General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black bike owners...how do you

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Storm 4 U
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: black bike owners...how do you

Try a product called Zymol
Had a professional detailer give me
a bottle of this stuff, incredible product.
Detailedmy 95 Road King with original paint
and afterwards it looked liked it was clear coated.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:16 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually the majority of the scratches aquired are during the WASH process. I alleviate the potential for scratches by using 2 rinse buckets. I lather up witha rag, wash, and drop it into a rinse bucket, rinse it, move it to another rinse bucket, then back in the soap, usually use 2 rags to keep this process going. Whatever works for you but ANYTHING besides one bucket for soaping and rinsing.

Now resume with wax of choice.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:37 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my foot always ends up in the second bucket!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
MANCHU DOG7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using this product by LUCAS, called Slick Mist.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...2&loc=show

My 05 NT is Black Pearl and had a coulpe of surface scratches in it. This stuff not only made the surface scratchs go way, it now shines like a black mirror.

Great Stuff.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:11 PM
orionz06
3rd Gear

2 bucket wash as mentioned, good soap, not dish soap...

test all things that touch the paint on a blank cdr to see if they scratch the cd....if so, dont use it....you will find that most of the stuff in retail stores is not good for the finish....

heres how i would approach a heavily swirled bike (or car)

wash
clay bar to remove contaminants
polish using least aggressive compound...ive used meguiars 80/83 on several bikes in the past with perfect results...
then use a sealant, i use wolfgang deepgloss sealant
let sealant sit 24hrs...
wax with a wax of choice....s100 from the harley shop is good....carnuba based and its the same as p21s, highly regarded among car detailers.....

if it were me, i would hit it with 2 coats of the sealant, and a coat of sythetic wax (megs nxt) then an s100 or other carnuba.....

i also use an autogeek foam gun with dp xtreme wash....covers the bike with foam in under 30 seconds....let soak, wash individual parts, rinse only that part, refoam as i move around, and rinse with no hose nozzle for the heaviest slowest stream...it will be easier to dry.....

and no turtle wax....you bought a $20k bike....spend a little more to make everyone know its the best

Old 08-07-2007, 05:04 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The more you wash and wax a Black bike the better they look.I just recently finished another RK and purposely had a Satin Clear put over the Black to get that aged look.There are some incredible products out there today to help keep your pride and joy shineing

Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic
Actually the majority of the scratches aquired are during the WASH process.
I'll throw out another vote for Zaino, and also say that they have a pretty specific document on how to properly wash and prepare ones vehicle while washing, and before putting on Zaino. One thing they point out is that what you wash and dry your paint with is very important. A 100% cotton towel is important, and most imported towels will use polyester threads when sewing up the edges of the towels and these threads can cause some scratching. They also recommend against using a shammy to dry since even the smallest contaminent getting in there while drying will leave those small scratches.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just applied two coats of Zaino to my black Road Glide. It is fairly new so not too many swirls. Now you can't even see them. The ones that were there were probably from the dealership detailing. The one big way I prevent swirling is the way I wash. Always side to side. Never in circles. Washing in circles is one of the biggest causes of swirls.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Candy Red Road Glide
Road Master

My way to avoid swirls is to just not wash it to often...it looks like crap but it my crap and i like it.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Snort
Road Captain

Use the 2 bucket method, use a sheepskin mit, wash the painted surfaces first before touching any other part of the bike. Blow dry it. Use only microfiber cloths for removing wax. Use only the highest quality products for detailing, don't rub the paint with nuthin'. If you ever drop a wash or cleaning rag on the ground, go get a new one.

Quick Reply: black bike owners...how do you