General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire slice mystery - Commander IIs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021 | 08:50 AM
F150HD
|
Grand HDF Member
Default tire slice mystery - Commander IIs

Rear tire. Michelin Commander IIs. About 10k miles, on 2008 Ultra (note - thread is not about the Commander III)

Noticed this little 'stripe' last summer after pulling off a dusty road, it kinda looked like a zip tie (?) or similar was rubbing on the tire under the fender. No noticeable feel to the stripe last summer. You could kinda wipe if off w/ a thumb so I rode on.

Fast forward few weeks ago, stripe somewhat more pronounced (?) and if you run a fingernail across it you can feel a little ridge (very minor, kinda like when you scratch clearcoat and run a fingernail across it).

Pulled tire off bike, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary under the fender rubbing on the tire. Did not have this issue w/ prior rear tires. Front tire (same brand) does not have this issue.

Any thoughts on this?

Had a neighbor over to get some extra eyes on it last night, we noticed the little 'jig' in the stripe near each tread marked w/ arrow in diagram. This is consistent through the entire tire. Stripe seems a bit offset to the left of center (if seated on bike facing forward)

Any input or thoughts welcome. I do have 2 extra tires on hand to mount this summer, but these have 3-5k of life left and all riding will be mostly in-state this bike isn't going on a huge tour this summer.
-
-
-
Edit to add (since I already typed this all up) in searching I ran across the "motorcycle tire static strip" referenced in the thread below. Assuming (???) this is what this is. Hoping thats the case anyway.

See post #9: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/1244097-michelin-commander-ii.html

--

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topi...-hear-of-this/

Old 06-18-2021 | 09:12 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

The only time I ever had trouble with stripe around the center like that I figured out my seat bolt was too long.

I've never really noticed a static strip for discharging electricity on mine but it would be unnecessary. Mine discharges every time I hit a pothole, my "kickstand" bounces off the pavement because a new spring lasts about a month until it's stretched again. (cross thread points?)

The following users liked this post:
RHPAW (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021 | 09:20 AM
F150HD
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
The only time I ever had trouble with stripe around the center like that I figured out my seat bolt was too long.

I've never really noticed a static strip for discharging electricity on mine but it would be unnecessary. Mine discharges every time I hit a pothole, my "kickstand" bounces off the pavement because a new spring lasts about a month until it's stretched again. (cross thread points?)
yea hadn't had this issue w/ any other rear tire (?) so was skeptical of a bolt under fender. Pulled the tire anyway, of course found nothing. Dunno.

I did plug a nail hole while tire was off so still time well spent.

Have also had the kickstand spring issue...thankfully an easy (and cheap) fix. Just harder to do on the road as far easier to manage on a jack.

Old 06-18-2021 | 09:28 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by F150HD
yea hadn't had this issue w/ any other rear tire (?) so was skeptical of a bolt under fender. Pulled the tire anyway, of course found nothing. Dunno.

I did plug a nail hole while tire was off so still time well spent.

Have also had the kickstand spring issue...thankfully an easy (and cheap) fix. Just harder to do on the road as far easier to manage on a jack.
just have someone else sit on the seat for the 5 minutes it takes.

for the tire, i've seen that before and assumed that it was where the 2 compounds of the dual compound tires met. never heard of the static strip.

Old 06-18-2021 | 10:15 AM
ahhlou
Road Master

On most sport bike tires you can clearly see the static strip just off center around the whole circumference. I would think cruiser tires would be the same.

As skratch points out, it may also be the delineation of the dual compound if the line is futher off center and can be seen on both sides...

Last edited by ahhlou; 06-18-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2021 | 10:19 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member

My Michelin Scorcher 11 has a similar looking line on it.

Old 06-18-2021 | 12:11 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I don't see any damage to the tire. That';s not a "Slice" in the tire, it's a little mark on the surface.

I think you are worrying about nothing.

But if it bothers you replace the tire.

The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (06-19-2021)
Old 06-18-2021 | 12:21 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
I don't see any damage to the tire. That';s not a "Slice" in the tire, it's a little mark on the surface.

Looks like a manufacturing process line....wouldn't worry unless it starts looking worse...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom84FXST:
Mongo1958 (06-19-2021), VAFish (06-18-2021)
Old 06-19-2021 | 09:41 AM
Mongo1958
Road Warrior

These tires are mold injected and I'm suspecting the anomaly in the photo is part of the mold, perhaps a seem. Either way, I agree, it's nothing to worry about.

Old 06-20-2021 | 10:12 PM
F150HD
|
Grand HDF Member

you can physically feel a ridge on the tire per my post, so not its not just a 'little mark' on the surface, many posts all over the internet including ones on this forum had the same questions I did.

Quick Reply: tire slice mystery - Commander IIs