General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here not feel guilty about missing Bike Week?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007 | 05:04 PM
Davesurf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone here not feel guilty about missing Bike Week?

I too would rather do a road trip, solo or with a few friends. I'm not into the crowds

Old 08-05-2007 | 05:11 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been to Daytona, Sturgis, Myrtle Beach and even to Little Sturgis in Kentucky. Out of all those rallies the best IMO was Myrtle Beach. Beautiful scenery, spread out and not in one central location.

Sturgis is a beautiful area and many places to see but the congestion is awful and not for me.

Old 08-05-2007 | 07:05 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the last few bike weeks and biketoberfests since I live just across the state from Daytona. But I'm not planning on Biketoberfest this year, and I don't feel guilty at all. Same huge crowds, seems like the same vendors in the exact same spots, bike overheating in traffic. It's good to go at least once, but now I'd like to go to one of the others somewhere else. But from the way it sounds, it looks like they're all pretty much the same. I think the time off would be better spent going down the road instead of crawling in traffic.

Old 08-17-2009 | 02:14 AM
hognuttz
1st Gear

we just got back from sturgis had agood time, but we were ready to come home.it rained and hailed a lot. every thing is getting so high priced the average joe like myself cant hardley aford it but the brotherhood of the bikers is unbeatable.i have met more frendly and helpful people there than any other place ihave been.we are headig to hawgstock this weekend and am hoping that the smaller crowds will make things a little slower pace.

Old 08-17-2009 | 03:13 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Sometimes I go, sometimes I don't! I like the speedway show and the races.

Old 08-17-2009 | 03:31 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daytona is close for me. 3 hour ride with camping gear strapped to my Ultra. I set up in a half hour and then take off to see the sites. Have to get to Main street early (before 9 AM) to park on it. Couple of hours of that is all I can stand. Then to the raceway for the sights. Back to the camp at the Cabbage Patch. Do the Bands and the sights at the Cabbage Patch then back to camp. Next day I usually do Destiination Daytona and the Iron Horse. I usually stay 3 to 4 nights if camping. Cost is $10 a night and always something going on at the Cabbage Patch, day or night. It is my get away and I usually meet some great people and have a great time. You can stay away from traffic by taking 95 and Hwy 1 North and South and back streets East and West. Ride safe

Old 08-17-2009 | 04:37 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Butcher
Not sure what provoked this question....maybe it's because thus far this weekend I have riden all over tarnation and back and have had a hell of a great time doing so.....maybe because of the thousands of times I've been asked, after someone finds out I ride, "so, are you going to bike week?" and my response is most all the time "uh, no". Not for any deliberate avoidance or because I have something wrong with bike weeks, but 1. all the bke weeks fall into my busy season (my business is very seasonal) and 2. I love having my bike to ride it, not trailer it half way across country or ride it 90 mph 2000 miles to sit and get drunk, drool over everyone else's 35,000 custom bike or to watch Paul Sr. and faimily give autographs.....of course many of the girls are gorgeous and there are some cool people there, but all in all, I don't feel guiltyor cheated at all if I don't make it to bike week. Is this strange?
I went to Bike week here in NH and wished I skipped it. Same old thing, stupid traffic and dumb people that shouldn't be riding bikes in heavy traffic. I should have spent the week touring the Maine seacoast instead of watching stupid people acting more stupid then normal and buying tee shirts that I don't need.

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:53 AM
summeroftom
6th Gear
Default How to open a business during the rally

http://newtonhills.blogspot.com/2010...is-during.html

Last edited by summeroftom; 02-07-2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2010 | 05:23 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To me it's like Sturgus. It probably would be worthwhile to go at least once.

Old 02-07-2010 | 06:05 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Not in the least.We have so many other events we try to get to,and other important things that always need doing.

Quick Reply: Anyone here not feel guilty about missing Bike Week?