General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 05:36 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 705 Posts

ive had a sealed lead acid AGM Motobatt in my flh shovel since 2017........the tender extends its life

Old 07-21-2022, 04:05 PM
quikdyna
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

- Just for clarification, the 12V "lithium" batteries for motorcycles and cars are Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4), NOT lithium ion (like in cell phones).
- They are very stable when charged correctly.
- They sometimes require "excitement" to fully power up (basically turn on the high beam for 2-3 seconds), however this seems to be a thing of the past with each generation.
- Definitely buy a high-quality model of equal size, capacity and output voltage/CCAs.

I used an Earth-X LiFePO4 battery on two previous Italian bikes (they tend to have worse charging systems than Harley...lol). Very expensive ($320). I charged them with a compatible digital "tender" constantly when stored. Worked fine. I also changed to a LiFePO4 battery on another Italian stallion and it definitely was an improvement, especially after changing out the battery and starter positive and negative cables with some high-strand count electrolytic copper wire cables (I think the company was called Motolectric.com). Those really helped crank that high compression 1198 motor over.

My current battery is a sealed lead acid AGM Interstate version of the original Harley battery. It sits on a smart digital tender when stored. Works fine. Was around $150...but I got it for free so that was a plus.

Earth-X, Dakota Lithium, Odyssey, Shorai, Motobatt, Antigravity and Yuasa all have great versions.

Brownie, that Harley battery looks cool. Wonder what my local price is here in SoCal?

Last edited by quikdyna; 07-21-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 04:27 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,237 Likes on 7,384 Posts

Batteries Plus

Almost everywhere and open 7 days a week.

I purchased a Duracell For the 17 Limited and it’s been about two years now. Good product, great warranty and easy to replace on the road if needed.

I found them riding with a group to DC a few years back for RT. Buddy on a Goldwing had a battery go bad. He was on his phone and said there’s a battery plus just a few blocks away. We went there and he got a new battery. Here is where it gets really good. They ask his name and phone number, confirmed he purchased the existing battery from him and said WOW, you have one more day left in your warranty. Here’s a new battery “No Charge”. I’m a customer now and also added one to our F-150 and my lawnmower.

They are always sending coupon discounts up to 20% off in emails.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:45 PM
itsjon
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the battery charger system originally installed in the HDs is compatible with Lithium batteries? I have a 2018 Softail Slim and I got my Lithium battery a few weeks ado (and only now started to worry about that).

For the charges I see there is a need of special ones to keep up them (I'm trying to buy the one from HD, but its just impossible here in Brazil).

Old 07-28-2022, 10:56 PM
Ghetto blaster
Road Master
Received 1,076 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by itsjon
So, the battery charger system originally installed in the HDs is compatible with Lithium batteries? I have a 2018 Softail Slim and I got my Lithium battery a few weeks ado (and only now started to worry about that).

For the charges I see there is a need of special ones to keep up them (I'm trying to buy the one from HD, but its just impossible here in Brazil).
Most lithium batteries like to be charging between 11vlts and 14vlts most if not all of the newer Harleys are compatible with the lithium batteries and some of the older ones to, I have a 1988 FLHT with 0 issues, as far as chargers look at Dennis Kirk or J&P cycle and just make sure they are lithium battery compliant.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:04 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 569 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by itsjon

www.optimate1.com

Old 07-30-2022, 09:55 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,685 Likes on 1,270 Posts

I like

Old 07-30-2022, 10:25 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I wish i would have bought the Yuasa battery. I was kinds disappointed in Battery Mart after sending a battery that was 6 months old and only sowing 12.4 volts. My brother just bought a battery for his Shovelhead from Battery Mart and it does not fit the bike any longer. Same exact number EXT 16 as the battery he took out. They need to tell people about this before you order one of these.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:26 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
I like
That's what I have in my M8 Road Glide. 500 CCA too. It cranks over faster with the additional amps.

Paul

Old 07-30-2022, 09:41 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Noco has lithium batteries for Harley, I’m not sure if they have any in stock. I have one for my Yamaha and the weight savings and price is definitely worth it

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations?