General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

King of Baggers Road America

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 06:07 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Wow, thanks for that. I've never seen a bagger race. Very impressive. Did I hear the announcer correctly, that they get the bikes down to 625lbs? Never thought I'd see a bagger being leaned over so far. Crazy cool!
Some of the bikes are down as low as ~580 lbs as I have been told. Then they add weight back where it helps the most, to get to the min weight required. I am not sure of the exact weight but this is what i have been told, Indian get to be down at 620 lbs and the HD's have to be at 635 lbs. These are the weights of the bike only at the end of the race and you cannot add anything. So you must weigh them with pretty much no fuel in them to not get a broken rule, which will cost you any points you made at that race, so it's like getting a DNF. You would need to check the rules as things have been changing since the start of the season in the rules

The following users liked this post:
rauchman (07-12-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Jarvis_21
Cruiser

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn't even know about this series until I randomly saw a post about it on Instagram. Now I am hooked.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:21 PM
armacc
Supporter
Received 225 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Brakes on Indian?

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
Road America is a track that LITERALLY played to all of Harleys strengths...2 very long straighaways for Harley to exert its HP advantage and long sweeping turns. When they get to Laguna for the last race, all of that will be swapped back to Indian, where brakes and handling are far more important. Even if Kyle is 100% healthy, it will be a TALL ORDER for him to beat Tyler Ohara there.....last year Ohara won even though he flew completely off the track...at one point he had 40 seconds on the entire field....so we will see. Even yesterday, before he broke he was showing that the superior braking was more than making up for the 4-5 bike lengths Wyman put on him in the straights....
I'm sure the Harley's have top of the line brakes. Is it radial mount vs axial mount or what that gives Indian an advantage in braking?

Old 06-15-2021, 12:35 PM
soldierbot
Supporter
Received 104,790 Likes on 26,242 Posts

I am seeing more and more performance baggers out in the wild, here in SoCal. About a quarter of the baggers, parked out at the Rick Store on Sunday, had Ohlin Shocks with the reservoir systems.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:38 PM
Jarvis_21
Cruiser

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Aren't the performance bagger guys in SoCal the Dyna bros that graduated? I am seeing more and more of the Rusty Butcher crowd showing up with CVO's and Tbars.

I am not shitting on it just seeing it a lot now.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:40 PM
armacc
Supporter
Received 225 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Bagger Racing

Going here in 2 weeks. https://baggerracingleague.com/
there was a bunch of noisy earlier that this league was going to usurp the King ofKthe Bagger series. Guess we'll see!

Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by armacc
I'm sure the Harley's have top of the line brakes. Is it radial mount vs axial mount or what that gives Indian an advantage in braking?
The Indian brake and suspension package is well above and beyond what the Harleys are running. Indian is running the same Brembo brake package as the world superbikes and they have a front end package from the Indian FTR race bikes....you can literally watch the Indians making up time in the brake zones...bike lengths at a time, at every singe race they have run. They are also coming off the turns WAY faster than the Harley.... One other thing they did was modify the Primary cover to add an inch of ground clearance as well (You can see the Indian seems to be able to get more lean angle than the harley) Here is a video that Roland did right after the first race (Laguna last year)

Old 06-16-2021, 07:13 AM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by armacc
Going here in 2 weeks. https://baggerracingleague.com/
there was a bunch of noisy earlier that this league was going to usurp the King ofKthe Bagger series. Guess we'll see!
King of the Baggers has factory sponsorship and independent teams can't compete with that, MOCO even giving HD teams up to 30k to help out. Two Indians is running in King of the Baggers.

The BRL will be more for the common folk I think, but I've been wrong before. This is where Indian will shine.

I like to see baggers on a road course, it's gaining some fans slowly

Old 06-16-2021, 07:17 AM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
The Indian brake and suspension package is well above and beyond what the Harleys are running. Indian is running the same Brembo brake package as the world superbikes and they have a front end package from the Indian FTR race bikes....you can literally watch the Indians making up time in the brake zones...bike lengths at a time, at every singe race they have run. They are also coming off the turns WAY faster than the Harley.... One other thing they did was modify the Primary cover to add an inch of ground clearance as well (You can see the Indian seems to be able to get more lean angle than the harley) Here is a video that Roland did right after the first race (Laguna last year) https://youtu.be/rRmzz_wjcBY
O'Hara won last years race at Laguna with no rear brake, he kicked the rear master cylinder off durning the race, even ran off the track at one point and fought his way for the win. That was before HD SE factory team, now they have proved themselves and are serious about it.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:11 AM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenn
O'Hara won last years race at Laguna with no rear brake, he kicked the rear master cylinder off durning the race, even ran off the track at one point and fought his way for the win. That was before HD SE factory team, now they have proved themselves and are serious about it.
We shall see. IMHO the only reason they won this last weekend was because Ohara broke. The only place that Wyman had any advantage was on the straights (and I think they had a much better launch control device than Indian)....and all that advantage was chewed up at every single braking zone. My personal opinion is that if the Indian didnt break his shifter, that he would have been able get in front and hold Wyman off for the win. We have been seeing the same EXACT scenario playing out in MotoGP all year long....3 Ducati's that can literally walk every other bike in the field in straight line speed, but way less stable every where else....and on some tracks they have been able to use the speed advantage for wins and other places they arent. I believe that we will see the same thing playout this year again at Laguna, which is DEFINITELY not a horsepower type track, its a riders track, with a ton of emphasis on handling and braking. We shall see. Its too bad that Wyman wont be 100% healthy, as I would love to see it all play out on a level playing field (if you can say having a factory 131R vs a stock 108 a level playing field..LOLZ In any other racing outside of Formula USA, this would never be allowed) IN F-USA it was run what you brung, but all other classes you were on relatively same size motor for the whole field....but I digress... :-P

Quick Reply: King of Baggers Road America