General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:37 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???

come to think of it, pushing a bike wether you are sitting on it or beside it isnt one of the easiest or safest things to do. although most bikes used during these courses are relatively light, for someone who may not have ever touched a bike, there are some of those out there who take this course, they may not be prepared for the handling characteristics such as balancing and required force to move the bike. just a recipe for disaster.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHRCI_King

I took the Harley Rider's Edge class and they did not make us push our bikes.
I'll second the above statement.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Arcane
Road Master

Excuse me, but;

Every MSF course instructor that I have met was only interested in one thing, trying to deliver basic motorcycle survival information to the student. The course is not designed to weed out the students, but to impart basic skills to the students. It is difficult to accept the distance that you say that the 175 cc to 250 cc motorcycle would have to be pushed, 150 yards is one and a half football fields. If I am out of line here than I apologize, but I know for certain that the MSF is a very good organization that has delivered first rate basic instruction to thousands of new riders. I can not show a negative response toward the MSF until I hear their response to your allegations.

Arcane

Old 08-04-2007, 10:04 PM
dash8dvr
Intermediate

I took the MSF class last weekend and that was the first thing we had to do....sit on the bikes and push themprobably about 50 yards or so across an asphalt parking lot. A couple of the older heavier guys were really laboring. Several times we had to walk across the parking lot and leave our bikes where we stopped after the exercise. One guy wasin such bad shape just walking I asked one of the instructors if he could ride his bike back to the classroom and he said absolutely not.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:15 PM
narosar
Tourer

What a load of crap. For the cost of these courses no student should have to push/walk a bike into position, it should be done in advance, at the very least it must be made known to each potential student before they hand over money.

There was no pushing/walking of the bikes before we started when I took the MSF this year, why? because the "coach" made the start/end zone the exact spot that the bikes were unloaded to, wow, hows that for planning and caring for the students.

NOT COVERED, then the damn "coach" can get off his assz and move the bikes where they need to be.

I'm not unloading on you Paniolo, just the facts as they have been listed.

ORIGINAL: Paniolo

As an MSF Rider Coach (We can't be called Instructors), here's the deal. The MSF insurance only covers the student to ride on the range, in class, doing exercises as specified in the curriculum. And, sad to say, riding bikes from one location to another is not part of the training curriculum, hence it IS NOT COVERED. So the bikes must be pushed and not ridden. I can tell you what's will probably happen on your second day. After you finish the class, you will have to push the bikes back over to storage area, as the riding portion and curriculum is finished, and everything else after that is NOT COVERED.

I know it sounds like a load of BS, but that's the way it is, and if any MSF "Quality Control" people see students riding range bikes outside of the curriculum, that MSF site will get a bad write up and a nasty note from Mr. Rob Gladdin the head of MSF, and Mr. David Couch the head of Quality Control.

That is why I rarely teach MSF anymore, and mostly teach Ride Like A Pro.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Texian
Banned

ORIGINAL: Arcane

. I can not show a negative response toward the MSF until I hear their response to your allegations.

Arcane

What I stated in my post is all fact.
Yes,150 yards. in 97 degree heat.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:53 PM
capt775
Road Master

I sort of agree with most replies here. Maybe being able to push a bike is part of the "check off" for the course, I don't know. But 150 yrds? Come on. They may need to know if you could get one out of a roadway or something. I think the guy was being an A**. But like a previous post, I don't know what kind of attitudes were being thrown around that day.

I'm like robrm250's post, you've ridden before, go to a place with hardly any traffic, get some riding time to get your "feel" back, then ride like everyone is trying to kill you, gradually increasing your trips.

You don't have to have it to get your license do ya?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:02 PM
HDFAN
Road Master

like I said in my pm, it's a load of ****. Why do I need to know how to push a motorcycle? Loaded for a trip, my bike comes in at over 800 lbs. I would like to see the instructor push it 150 yds on FLAT pavement, much less up hill.

I agree with the post somewhere above, somebody is on a power trip, not to mention an a$$hole.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Texian
Banned

Glad to say I got it 44 years ago and never gave it up.

There really wasn't so much attitude as being totally inflexable.They said something concerning State requirements and they had no choice.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:13 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the ride like a pro video and practice, the driving test isn't that hard if'n you can ride. I imagine that you can go and take the learners permit written test , if you dohn't already have them . that'll let you ride legally and then just practice in the parking lot someplace til you think you could pass the riding test.

Quick Reply: Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???