General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Wobble ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007 | 10:33 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Default RE: Ape Wobble ??

ORIGINAL: RazorFXDB

ORIGINAL: grumpy irish again

first I would get rid of the dyna or at least see if the rear spring is adjustable is so try one notch up or down what you discribe is quite common on bikes with rear outboard shocks (dyna) also tire pressure but usually only straight ahead..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/4A360D0CD7ED45EEBD2803C2FBA5A898.jpg[/IMG]
Not enough fiber in your diet gramps?
That was pretty stupid and uncalled for.

Old 08-07-2007 | 11:48 PM
RazorFXDB
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

first I would get rid of the dyna or at least see if the rear spring is adjustable is so try one notch up or down what you discribe is quite common on bikes with rear outboard shocks (dyna) also tire pressure but usually only straight ahead..

How so? ..

I'm sure he was joking when he suggested selling the bike,

As i was when I suggested he wasn't eating enough fiber.

That's why I only highlighted that section. I appreciate his reply and am actually going to try and stiffen up the shocks to see if that helps. ... Maybe I needed one of these , or these or these [8D]in my original post.

No malice intended.

You people are too uptight. [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Old 08-07-2007 | 11:53 PM
RazorFXDB
|
Tourer

For the record, irregular bowel movements make me grumpy!

Old 08-08-2007 | 10:35 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior

IMO if your bars are moving and your SURE your clamp is tight a drift pin would be a MUST!

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:14 PM
badherb
Road Captain

dynas rule the earth!!!

Old 08-08-2007 | 08:59 PM
michaelbarry
Banned

How so? ..

That's why I only highlighted that section. I appreciate his reply and am actually going to try and stiffen up the shocks to see if that helps. ... Maybe I needed one of these , or these or these [8D]in my original post.

No malice intended.

Okay, sorry for snapping at you then. I just have a shortfusewhen it comes topeople who don't respect their elders.. [&:]I just didn't realize that you were joking.

Old 08-08-2007 | 10:18 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

OK FOR THE RECORD i WAS KIDDING ABOUT DYNA'S.. HOWEVER i REALLY DON'T LIKE THEM ..REST OF POST WAS SERIOUS..

How so? ..

No malice intended.

Old 08-09-2007 | 09:58 AM
RazorFXDB
|
Tourer

No worries gentlemen.

Sarcasm and joking is sometimes hard to portray in text. When we write, we're reading it in our head, with a certain tone and demeanor which is lost on the recipient.

The emoticon's really help with this, so I'll have to try and use them more often.

Happy trails!!

Ray.

Old 08-09-2007 | 10:29 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

Things that have helped my wobble issues in the turns...

Progressive 440's in the rear
Race Tech 195kg straight rate springs in front, with their Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators - Awesome
True Track - eh, probably not worth the money. Didn't increase the stability as much as the other mods

Metzlers with the 90/90 21 in front - wow, what a difference. Specially that 90/90 up front on the 21" wheel
(btw - each one of these was done separately)

To be done - Check rear wheel alignment. Surprised nobody has mentioned that one yet. I haven't done it yet, but its on my "to do" list.

My apes are barely taller than stock, yes I put in poly bushings.

I still get some wobble, but I am using an awful turn on my way home as my litmus test. It has three consecutive dips in the road, right in the turn. With the mods noted above, I have been able to increase the speed I can go through that turn by about 15 mph. Actually there are three curves on my road home that have similar issues of varying degree. Only one of them is still an issue for me now.
Other than that, the bike seriously rides like its on a monorail.

It takes VERY little pressure on the bars to put the bike into a turn...
What my body is doing in the curve has a huge difference on what the bike does. I suppose for each person, technique will be a little different. If my body wobbles, that gets transferred to the bars. Since the bike is so responsive, ANYTHING that transfers to the bars affects how it behaves. If I am in a right hand turn, I find while putting pressure on the right side of the bar, my left side is very loose... and visa versa. Holding on to each bar with equal strength makes things worse.

When the front end starts to wobble, our minds instinctively try to counter act that and I believe this only makes matters worse. You really have to consciously let that opposite hand not be a part of the problem and let the bike do what it wants to do rather than try to fix it... you won't fix it.

I also find I have issues with wind affecting how the bike handles... specially on the super slab with a lot of turbulent wind from cars around me... constantly coming from different directions really makes me work to keep a nice straight line. As someone else mentioned, keeping my belly tight and a loose grip on the bars really helps. 70mph on a country road and 70 on a populated super slab are two completely different worlds.