Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diabetes and riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:06 PM
TraumaKing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diabetes and riding

Remember guys keep your diabetes in check if you are involved in any motor vehicle incident (no matter how minor) and it is determined it is due to hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia most states mandate a mandatory surrendering of your licsence until clear by a physician then you have to go before a board of retired physicians that are retained by state DMV's. This process can sometimes take 3-6 months. Check your levels often and be safe!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:13 PM
FLHRCI_King
Advanced

I'm Type II and I have never had a problem. My blood sugar is under control.

It does not sound like your blood sugar is under control yet. Has your doctor sent you to a diabetic education class? If not, that is an extremely important step in getting control of the situation.

Please take your health seriously. Diabetes can end your life way too soon if you do not take control of the situation.

Best wishes my friend!

Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 PM
belmac
Cruiser

i have type II also. i have noticed that when i ride my blood sugar goes down, from all the exercise you get from riding. don't think you are exercising? constantly working your hands and feet. pulling and pushing, yeah its the best kind of exercise and i do it every chance i get

Old 08-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Biggie
Advanced

ORIGINAL: D6CS

Hey you are not alone I take insulin and have for many years. Omce you get under control you will feel a lot better and will know quite quickly if something is wrong with your sugar. Keep your meter close. I carry sugar tablets that I get at my local pharmacy so if i'm out ona ride and start feeling "low" a qick spot sugar test and a pop of a sugar tablet and I'm on my way.

The guys I ride with are all aware of my condition and make sure that meal stops are on time and check on me from time to time to make sure I'm OK ... True freinds.. Let your riding pals know what is going on and what to look for in a low or high blood sugar situation, and what to do in each.

It make take a little time but remember ( as a wise Dr. told me ) control your sugar levels, don't let your sugar levels control you.

Be safe ..take the extra time to check your sugars and ride .

GOOD LUCK
I have been a Type 2 diabetic for about twelve years now . Everything you say is true. I ride with a good group of guys and everyone knows of each others medical problems. In our wallets wecarry papers and instructions on what to look for and what to do. Keep yourself fit and watch your glycemic levels and you will enjoy a many a mile on your scoot.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Dinger
Road Master

Type 2 here! Diagnosed in 2002.
Get in there with your doctor and test your blood regularly.
As mentioned above, exercise & diet. Always take your meds.
Curb your sugar habit.
Always keep some fruit juice in the fridge for hypoglycemia.

Be careful on the bike until you get your chemistry in check.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:40 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TraumaKing speaks the truth! If your blood sugar is not stabilized, stay off of your bike. If you have a diabetic episode, and happen to go down, injure yourself or somebody else, and that is attributed to your diabetes, you will loose your license. Then you won't be able to ride with out a physcians statement, a DMV review, and you must have not had another episode for a year before you can get your license back. Now, you have to ask yourself if it's really worththe risk, or just wait until you're stabilized with medication and diet.Only you can answer that question honestly.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 AM
silver1
Tourer

Also Type II....it has not slowed me down once I got control of it. Until you get it under control your bike is the last place you should be. Lots of stories here and they should give you hope...we can still ride.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:44 AM
vulhalla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im tyoe II
controled by meds, have never blacked out, always riding, I dont excercise, I try to eat right. I have changed my diet from 5 yers ago mainley cause im older, 41, dont eat as much crap. candy every now and then. moderation and small portions is the key as well.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:57 PM
ratzila
Tourer

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: bobcowan

Ratzila, you're not ready yet. Your sugars are still out of control, and unstable. Until you can maintain a Hemaglobin A1C of 7% or less, stay off the bike.
Thanks Bob. I am anxious to get back riding but still a little nervous about the possibility of blacking out. I am gonna wait a little longer to get my sugar level more stable. By the way the weather down south is stll crappy with the summer pattern of raining every afternoon so riding is out of the question[:@][/blockquote]