General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering neck bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021 | 06:20 PM
Bubba Zanetti
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Steering neck bearing replacement

How many have replaced the neck bearings in their bikes? Is it a pain in the butt or pretty easy? Bear in mind I don’t have a garage so all work is done on a jack in my driveway.
Anyway it’s a 2005 Super Glide Custom. Any special tools needed? Anything to look out for or avoid dong? I’m no ace mechanic but I can turn a wrench. I do most all the work on my bikes.

I put this in general chat because it’s the same procedure for all models.

Old 07-02-2021 | 08:59 PM
union53
Road Captain

Its both easy and hard at the same time. With the proper tools its no big deal. I haven't done the ones on my Harley so I can't say for certain how they are done but in a lot of cases the lower bearing is pressed onto the steering stem so you will need a way to remove it and then press a new bearing on. You could use an air chisel to remove the old bearing since you don't care if it gets damaged if you have a new one. Pressing the new one on you'll have to be a bit more careful. The upper bearing should just come out. The races are pressed in for the top and bottom. Usually can get them out with a drift of some sort as long as you keep and eye on what you're doing. You can install the new races with a tool like bearing race driver such as the one from Motion Pro. One trick that can help is putting the new races in the freezer over night and then applying some heat to the neck around where the races go in to make the install a bit easier.

It's one of those jobs that isn't difficult but its easy to mess up.

Old 07-02-2021 | 09:07 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Replacing the bearings is pretty straightforward. The hard part is disassembling everything to reach the bearings.

The following 4 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
GPHDXLC (07-02-2021), Phil13 (07-03-2021), tngarren (07-04-2021), WrenchinRider (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021 | 09:26 PM
QC
Club Member

Getting the races out, and R&R the lower bearing are perhaps the most difficult parts of the job.
Inexpensive tools are available for the race removal, a press really should be used for the lower bearing. Maybe a machine shop in your area would do that for a 6-pack of beer.
New races can be installed with a piece of all thread and washers + the old races.

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (07-04-2021)
Old 07-02-2021 | 09:51 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior

I'm a firm believer in using the proper tools to make the job go easier with predictable results. If you are going to commit to doing your own wrenching I would seriously consider investing in the tools to do so.

Working on Harley"s is mostly pretty simple if you have basic mechanical aptitude which it sounds like you do, good tools can be the difference in a good day or a really bad day.

Take a look at Motion Pro, they have reasonably priced specialty tools for Harley's.

TownesVanZandt (07-05-2021)
Old 07-02-2021 | 09:55 PM
QC
Club Member

Here is a race removal tool.
Amazon Amazon

6113_ (07-02-2021)
Old 07-03-2021 | 10:45 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by QC
That's pretty slick. I used to weld a 3/32" stick bead around the inner circumference of the bottom bearing race to get it out of my Airhead Beemer. The weld would "shrink" the race enough to work it out of the steering neck.

Old 07-03-2021 | 12:20 PM
blue flht
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RK4ME
That's pretty slick. I used to weld a 3/32" stick bead around the inner circumference of the bottom bearing race to get it out of my Airhead Beemer. The weld would "shrink" the race enough to work it out of the steering neck.
Do this at work many times over the years.

RK4ME (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021 | 09:20 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
That’s the way I was taught in the 70’s with wheel bearing races also. Works slick on head race bearings. OP has no welder and tools. I’m suggesting getting some experienced help. I’ve seen several messed up steering heads after someone butchered with a chisel.. G.

Old 07-03-2021 | 10:47 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by back again
That’s the way I was taught in the 70’s with wheel bearing races also. Works slick on head race bearings. OP has no welder and tools. I’m suggesting getting some experienced help. I’ve seen several messed up steering heads after someone butchered with a chisel.. G.
I was welder when I did the Beemer bearings and already had a good amount of motorcycle mechanical experience, and I had a shop manual for every bike I owned.

Quick Reply: Steering neck bearing replacement