General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Refused to Sell Me a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Refused to Sell Me a Bike

I'm inclined to believe that there is more to the California connection here than meets the eye. Emissions? Registration issues?Licensing? Lots of oddities possible. Maybe someone from California can enlighten us.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

WTF???? Too much paperwork??? Now how much paper would it be $19,000 let us say ...in 20's??? What an idiot!

And on top of everything you got so frustrated and confused that you ended up thinking that the Heritage looks as good as the Fatboy... My God!!!

Enjoy your new bike, ride safe.

Mimo.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting story. Sounds like the folks my family had to deal with around here. My uncle was shopping for his Heritages. My uncle had cash, yes I mean cash money in hand. He told our local dealer he wanted two heritages for 20,000 each out the door. The sales manager told him he could not sell them for that price. My uncle informed him he would just go to another shop, and the manager stated, "they are not allowed to sell you a bike unless you live in their area". Anyways, my uncle went to another shop further away who said, "YES, we will sell you two heritages out the door for 20 grand each. They even got a lot of extras. Do remember this took place back in 2000-2001.

Same story just different shop.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Do you really want to buy a bike from California if you don't have to? Seems to me they are going to run even hotter and have even more emissions crap for them. Isn't that the way it usually works for Cal?

Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

The only difference in emissions on 07 Ca. bikes is the evap.cannister.
I live Sparks, Nv and the Reno dealer orders all Ca. bikes. They have alot of Ca. buyers as many live closer to Reno than Ca. dealers.
I bought a new truck from a dealer in Ca. a few years ago. Wasn't much extra paper work. They even delivered the truck to me. Went to a Notary then a few days later to DMV. The saless tax is collected by the owner's state.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 PM
SaltyBagger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard you can't register a bike in California if it is newer than 2 years old and bought out of state. Maybe this is the reverse side of that.

Just buy your bike from Zion's HD and enjoy the ride out to California knowing youspent the money in your own back yard.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:05 PM
mr.hammond
Road Captain

lazy dealer.plain and simple.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

Heck, when I tried to buy a bike from the Chico, CA dealership in 97, they told me they wouldn't sell me one because I lived in Sacramento (less than 100 miles away). They said that they would only sell to locals because they want to be sure to get the parts & service business on every bike they sell.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:18 PM
AHVeil
Cruiser

A similar thing happened to my uncle a few years ago. He went in to buyan Anniversary edition bike (can't remember which) back in '03, but, since he hadn't taken the MSF course--he was a new rider at the time--the dealer wouldn't sell it too him!! He was localandhe hadcash in hand! What do you think...better or worse than the "too much paperwork" excuse? Safety first, I guess.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:30 PM
darkside
Banned

That's just a Sh!tty dealership plain and simple.There are no major rules to sell to someone out of California since these bikes are 50 state compliant.Post the name of the dealership so folks in the area can spend their money with someone that deserves it.Getting a bike into Calif. is a little tougher since they have to have 7500 miles on them before you can register an out of state bike. I assume they do this to keeppeople from circumventing the emissions issue with Ca.(lame I know) I hate to say it but most of the dealers in this area are horrible as well unless your looking for a 100 dollar shirt that's worth 30 bucks.[:@]

Quick Reply: Dealer Refused to Sell Me a Bike