General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here not feel guilty about missing Bike Week?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007 | 04:23 PM
Hey Zeus
|
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here not feel guilty about missing Bike Week?

Not sure what provoked this question....maybe it's because thus far this weekend I have riden all over tarnation and back and have had a hell of a great time doing so.....maybe because of the thousands of times I've been asked, after someone finds out I ride, "so, are you going to bike week?" and my response is most all the time "uh, no". Not for any deliberate avoidance or because I have something wrong with bike weeks, but 1. all the bke weeks fall into my busy season (my business is very seasonal) and 2. I love having my bike to ride it, not trailer it half way across country or ride it 90 mph 2000 miles to sit and get drunk, drool over everyone else's 35,000 custom bike or to watch Paul Sr. and faimily give autographs.....of course many of the girls are gorgeous and there are some cool people there, but all in all, I don't feel guiltyor cheated at all if I don't make it to bike week. Is this strange?

Old 08-04-2007 | 04:36 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Anyone here not feel guilty about missing Bike Week?

Feel guilty? No. Daytona blows.

Old 08-04-2007 | 04:48 PM
Slope
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To each his own!

Different strokes for different folks!

Old 08-04-2007 | 05:02 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

My house is 20 minutes from Dayton beach. Guess I'll pretty much be at all of them here.

Old 08-04-2007 | 05:14 PM
gargoyle
Banned

sitting in traffic for hours man thats fun how could you not like trailer week?

Old 08-04-2007 | 07:06 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont feel guilty, but I wish I coulda gone. Wish I coulda gone to Sturgis too.

Old 08-04-2007 | 07:17 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if 20k people are going that way, im going the other way. Actually crusing with some buds over mountain passes and taken solo trips down the lonely highway is my thing, not crowded drunk fests.........Needless to say I wont be at sturgis either If thats your thing, have a good time and be carful. Its just not mine...........[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 08-04-2007 | 07:23 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

No guilt about missing bike week(s) here. I would like to attend Sturgis, Daytona (on a bike this time! Went to bike week in 92, but I was there with my uncle for the day), maybe a few others at least once to say I've been there, but it's not a huge priority in my life. I'll go to the AZ Bike Week, but then that's just about 10 miles north of me. I think I'll try for the Vegas Biketoberfest (I think that's what they call it) in the next year or so.

Old 08-04-2007 | 07:31 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

I'll probably never make Daytona, but Sturgis is another story...not this year but before I die I'll definitely make it there.

Old 08-04-2007 | 07:57 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Just an opinion...And you know what opinions have in common...

If you've never been to Daytona Bikeweek, Sturgis, Laconia, Myrtle Beach, etc. You need to go. Just because. Then you'll have a reason to either dis it or luv it.

I've been to a number of Bikeweeks since 1993. And have made a few BikeToberfests too. When/If I go back, I do Daytona for one day. It hasn't been any fun since 1994. Those that attend, will agree or disagree. But all have an understanding about 'where I'm coming from'. The local economy wants your money,they want you to have a good time based upon 'what they consider' to be a good time. $500 fine for flashing some female flesh? Come on. $4.00 Buds...I don't think so. No 'colors' (that include HOG patches)...Screw them. I've never had a problem at a BikeWeek. Never seen a problem. I'm certain there has been 'a problem'....Somewhere. But....

I've done one Sturgis. I liked the area. I liked the riding. I'll probably go back. I didn't like the crowds. Or the Premium theovercrowded campgrounds charged. Trust me, if you're not a crowd person...Stay away from National Bike Events. You will not have a good time.

Laconia...I will attend one...Probably next year...Along with Myrtle Beach...Just to do it. But I don't have any expectations for a great 'Adult Party'. I'm certain they have went the same route as all the other's have....Money and Family. Jeez, I luv my kids....I'd never take them in a stroller to a Bikeweek. But how many of my fellow Bro's have dodged them on Main Street?

Quick Reply: Anyone here not feel guilty about missing Bike Week?