General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing mufflers on an '06 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:49 PM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing mufflers on an '06 Street Bob

Hey guys, I finally got to posting two months after getting my new Street Bob. I have been so busy racking up 2K miles and having a blast that i have not had much computer time. Here is a pic:

Anyways the bike is too quiet and I wong get a set of Screaming Eagle IIs until Christmas. I have removed the mufflers to try and drill out the baffles. I have no idea what i am doing.

First, what will happen if I run the bike with no mufflers? Engine Damage?

Secondly, if i want to drill out the baffles, I presume that i just stick a long drill bit down them and drill them out? What size hole do I put through them to still have correct back pressure?

Thanks for the advice!

Old 11-07-2005, 09:47 PM
JeffD
Tourer
Default RE: Removing mufflers on an '06 Street Bob

Get a hole saw bit, and drill them out. My Dad drilled his stock Dyna pipes out before switching to SE2's, and it was a simple deal. Just match up the hole saw bit with thesize of the pipe, and it will cut out the spot welds holding the baffles in.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:10 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you run the bike with no mufflers you will damage the engine. If you drill out your stock pipes, you will void the warranty on the power train. Get an extra set of Dyna mufflers off ebay and save your stockers for trips to the dealer. 95-04 mufflers fit fine and they are dirt cheap.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

Love black rifles.

I have a set of 03' LowRider pipes that may work for ya...not sure though. They are brand new...I never used em'

Old 11-10-2005, 01:31 AM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thot i read somewhere that on the 06 dynas the baffles won't just come out like the old ones (i could be wrong)
Just check with your dealer about voiding warranty. Most dealers don't care. Dealers around here pop them out for you before you even take the bike home. The whole 'void your warranty' thing is very different from dealer to dealer. Most dealers have common sense and will cover stuff they know wasn't your fault no matter what the mods are. If you do something really obviously wrong or stupid and mess up your motor, then don't expect them to pay to fix it.

Old 11-12-2005, 08:40 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can buy aftermarket mufflers for $100. And they are engineered to increase performance.

Old 11-13-2005, 12:05 AM
SteveB
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definatly be careful with that one, if the engine had EFI or Carb. Every time you open up that exhaust more you have to compensate at the intake or fuel mixture. I am not real familiar with EFI models and they just might compensate for this but check more into it.
Too lean a mixture can overheat the engine, turn that oil into vapor, and roast those valves, and cause all sorts of damage.
At the very least you could be stuck waiting for the bike to cool down at someplace you don't want to be.