General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Wobble ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007 | 07:36 AM
wildwillie2u
Stage IV
Default RE: Ape Wobble ??

check the head bearings for loosness.

Old 08-07-2007 | 07:41 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member

I have stock mini apes on my Wideglide and get a bad wobble between 80-85mph. Sean has 16" apes with 4" risers and he doesn't but a slight wobble over 90mph. So it may not be your apes. I would LOVE to find what causes my wobble too. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2007 | 07:56 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

My Fatboy does it too, but I don't worry about it. [&:] I'd almost bet if you drop your left hand when it starts wobbling (if you're comfortable doing that, if not, just open your hand up to where it's not actually holding onto the bar, but is still over the grip) that your wobble will stop. Try it and see.

Old 08-07-2007 | 09:51 AM
Azgunner
Tourer

I noticed a wobble at about 80-85 mph when going thru some long sweeping turns on a ride up to Flagstaff that I never had before. Right now I've got 9" rise t-bars. I'm talking a seriuos wobble where friends behind me thought I was going down twice. I found if I slowed down a little it went away. I also tried the one hand/light grip which did help, but not completely. Only slowing my speed made it completely go away.

The only thing I did different was I upped my front tire pressure about 3 PSI to 35-36PSI on Metzler ME 880s. I got a 21" spoked wheel up front & 16" solid Night Train wheel in back.

I've been sick for a whole freakin' week (100-103° temps.) so I haven't been able to ride with the front tire at the lower pressure. I do know tire PSI can have a big affect on handling. BTW got 16" apes almost set-up on my bike, should be able to get them done by Friday. I'll probably never know for sure if it was only tire pressure since w/ the apes on I'll have introduced new variables.

Old 08-07-2007 | 09:59 AM
Unamed
Road Master

Even with my 12.5's I will get it, if you pay really close attention you will notice that it is you putting pressure on the bars that causes it, the springs compress and rebound your upper body does the same thing and since your leaning you pull the bars funny and make them wobble. I find that if i tighten my stomach muscles up a bit i can keep it from happening. Course I get lots of practice cause teh on ramp to the freeway by me has a nice big crater in it.

With the proper amount of leeeeeeeverraaage we'll have you out of there in a jiffy!

Old 08-07-2007 | 10:15 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

very good post here. I'll surmize and let you decide by rational deduction -
1. rider position and input during cornering
2.riser bushings (should change when installing apes)
3. front wheel type (laced, check spokes)
4. tire pressure/wear/balance
5. steering/head bearings

I'm sure if I missed something others will post it. good luck!

Old 08-07-2007 | 10:34 AM
Unamed
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rebel Ryder

I never was any good at math

Old 08-07-2007 | 10:45 AM
ApeKing
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

I have 18" on my rk custom. I have the stock rubber bushings. I have no wobble at all. If I hit a big bump and pull back on the bars, with force, they will shift down, and I have to force them back to where I want them. I was told the only real way to stop this is to add a couple of set screws. I will, if it ever becomes a big problem. Right now, it is just slightly irritating. I relax my grip when I see bumps in the road, and that has helped. BTW, you have checked your tire pressure, right?
HD installed a drift pin at the clamp on mine so if they pulled back it would mean the drift pin had wallowed out. In other words NOT GOOD!. If your bars can actualy change position I would definately do something about that!

Old 08-07-2007 | 01:17 PM
RazorFXDB
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rebel Ryder

1. It could very well be self induced. If I really brace my arms to the bars,by locking my elbows when going into a turn, it helps. I'll keep experimenting.
2. Definitely gonna look at changing these out. My bars have been moving back on me after a ride. The roads where I live are HIDEOUS, and with the rubber bushings, I slam the bars around pretty good. Blue loctited the bolts on the riser and it's helped, but still some movement if I'm not mistaken.
3. I'll give the spokes (front and back) a good going over tomorrow.
4. Tire pressure is bang-on. But I'll check 'er again just to be sure.
5. Steering head bearing adjustment will have to wait until the manual arrives. It's on it's way and should be here soon.

Oh, and thanks for the summary Rebel.

Ray.

Old 08-07-2007 | 01:24 PM
anubisss
Banned

No wobble here. this is where the "no death grip" comes into play IMO...

Quick Reply: Ape Wobble ??