy, but what happens when you dont get teh speeds jsut right??? GRRIIIIINNNDDDDD!! you cant tell me that is good for anything, lol.

And you spelled dontchatink wrong, theres no H its "tink" comon man where have you been???

Quick Reply: Shifting without the clutch