Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diabetes and riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:26 PM
ratzila
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diabetes and riding

[/align]
[blockquote]

About a month ago I wasn't feeling good. I kept losing my balance while getting up out of a chair. I finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I stopped riding about 2 months ago. I am starting to feel better now as my glucose level is coming down. I am getting the urge to start riding again. 2 weeks ago on a fishing trip my sugar level had dropped tooquick because I blacked out and jumped overboard without a life vest. Almost drowned. I ended up in the hospital for 3 days.I am feeling a lot better now and am itching to ride again. Has any of you been diagnosed with diabetes and still ride?

[/align] [/blockquote]

Old 08-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Queen of the Hill
Tourer
Default RE: Diabetes and riding

I'm type 2 and have never had any issues with riding. I think when you get the right combination of diet and meds and get your level under reasonable control, you shouldn't have those kinds of issues. Assuming, that is, that you CAN get it under control. If you are having wild swings like it sounds like you're having, keep working with your doc and stay off the bike until you get stable.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:50 PM
pokey
Tourer

your numbers must be off the chart... or your meds are wrong.... my husbands type 2, rides all the time, what do you run, or do you keep bottoming out???

Old 08-04-2007, 05:00 PM
ratzila
Tourer

When I first found out I had a sugar level of 475. After dieting and insulin shots it has got down to the to the upper 100's & low 200's.The dr. wantsme to get it down to the low to mid 100's & he will probably change me to pill medication. It will be a lot easier than having to carry insulin with me.Thanks for the replies . I'll be happy riding again soon.

[/align]

Old 08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
rhd01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had diabetes all my life watch your blood sugars and you will be fine .I care a meterand insulinwith me on long rides to make corrections if needed.If your not feeling right when riding stop check it out correct it and ride and enjoy.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:36 PM
D6CS
Tourer

Hey you are not alone I take insulin and have for many years. Omce you get under control you will feel a lot better and will know quite quickly if something is wrong with your sugar. Keep your meter close. I carry sugar tablets that I get at my local pharmacy so if i'm out ona ride and start feeling "low" a qick spot sugar test and a pop of a sugar tablet and I'm on my way.

The guys I ride with are all aware of my condition and make sure that meal stops are on time and check on me from time to time to make sure I'm OK ... True freinds.. Let your riding pals know what is going on and what to look for in a low or high blood sugar situation, and what to do in each.

It make take a little time but remember ( as a wise Dr. told me ) control your sugar levels, don't let your sugar levels control you.

Be safe ..take the extra time to check your sugars and ride .

GOOD LUCK

Old 08-04-2007, 05:40 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm 61,and atype II. Got 35,000 miles on my WideGlide. Been on oral medication since the mid 90's. DIET AND EXERCISE DIET AND EXERCISE DIET AND EXERCISE DIET AND EXERCISE DIET AND EXERCISE. You can't say it enough! No more donuts, McDonalds, candy bars. All that stuff has to go. If your Doctor hasn't sent you to a dietitian, go yourself. Listen to them, and follow their directions. Start reading labels, if sugar content is more than 1 digit,don't buy it. Get used to sugar free ice cream, chocolate, anything. Buy a glucose meter, check your blood sugar 3-4 times a day, you will learn what you can eat and when. Once you get your blood sugar under control you can lead a prettynormal life (read riding). Keep a couple hard candies in your bike just in case. High blood sugar has long term effects, low sugar will really screw with your equilibrium NOW. If you drink, slow way down, better yet, stop. You got enough problems with balance without booze adding to it. You will eventually 'feel' when your sugar is getting out of balance and be able to medicate before you fall down.

#1 Son is type I. He keeps his insulin pen and test kit in a tool bag on the handlebars of his Softail.

Just a reminder: DIET AND EXERCISE DIET AND EXERCISE DIET AND EXERCISE

Watching your diet, not drinking, and no donuts may be a pain in the ***, but the alternative is a lot worse.

Good Luck, you will learn to live with it, and your life will be back to almost normal.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Canedog
Cruiser

I too am a type 2 and here is a tip to remember. And I don't want to turn this into to a Doctors forum! There are two types of Carbs based upon the glycemic index. This is the key to how you feel and your swings in "sugar level". Type 2 is a piece of cake verses type 1, type 2 is ALL about diet and activity level it does not have the third factor of the body not have an organ not working at all.
So in saying all of this you need to do some reading on the types of carbs andget a grip on the GLYCEMIC index of the carbs. It is real simple ... some act fast and some act slow. Do some reading and you will be in good shape.
dog

Old 08-04-2007, 05:43 PM
JohnBoy1
Cruiser

I have had type1 (insulin dependent) diabetessince i was 16 months old, i am 22 now. I watch my sugars and eat often. My friends all know also that i have diabetes and know what to look for if i seem low or to high. Take breaks often when riding long distances because you may feel fine just sitting there riding but when you get up and go to walk around it may change.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ratzila, you're not ready yet. Your sugars are still out of control, and unstable. Until you can maintain a Hemaglobin A1C of 7% or less, stay off the bike.

Quick Reply: Diabetes and riding