General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF--??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007 | 08:15 PM
RoadRunR
|
Road Master
Default MSF--??

Hey guys Ireadon another forum about MSF--makes me wonder..
I went to DMV got my motorcycle learnerspermit-willpractice witha private instructor then go the DMV and take the riding test

Don`t have my bike yet--choices--

Heritage classic
Road King
Heritage Classic
Low Rider
Heritage Classic
Fat Boy
Heritage Classic

Ahhhhhh
Did I mention

HERITAGE CLASSIC

http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/to...?TOPIC_ID=5292

check this out.

mike

Old 08-05-2007 | 08:26 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Default RE: MSF--??

I recently purchased my 05 1200 custom sportster.
I had planned on getting a low rider, at first I wanted a heritage classic and kept coming back to that model.
I got the used 1200 and let my wife get a new car, she had not had a new car since 93 and i have had 2 new trucks.
I really enjoy my 1200 but have decided that when I get another bike it will be the heritage classic, smooth ride, low seat height and the bags not to mention passing lamps etc.
Just a real nice package for the price, I use a travel pack but whould really like the saddle bags.
If you really like the heritage as much as it seems you do, I whould advise you to get that bike if you can.

Old 08-05-2007 | 09:57 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

RoadRunner,

You are going in the right direction. I like to see folks taking a riders course. Any course. Here's my suggestion. After getting licensed, hold off on getting the new Harley. Get instead a used learners bike. Something you don't mind when it gets damaged or dented. Here's why I suggest this.

Most of you know I am an MSF Rider Coach, and I teach Ride Like A Pro. As an MSF Rider Coach, I tell the folks that graduate that all they are really certified to do is ride a 250cc bike around little cones, in an empty parking lot, with no cars, no cross traffic, and no pedestrians. PERIOD. Then I remind them that they just passed the Basic Riders Course, key word being BASIC. I tell them they need to practice more, more, and still even more. Still, I see them go and buy newHarleys, Ninjas, BMWs, Ducatis, and off they go on the road of life to Sturgis. Perhaps some practice, I would venture a guess to say most do not.

Yesterday I was teaching Ride LikeA Pro. I had a guy in class with a nice new looking Street Glide, and he was struggling. He was not smooth and I could not get him to turn his head, let alone turn the handlebars back and forth. He was real jerky with the clutch and throttle. He kept grabbing the front brake. I could tell he was not comfortable with his bike. Before we even started I suggested he take off his saddle bags. A good idea since the Street Glide does not have rear crash bars. By exercise three he was complaining that the clutch was not acting right. By exercise four he had dropped the bike a couple of times, thank God I told him to take the bags off. In exercise five he dumped it over and scratched the fairing.

In todays class I spoke with some of his riding buddies who could not make yesterdays class. They told me he had just finished the BRC a couple of months ago and went right out and bought the Harley. It has less than 700 miles on it. The bike was not even broken in, and neither was he. Sure the clutch was acting funny, it's a new bike and the clutch cable is still stretching and settling in. He hadn't ridden enough to become comfortable with riding in general, and now he was taking an advanced riding course on a brand new bike. I applaud him wanting to continue taking courses and improving, howeverI think he was just getting ahead of himself. It wouldbelike me going to the batting cage and jumping from the 35mph pitching machine into the 80mph pitching machine. I need to practice in the 40mph, 50mph, 60mph and 70mph cages first, and I need a lot of time to practice.

My point is, and I do have one somewhere in here, is to consider buying a good dependable used beater that you do not mind dropping and denting should that happen. Then, while you have this bike, practice the Hell out of it until you are comfortable. Ride the heck out of this bike for one season. Don't worry about washing, or cleaning, just keep an eye on the brakes, tires, and chain. Take as many courses as you can on it, and then, after you are comfortable with riding, buy the Harley.

Some may not agree. I may be wrong. I may be way off base here, but that's my experience.

Old 08-05-2007 | 10:05 PM
RoadRunR
|
Road Master

Paniolo

I got two of your DVDs and look at them to gain more knowledge.

Thanks for info

mike

Old 08-05-2007 | 10:57 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

IMNTBHO, the Heritage is the most versatile Harley offered. It's comfortable. Handles well and can be riden arouund town or taken on trips. Having said that, I think the Deluxe is the best looking Harley made, but it's basically a Heritage in different clothing.
Marsh