General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the next motorcycle you’re thinking about

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021 | 10:39 AM
Dirty Dancer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
that is a nice looking 79 XT500. bought a brand new one when stationed in the bay area in 79, had so much fun on that bike and would get around 65mpg which was economical transportation on an enlisted mans pay. wish I still had it.
Strangely enough, this auction sounds almost exactly like your previous situation. A vet stationed in San Francisco who bought a 1979 XT500. You may want to go for it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184930673829

Watch this video first, however:

The following users liked this post:
Marsikus (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021 | 12:11 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
Just got back from a tour on the Street Glide with Cheryl (Ohio, WVA, VA, North Carolina). Between the drivers and the interstates Cheryl and I decided we're done with long distance touring. It's just not fun for us at this point in time........
Just curious what changed on this trip vs others that you took, and seemed to really enjoy? I had a wonderful trip two weeks ago down through WV and VA. On a day ride Monday I encountered 4 guys riding BMW GSA's on their way back from Montana to eastern PA and they were gushing about what a great ride and time they had and were trying to figure out how to get off work to do more rides like that. I guess near certain destinations overall traffic and travel is up this year from mass post covid escape. There've always been bad drivers so I take it you encountered more on this ride than previous. Were the same Interstates you've ridden before, worse on this trip, or did you take different ones? How was your weather?
I've considered doing away with traveling by motorcycle and getting something still fun but more civilized like a convertible sports car. Then after taking a motorcycle back out I realize that time hasn't come yet, but I can envision the time coming at some point.

Old 07-09-2021 | 12:52 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Just curious what changed on this trip vs others that you took, and seemed to really enjoy? I had a wonderful trip two weeks ago down through WV and VA. On a day ride Monday I encountered 4 guys riding BMW GSA's on their way back from Montana to eastern PA and they were gushing about what a great ride and time they had and were trying to figure out how to get off work to do more rides like that. I guess near certain destinations overall traffic and travel is up this year from mass post covid escape. There've always been bad drivers so I take it you encountered more on this ride than previous. Were the same Interstates you've ridden before, worse on this trip, or did you take different ones? How was your weather?
I've considered doing away with traveling by motorcycle and getting something still fun but more civilized like a convertible sports car. Then after taking a motorcycle back out I realize that time hasn't come yet, but I can envision the time coming at some point.
It's been long in coming I guess. Cheryl had some physical issues that kept her off the bike - hip surgery and the knee issue that damn near killed her, as mentioned in another thread. So our two up riding has been limited. She's back up to speed and she was looking forward to our trip. I hauled the bike past Chicago and got all the major interstate stuff out of the way. We started in Marietta Ohio, which could be considered a gateway to some pretty excellent riding, not the least of which was the Back of the Dragon (awesome - better than the ToD imo). We had a nice day of riding on twisty two lane mountainous roads.

But our return trip was on slab. It was borne of necessity that we make time. It should have been a nice, quick interstate ride through the Blue Ridge Mountains and Appalachians. Instead it was a morass of idiots driving like they were insane, temps in the upper 90s, terrible road conditions, and just an overall shitty time. They say a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work, but the same can't be said for motorcycle riding. For the first time I was in real fear for our lives. People were nuts and instead of watching out for our vulnerabilities, they took advantage of them. Frankly, the ride left me disgusted with human nature altogether.

That wasn't the only time I've been displeased with a ride. I rode out to the Black Hills to meet some great folks from right here on HDF. Meeting up with them made it all worth it. But I will say that the road conditions were once again horrible. I-90 through Minnesota just plain sucks. It beat the hell out of my suspension. I can't imagine the Dalton Highway being any worse. Then again with 101 degrees, massive crosswinds at my 10 0'clock, limited range due to the wind, etc........I was ready to hang it up then.

Which sounds like a bunch of bitching, which it is. At a certain point I guess one needs to decide if it's fun or not anymore. And anything having to do with the interstate or the general public just isn't any fun, or even tolerable to me. And I think this COVID rebound has made things much worse. Everything is crowded and people's patience (including mine) has evaporated. I really feel like people are willing to kill over minor things and road rage is a big part pf that.

But as mentioned, I'm not hanging up the spurs - just a change of venue. We'll keep the trips down to a day, two at the most. We'll pick good weather days and stay the hell off the interstate.

I also want a better bike. I'm finally at the point where the Street Glide just isn't the right tool for the job. It's suspension (albeit modified) just cannot cope with our horrible Midwest roads. It's too slow. It handles okay, but not great. And at 55K, it's feeling worn out.

Today I'm looking at a 2016 BMW RT Premium. It probably won't fit my long legs. I haven't sat on a newer one. But if it fits, I'll probably trade my FJ09 and the Street Glide in on it, leave with some cash in my pocket and a bike I can put Cheryl on and cruise comfortably for weekend getaways, or even tear it up a bit with friends.

Walter White (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021 | 01:17 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

I understand. My RK is a pretty comfortable tourer..... on fairly smooth roads. It also puts out a good bit of heat with temps up around 90 degrees. So riding in 90+ temps on rough roads would probably have me stopping at a Mazda dealer to trade it on a Miata!

I've not heard RT owners complaining much of excess heat and the ride will be a lot nicer than a Street Glide. I have a 2016 R1200RS and it's suspension is plush on gravel and broken up paved roads. One thing to be aware of (if you're not already) is the issue of soft cams in a number of the R1200 series. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...n-your-wethead My friend had a 2016 RT which had to have the cams replaced. I would at least have them inspected which is easy enough to do. I need to do so on my RS sometime but it only has 1,400 miles so it may need more before it can be seen.

nevada72 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021 | 02:07 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
It's been long in coming I guess. Cheryl had some physical issues that kept her off the bike - hip surgery and the knee issue that damn near killed her, as mentioned in another thread. So our two up riding has been limited. She's back up to speed and she was looking forward to our trip. I hauled the bike past Chicago and got all the major interstate stuff out of the way. We started in Marietta Ohio, which could be considered a gateway to some pretty excellent riding, not the least of which was the Back of the Dragon (awesome - better than the ToD imo). We had a nice day of riding on twisty two lane mountainous roads.

But our return trip was on slab. It was borne of necessity that we make time. It should have been a nice, quick interstate ride through the Blue Ridge Mountains and Appalachians. Instead it was a morass of idiots driving like they were insane, temps in the upper 90s, terrible road conditions, and just an overall shitty time. They say a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work, but the same can't be said for motorcycle riding. For the first time I was in real fear for our lives. People were nuts and instead of watching out for our vulnerabilities, they took advantage of them. Frankly, the ride left me disgusted with human nature altogether.

That wasn't the only time I've been displeased with a ride. I rode out to the Black Hills to meet some great folks from right here on HDF. Meeting up with them made it all worth it. But I will say that the road conditions were once again horrible. I-90 through Minnesota just plain sucks. It beat the hell out of my suspension. I can't imagine the Dalton Highway being any worse. Then again with 101 degrees, massive crosswinds at my 10 0'clock, limited range due to the wind, etc........I was ready to hang it up then.

Which sounds like a bunch of bitching, which it is. At a certain point I guess one needs to decide if it's fun or not anymore. And anything having to do with the interstate or the general public just isn't any fun, or even tolerable to me. And I think this COVID rebound has made things much worse. Everything is crowded and people's patience (including mine) has evaporated. I really feel like people are willing to kill over minor things and road rage is a big part pf that.

But as mentioned, I'm not hanging up the spurs - just a change of venue. We'll keep the trips down to a day, two at the most. We'll pick good weather days and stay the hell off the interstate.

I also want a better bike. I'm finally at the point where the Street Glide just isn't the right tool for the job. It's suspension (albeit modified) just cannot cope with our horrible Midwest roads. It's too slow. It handles okay, but not great. And at 55K, it's feeling worn out.

Today I'm looking at a 2016 BMW RT Premium. It probably won't fit my long legs. I haven't sat on a newer one. But if it fits, I'll probably trade my FJ09 and the Street Glide in on it, leave with some cash in my pocket and a bike I can put Cheryl on and cruise comfortably for weekend getaways, or even tear it up a bit with friends.
I hear you and echo most of this. Wife and I decided a few years ago we were pretty much done with interstate riding…at least anything more than a short distance. We still take trips but its back roads or trailer somewhere and then ride. We just do not enjoy the busy areas on the interstate and added stress. We will add more time as necessary to avoid the interstate.

i don’t mind the heat or even rain as long as its not a monsoon…but hate interstate riding.

The following 2 users liked this post by stratplexi:
nevada72 (07-09-2021), Walter White (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021 | 07:22 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ridewva
I understand. My RK is a pretty comfortable tourer..... on fairly smooth roads. It also puts out a good bit of heat with temps up around 90 degrees. So riding in 90+ temps on rough roads would probably have me stopping at a Mazda dealer to trade it on a Miata!

I've not heard RT owners complaining much of excess heat and the ride will be a lot nicer than a Street Glide. I have a 2016 R1200RS and it's suspension is plush on gravel and broken up paved roads. One thing to be aware of (if you're not already) is the issue of soft cams in a number of the R1200 series. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...n-your-wethead My friend had a 2016 RT which had to have the cams replaced. I would at least have them inspected which is easy enough to do. I need to do so on my RS sometime but it only has 1,400 miles so it may need more before it can be seen.
Funny about the Miata. I echoed a similar sentiment when we got back to the hotel the other day. I told Cheryl, once we were off the bike, that I've never been so worried for our safety and that I felt like pulling the bike off at a dealership and trading it on a convertible. So I guess we are very like minded.

So you guys get the preview. It's not in the driveway until tomorrow (unless something goes wrong, which I doubt). Out with the old (on right) and in with the new (left) -

I traded my Street Glide and Yamaha in on it and walked away with some cash. Overall I'm happy with the deal financially and ecstatic to be onto my new model for riding. The RT has 19K miles, all options, extended warranty, clean as a whistle one owner bike. I took it for a test ride. I haven't been on a water-cooled RT yet. It does not disappoint. Deceptively fast. I took it on the interstate (yes, to experience it under the worst conditions) and I ran it through the gears using the shift assist or whatever its called - basically get on it and just shift, no clutch. I thought Hmmm......pretty zippy. Looked down at the speedo and I was doing 110. I had no idea. I figured I was going 80 or so. The FJ09 is super fast, but you know it. 110 feels like 150.

Other than that, smooth as silk. The expansion joints that would have had me swearing had little effect ion my comfort. The heat from the motor was non-existent, although it's only 73 degrees. But I rode the Harley and I felt the motor heat. And Cheryl mentioned it as well. The electric windshield is a dream. Heated seat, grips, hill start, etc.......pretty hard to go wrong.

And I fit the bike. Is it 14 hours comfortable as far as leg position goes like the Street Glide? Nope. But I don't plan on spending that much time in the saddle anymore anyway. This will be our ride to the Mississippi and back bike (6 hours). That's about it for the near future.

So to answer the question - What's the next bike? Now you have my answer.

Oh, and I'll have the dealer check the cams. As mentioned, I have an extended warranty and it looks like BMW would cover it anyway.

Last edited by nevada72; 07-09-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Walter White (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021 | 07:45 PM
Pinelimbs
Banned
Veteran: Navy

I was thinking about a sweet looking, low mile, original Honda 305 Dream on the Bring a Trailer auction right now, but at $11,000 right now and the auction still going on, I'm not thinking about it anymore.

Old 07-09-2021 | 07:45 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Congrats on your "new" Beemer. There should be ergo accessories, like foot peg lowering brackets, available.

Last edited by RK4ME; 07-09-2021 at 10:54 PM.
nevada72 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021 | 07:52 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Pinelimbs
I was thinking about a sweet looking, low mile, original Honda 305 Dream on the Bring a Trailer auction right now, but at $11,000 right now and the auction still going on, I'm not thinking about it anymore.
Damn! Maybe I should list mine!

ChrisHo (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021 | 07:54 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
How are you liking the Beemer? Im thinking of trying one as a second bike to keep out west.
I can't get enough of it! Smooth, fast and handles great. Riding it to Maggie Valley from Va Beach next week. Should be a fun bike out west!

Quick Reply: What is the next motorcycle you’re thinking about