General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you wear HD label attire when riding?
YES
41.96%
NO
58.04%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Whattaya Wear When Riding?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 04:34 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by brakeless
Thought we were talking about the Biker here not the cowboy.
Someone mentioned that chaps reminded them of the Village people. I don't think there are any bikers in that picture, even if one is dressed that way. But one does have chaps on.

Paul

Old Yesterday | 05:03 PM
fanosatchmo
4th Gear

Pre-apologies to the easily offended. Don't mean to create enemies, but... I'm amused by the whole, "Ride your own ride" mantra. It's far from true but recited often.

From the MoCo:
"Express your individuality! -- by buying this selection of sanctioned accessories found in this catalog only. Anything else could void your warranty. Choose from these options to show how independant and free you are!"
From the Rider:
"Dress in a way most don't dress, or like something most don't like, then you're fair game."

The questions I am interested in are, could it save your life? Could it save you from a debilitating road rash? How easy is it to put on over jeans? The criterion seems to be, Who cares if it doesn't look cool.

Sorry, but I'm guilty of all this myself. I really like the idea of chaps with the ease of putting them on for the interstate and then taking them off for the restaurant. One long slide 5 years ago has embedded itself in my memeory forever and I never want to repeat it again. But I also don't want to be the one pointed and snickered at.

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:26 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by pgreer
Someone mentioned that chaps reminded them of the Village people. I don't think there are any bikers in that picture, even if one is dressed that way. But one does have chaps on.

Paul
Uh, yeah one is described as a "biker".

Original seven members

edit
  • Victor Willis (cop/admiral/athlete/gigolo/nondescript)
  • Felipe Rose (Native American)
  • Alex Briley (GI/nondescript)
  • Lee Mouton (biker)
  • Mark Mussler (construction worker)
  • David Forrest (cowboy)
  • Peter Whitehead (nondescript)

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 05:33 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fanosatchmo
Pre-apologies to the easily offended. Don't mean to create enemies, but... I'm amused by the whole, "Ride your own ride" mantra. It's far from true but recited often.

From the MoCo:
"Express your individuality! -- by buying this selection of sanctioned accessories found in this catalog only. Anything else could void your warranty. Choose from these options to show how independant and free you are!"
From the Rider:
"Dress in a way most don't dress, or like something most don't like, then you're fair game."

The questions I am interested in are, could it save your life? Could it save you from a debilitating road rash? How easy is it to put on over jeans? The criterion seems to be, Who cares if it doesn't look cool.

Sorry, but I'm guilty of all this myself. I really like the idea of chaps with the ease of putting them on for the interstate and then taking them off for the restaurant. One long slide 5 years ago has embedded itself in my memeory forever and I never want to repeat it again. But I also don't want to be the one pointed and snickered at.
Go to any rally and you'll see lots wearing chaps. They have been a staple of bikers for a long time. Leather has been the go to of choice for motorcyclists for a long time too. Still is an excellent choice to protect one from weather and abrasions. Chaps are great because they can be put on and removed in short time and they roll up small to store in a saddlebag.
I think if I ever rode up somewhere wearing chaps and was laughed at I'd have to believe I was dreaming. And then there'd be a fight.

Old Yesterday | 08:46 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by RHPAW

Do you are the real Jake from State Farm.

Old Today | 06:39 AM
ksol5
Road Captain

I was kidding about the village people thing, geez, wear whatever you want.