Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Whistles

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 08:16 PM
SMenasco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer Whistles

Does anyone know anything about the small deer whistles that supposedly transmit a high pitch as the wind travels through them? Do they work? I noticed a set on a bike the other day.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Deer Whistles

damn things work!!!! I've seen them on cars and it keeps the deers out of the grill/front forks, and you out of the Hospital!!!!

joe

Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SMenasco

Does anyone know anything about the small deer whistles that supposedly transmit a high pitch as the wind travels through them? Do they work? I noticed a set on a bike the other day.
I don't want to disagree with Traveler, because some people swear by these whistles. But I got to point out that research says these whistles are worthless. I think Motorcyclist magazine also did a report and basically said the same thing. They said deer hear sound in the same range as humans, so they don't even hear the whistles, let alone run from them. The Ohio State Patrol installed them on their cruisers and noticed no decline in deer strikes...Here is a link to read.

http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/deerw.html

Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 339 Posts

I have them on the car, but not the bike. Who knows if they work? I thought that's what the Vance and Hines were for.

A few years ago I was riding to work, and a group of 5 deer ran accross the road in front of us. The Honda Civic in front of me hit one and launched it in the air and I almost hit it. i literally had to duck to miss it. Scary as H.E. double hockey sticks.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The Georgia DNR, aka 'Rabbit Police' or 'Possum Cops' tested the so-called deer whistles a few years ago.

They installed them on a vehicle and drove by a place where they had some deer caged. The deer showed no reaction any way different than to a vehicle without the deer whistles on them.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SMenasco

If you choose to use these, please don't change your safety attitude while riding in deer country.[sm=signs003.gif]

Snarly

Old 11-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

Worthless pieces of crap...don't waste your money.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup - Those things do not work at all - Kinda makes angry they were brought to market before they were really tested - If they worked insurance companies would be pushing them like mad!

Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

Following up on the deer whistles - they work great! I haven't seen a deer since I put them on. However, they don't work on dead cats; they just lay there.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:18 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i have used a few years back cant say if the really work or not luckly enough i did'nt have any deer jump out or scream at me to tell me i was to loud who knows if they work or not like i said i have used them did'nt hit no deer and i rode all the way to sturgis mostly at night.about 670 miles take it for what its worth i dont have any now but thought about it i wish they would work for cars.

Quick Reply: Deer Whistles