General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:09 PM
slacker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???

I saw another MSF range setup while attending an ERC update that I thought was weird. The container used to store the bikes was one one of at least two marked ranges. Probably 200 yards away a BRC was being taught at one of the other marked ranges. I actually asked about it and was told that before every class the RiderCoaches test ride the bikes over to the actual range from the container. Again, making students push bikes that far, in my opinion, is asking too much. But perhaps the reason for them having the range you used so far away from the storage location is that they had more than one range but only one place to store motorcycles.

Edit: Check this out: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...;z=18&om=1

That is the Loudon campus of Northern Virginia Community College. Looking at that lot see the two white boxes at the upper left of the lot? Those are their storage containers. The parking lot is divided into two ranges. The top half is usually used for ERC classes and the bottom (the section farthest from the containers) is used for BRC. Could the range you used have been set up like that with more than one actual range at the same location? Perhaps a good google satellite image would help.

If they were using the straddle walk step as a loose interpretation it was really loose because nowhere in any of the Range Cards is there instruction for students to push bikes from the side.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:29 PM
slacker
Cruiser

Something else I just noticed in your post is that you said there were 16 in the class. Were all 16 on the range at once? I am by no means an expert but I am pretty sure the limit on the range at any one time is 12 students.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:54 AM
Big Pa
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just completed a MSC a little over amonth ago, and we did'nt have to push, walk, or any thing like that. I don't see where you would benifit from it at all. The instructor's bike must be a POS that he has to push alot.
Joe

Old 08-09-2007, 01:36 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: slacker

I saw another MSF range setup while attending an ERC update that I thought was weird. The container used to store the bikes was one one of at least two marked ranges. Probably 200 yards away a BRC was being taught at one of the other marked ranges. I actually asked about it and was told that before every class the RiderCoaches test ride the bikes over to the actual range from the container. Again, making students push bikes that far, in my opinion, is asking too much. But perhaps the reason for them having the range you used so far away from the storage location is that they had more than one range but only one place to store motorcycles.

Edit: Check this out: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...;z=18&om=1

That is the Loudon campus of Northern Virginia Community College. Looking at that lot see the two white boxes at the upper left of the lot? Those are their storage containers. The parking lot is divided into two ranges. The top half is usually used for ERC classes and the bottom (the section farthest from the containers) is used for BRC. Could the range you used have been set up like that with more than one actual range at the same location? Perhaps a good google satellite image would help.

If they were using the straddle walk step as a loose interpretation it was really loose because nowhere in any of the Range Cards is there instruction for students to push bikes from the side.
Where did I put those keys to that roll off truck?[sm=ts.gif]

Old 08-09-2007, 02:31 AM
jblksmith1
Cruiser

I dropped my F-350 Crewcab Diesel. I wonder if Gostaz will help me pick it up.
What exactly does too much bike mean?
Texian, sorry to hear that you had such a hard time with the MSF people. I quit during the middle of the Instructor training course many, many years ago. Just too much BS for me. I do advocate the course for those wishing to learn though. I think you are on the right track by contacting somebody in charge.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:34 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It aint personal, I am from the words mean something school. Sorry to rattle your cage. You seemed like a MSF trainer defending the action against this guy. Like I stated before it made me mad and It was inexcusable IMO.
Like Tex said it was EASY to judge the distance and I would think that to be the case for most people.
ORIGINAL: slacker

As I said, that sucks. I was merely trying to provide information based on my experience. How it became a personal argument I don't know.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 AM
slacker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: MOSTWANTEDWhere did I put those keys to that roll off truck?[sm=ts.gif]
You have to be pretty desperate to want to have those bikes in your garage. To say they are all "customized" is an understatement. Dented gas tanks, broken clutch and brake levers, missing lights, scraped up exhaust, etc etc and they are all 250cc or smaller bikes. And the location of the storage containers is not really a guarded secret as the students take the bikes back to the containers at the end of class.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:51 AM
slacker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: x2lee

It aint personal, I am from the words mean something school. Sorry to rattle your cage. You seemed like a MSF trainer defending the action against this guy. Like I stated before it made me mad and It was inexcusable IMO.
Like Tex said it was EASY to judge the distance and I would think that to be the case for most people.
There were a lot of people offering their experiences and opinions in the thread but not one single person stated facts about what is supposed to happen. Do I defend the content of the course? Absolutely, because I see people that have never been on a motorcycle riding on their own within a couple of hours. Those are the same people that without the class would try to learn on their own, and based on statistics would very likely end up a statistic. This is one of the findings from the HURT study:

"The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents. "

Do I defend the RiderCoache(s)? I can't because I wasn't there as I CLEARLY stated in my original post. Words do mean something, but you know the funny thing is that you have to actually read them to know what they mean.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Texian
Banned

Well,for some reason,I can't get the link right on the google map.
The address is 1334 valwood parkway,carrollton,tx

This is a map of the location.
It is the lot to the right,east,of the stadium.Exercise 1 was at the north end.The storage containers were at the very top parking spaces and they parked the bikes in the second row of spaces.
Exercise 2 is even with the very south end of the track.

Just using the 10 yard markings on the football field,I may have been a little generous saying 150 yards.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Texian
Banned

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&...;z=17&om=1

Finally got the google satelite link.

That measures out to 210 yards they have you push the bikes,uphill . 97 degrees that day.

Quick Reply: Bad MSF ??? Is This Right ???