General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the next motorcycle you’re thinking about

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021 | 03:39 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Some yes, the V7 did but my Griso 1100 and other utilize CARC which is similar to BMW's system.

Old 07-07-2021 | 03:51 PM
lapinobel
Cruiser

Pretty curious about the new (supposedly) Sportster next tuesday. Might as well be something that appeals to me more. Unsure about the comfort aspect though but guess reviews will be aplenty.

Attached Thumbnails -041921-harley-davidson-custom-1250-near-production-633x389.png  
Old 07-07-2021 | 05:20 PM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master
Veteran: Army

If I sold my Concourse 14, I'd buy a new 'Wing with DCT.

If I bought a new bike tomorrow, I'd look very hard at a retro Truimph or a Royal Enfield.

If I bought used, I'd have to have another 4th gen VFR. Or a ZRX 1200. Or, I'd look very hard at 50/60 year old HD and early Indians. Maybe even a gently used Sportster.

However, I'm not buying, so yesterday after 9 years of gathering dust I wheeled my '85 V65 Sabre on the lift and yanked that godforesaken carb rack out and started at it. Carb one has been run through the ultrasonic cleaner with new shiny parts and O rings ready to go in.

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-07-2021 | 09:19 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Not sure about the BMW that you are considering, but if it has the boxer engine and shaft drive, be aware that a hard acceleration in a turn [don't remember if it's right, left or both] has a tendency to force the bike upright. It's subtle and certainly manageable, but something to be aware of.
You may be thinking about what used to be called "shaft jacking". Under hard acceleration, the rear end of the bike would rise a bit in reaction to the pinion gear trying to climb the ring gear in the differential. If the throttle was "chopped" at full lean in a turn or corner, with a valve cover being very close to the pavement, the rear end might drop enough to cause the valve cover to contact the pavement. I imagine that premium shocks and a swingarm brace might help reduce the effects of shaft jacking on an older bike. As has been said, the Paralever setup solved the shaft jacking issue, which was a non issue for me.

Last edited by RK4ME; 07-07-2021 at 10:24 PM.
sailmotion (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 07:48 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Just got back from a tour on the Street Glide with Cheryl (Ohio, WVA, VA, North Carolina). Between the drivers and the interstates Cheryl and I decided we're done with long distance touring. It's just not fun for us at this point in time. The Street Glide did it's job as well as always. But we only had it for trips so it's going for sale. I figured I would sell before the miles get too high (At 55K) and the while the market is strong. I'm also selling my FJ09. Another great bike but I'm having a bit of a paradigm shift I guess. Again, the drivers and the roads are taking all the fun out of riding for me. I'll keep my vintage bikes and Cheryl will keep her Moto Guzzi V7, which doesn't have the torque effect by the way.

I thought long and hard about what to replace the Street Glide with before coming to my change of heart on riding, but there's nothing out there I want. An RT1250 would fit my needs but I don't fit the bike. Honestly, right now no one makes a bike for me, which makes my decision easier. I need a middleweight bike that fits my frame (6-5), can seat two comfortably, has power, a good suspension, and looks good. If Harley Davidson would make the sport tourer we're all talking about, and it fit me, I could be drawn back in. But for now I'm out.

Walter White (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021 | 07:52 AM
Oko
Club Member

Sorry to hear that Nevada. At least stick around HDF!

Old 07-08-2021 | 07:55 AM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member

Kawasaki Concours. FJ1300 are both great bikes and reliable. HP and torque are there

Old 07-08-2021 | 09:11 AM
Airborne06
Tourer

Originally Posted by E-clip
I’m contemplating a Road Glide.
HD Pan America; BMW K1600 Grand America; BMW R 1250 RT

Old 07-08-2021 | 10:00 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
Just got back from a tour on the Street Glide with Cheryl (Ohio, WVA, VA, North Carolina). Between the drivers and the interstates Cheryl and I decided we're done with long distance touring. It's just not fun for us at this point in time. The Street Glide did it's job as well as always. But we only had it for trips so it's going for sale. I figured I would sell before the miles get too high (At 55K) and the while the market is strong. I'm also selling my FJ09. Another great bike but I'm having a bit of a paradigm shift I guess. Again, the drivers and the roads are taking all the fun out of riding for me. I'll keep my vintage bikes and Cheryl will keep her Moto Guzzi V7, which doesn't have the torque effect by the way.

I thought long and hard about what to replace the Street Glide with before coming to my change of heart on riding, but there's nothing out there I want. An RT1250 would fit my needs but I don't fit the bike. Honestly, right now no one makes a bike for me, which makes my decision easier. I need a middleweight bike that fits my frame (6-5), can seat two comfortably, has power, a good suspension, and looks good. If Harley Davidson would make the sport tourer we're all talking about, and it fit me, I could be drawn back in. But for now I'm out.
I just went through 8 months of no motorcycle only to have the SG fall into my lap. I got such a good deal, I'll hang onto it. Traffic is still a big concern for me. There were 3 multi car accidents on my 7 mile ride to work this morning. No idea why since we just went through a tropical storm which cleaned the roads and the sun was out this morning.

I had a RG form 13-16 but my riding style and desire changed so I traded it inl I actually never missed it.

The 1250 custom is looking less of a motorcycle that will meet my needs. I'm a bit disappointed about the single disc front brake system and detuned PA motor. The 2020 Vmax that only 2 dealers in central FL still have is still tugging at me.

Good luck to you and Cheryl. When riding becomes a chore, it is time to change it up or move onto something else for awhile.

Old 07-08-2021 | 10:07 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Please read the title/topic of this thread.
Please read the posts that say they would buy a new Harley if only they'd make a Honda Goldwing.

Quick Reply: What is the next motorcycle you’re thinking about