General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anytime Shades

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:03 PM
LightWeight
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anytime Shades

I am looking riding glasses for both day and night.

Anyone use use the Bobster Fatboy Photochromic Lens glasses? Are they dark enough when riding into full fun? Do They work well with smaller faces?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Anytime Shades

Go to a bicycle shop and pick up a pair with multi lens. That is what I do

Old 11-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer in regards to the Bobster photochromic lenses but I can say that the pair of WileyX glasses I got that have the light adjusting lenses do not get near dark enough for my liking during the day.

I use them for my night riding glasses. Still use my HD glasses for daytime.

Brian

Old 11-10-2005, 04:37 AM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my Wiley-X glasses with the quick change lens (1 dark, and 1 clear), however I don't need the tight foam seal they provide unless I'm running without my windshield (hardly ever). Because they are "foamies", they reduce my peripheral vision more than standard glasses. My wife now uses them when she's on the bike and loves them.

It is much easier for me to switch day/nite modes if I have 2 pairs of glasses (1 dark, 1 light) instead of the Wiley-X lens swap option. For the day, I use a pair of polarized Costa Del Mar "fishing" glasses because they really cut down glare and are extremely scratch resistant. For night I have a $9 pair of amber safety glasses I found at the local hardware store. These are not so scratch resistant, but are easy and cheap to replace.

I normally keep the amber glasses in a protective case I store in my windshield bag... so it's an easy switch.

Edmo

Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 AM
SteveB
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about those brands you mentioned but my favorites are the Harley Davidson Badlanders. You get 2 sets of lenses smoke and clear that are extremely durable. They are dual purpose goggle and glasses with a removable foam rubber lining to keep the sand out of your eyes. Thats pretty important out here in western Nebraska. They have a adjustable strap to keep them securely on your face. Not to mention a nice snazzy case.
I put about 13000 miles per year and the glasses last about that long with me and I am pretty abusive with my eyeware.
Harley Davidson carries other styles but based on the same design.
In my signature picture below I am wearing a set around my neck.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had a pair of light adjusting lense panoptx for about 3 years now. They work fine and also have a removable gasket. I found mine for about $100 online and my local HD dealer sells them for $160. Overall I'm satisfied. My only beef is that the foam gasket has been coming apart and the replacement is $30 which I think is insane. I've been holding off on buying the gasket by using super glue to keep my old one together but eventually I'll need a new one. Thinking about trying WileyX too, heard a lot of good about them.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:11 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I never use polarized sunglasses on the bike. I want to be able to see if there's water or oil on the road ahead. You have to try on sunglasses in order to get the right fit, but luckily the cheapos provide the same UV protection as the high priced ones.