General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketoberfest

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:52 AM
scotchrick05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biketoberfest

I did the search, not alot came up. Going to Daytona for the first time. Got lodging and transportation from Chicago taken care of (my bike).

Looking for suggestions. Where to go, what to do. Things to avoid, things to see. Tips, comments, etc.

Also looking for someone else going from Chicago area to ride with!!!

Thanks

SM

Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts
Default RE: Biketoberfest

Have you ever been to Daytona before? Where are you staying? How much time do you have once you get to Florida? What do you like to do? Not everyone wants to bar hop.

Personally (I've been to Daytona numerous times), I spend one day downtown and in the immediate area. I don't stay in Daytona or the immediate area, I generally ride in from the Orlando area. I spent one night in amotel on US-1 that cost me $160 during Biketoberfest.To put it mildly, it was a dump. Not worth $160 for a week. Parking during Biketoberfest isn't as ugly as it is during BikeWeek. But I'd recommend parking at the Methodist Church. Good people, who open their church to the Bikers. It's a couple blocks south of Main Street. Give them the money, walk up and down Main (dodging the 'tourists' pushing strollers and dragging kids),look atall the samecrap being sold by different vendors,grab a Tshirt/patch, pick up your HOG pin over at the Convention Center....And leave.Head out and visit, The Last Resort, The Iron Horse, Pub 44, Cabbage Patch,and a few other local biker bars. Pick up an overpriced Tshirt and leave.If you ride your bike on the beach, or you are staying within 5 miles of the ocean...Wash your bike down daily. That salt air / ocean fog will tear your aluminum apart (personal experience). A1A is a nice ride once you get north of Ormand Beach. St. Augustine is okay. There's a brewpub downtown with good food/brew, and a place called Saltwater Cowboys for a decent meal.

If you like airplanes head over to 'Orlampa' (I-4 between Orlando and Tampa)and check out 'Fantasy of Flight'. Lots of cool old flying junk, allone dude'sprivate collection. Run over to St. Petersburg Beach and take a look at the Gulf. There's a place called Hurricanes (three floor bar/restaurant-top deck), right across from the beach that has good food/drinks.

There is a scheduled Space Shuttlelaunch for October 20th. That'd be cool to see if itgoes as scheduled (they don't always seem to). Cape Canaveral is a short putt south of Daytona. I'm thinking aboutheading down there just to see that.

Universal Studios in Orlando has a really (I mean REALLY) goodHalloween thing. Check out their website: http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/for tickets. You'll wanna get them in advance because they sellout. No kids. It's that scarry. I've yet to go to one...Maybe if I can get awaythis fall...

Florida traffic on I-4 (and I-95) is brutal. If you've got a few days, I'd really recommend the trip out to Key West. It's a good days ride (8 hours depending on traffic) from Daytona or Orlando, so take the Florida Turnpike. I-95 is under constant construction. The ride across 7 mile bridge (the bridge they 'blew up in True Lies)is worth the trip. You'll want to spend at least one night (two is better). Get your room reserved now (they aren't cheap), and try and get a place close to Duvall Street. Look for a place that has parking. Some don't. You wanna be able to walk, so bring walking shoes. Parking is a touch and go thing. A&B Lobster house is a great place for an outstanding meal.

Lots of stuff to do down there, depends on what you'd like to do once you've had your fill of Daytona. Which doesn't take mevery long.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Rossmeyer's "Destination Daytona" is a must. He has the largest Harley dealership in the world, plus J&P Cycles just opened a retail store onsite. There's a hotel if you don't mind paying big bucks. He hopes to have his permanent bandshell ready by Biketoberfest.

Main Street.... need I say more? Froggy's is my favorite place to get stupid, but you can't go wrong with Full Moon Saloon,Dirty Harry's or Boothill Saloon. Live bands inside and out - Total bedlam!

The Cabbage Patch can be fun. There's a campground nearby. They have the coleslaw wrestling...

A1A has Broken Spoke,Jackson Hole, and one other who's name eludes me. They're your typical "compound" saloons. Also, not too far from Rossmeyer's.

If you like to party, pay the money and stay in or around Daytona. If not, I like St. Augustine. Its about 50 miles north of Daytona. Nice ride down A1A. Check out Tradewinds, The Oasis, and Caps to name a few.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Froggy's is always a good time. Things to avoid - riding without eye protection, they frown on that. Doing burnouts in the roadway, they really hate that. Raising hell in the neighborhoods away from the main drags, they have cracked down on that in the last couple of years. Last but not least, don't speed over any of the bridges going to or from the beach area. It is almost a sure bet there will be a car waiting just over the hump of the bridge waiting to releave you of some money and add points to your license.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

RDM you're right - Don't mess around with the powers that be. Some years they're more lenient than others. Regardless, don't get too cocky.

If you can't find a place to park on Main St. try the other side of the bridge near the BMW motorcycle dealership. It's a nice walk over to the "action."

Oh, and don't forget the Rat's Hole bike show on the boardwalk.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 AM
scotchrick05
Cruiser

I will be there thurs-sun. First time there. Staying in a condo near downtown. Like bars and clubs (were in our 20's) but also like scenic rides and such.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
flsun1
Tourer

Ride "The Loop" when your down here. It's a must. Scenic for Florida. Also, RDM and TonyP gave good info. Local law also cracking down on pipe noise leveldowntown. Stay out of the residential areas beachside. Enjoy

Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Tomoka State Park I think is part of the loop. Real nice ride through there.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

don't forget the speedway (track) always good vendors and stuff to see, eat, drink, plus a little less crowded. whatever you do bring prove of 10K insurance if your going lidless, good sunscreen, and plenty of water! welcome down to green grass & high tides forever!

Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
bs2100
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Hackd

Universal Studios in Orlando has a really (I mean REALLY) goodHalloween thing. Check out their website: http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/for tickets. You'll wanna get them in advance because they sellout. No kids. It's that scarry. I've yet to go to one...Maybe if I can get awaythis fall...
I haven't been to that in years but I'd imagine it's just more crowded than ever. I went in 2001 and it was at LEAST an hour and a half for any decent ride or haunted house. But at the same time I'd say you have to do it if you're in the area. Or you could go to the one at Busch Gardens. It's basically the same thing with more rides (all the rollercoasters are awesome at night).

Quick Reply: Biketoberfest