General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matter of time

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:15 PM
floydpink
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matter of time

Reading Kolni's post about his unfortunate accident had another reply in it that I find a little curious as well as disturbing and has poped up a few times in my time here and I have heard it around some of the events I have attended. It has two versions:

1. If you ride enough, you're GONNA go down.
2. It's a good thing you got the first one over with (crash)

I am not discrediting this but have been riding over 25 years and was run off the road once and broadsided once.

I am getting to the age where I am not so sure how I will heal up if this happens again and am not smart enough to wear a helmet here in Florida.

Are these statements pretty much accepted as truth?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:25 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Matter of time

We all go down, it's just a question of how bad it will be when it happens.

I'm like you, Pete, I'm too dang stupid or too dang hard headed to wear a helmet. I just hate them, and I know everytime I ride that I'm increasing the risks. But then again, even if I were wearing full body armor (like a knight in shining ...) it would still hurt when I go down.

At 49 I know that my body just doesn't heal like it used to. Bruises take longer to go away and the aches seem to hang on forever. So I'm not looking forward to anything more than a tip over, even though the chances are that it will happen. I guess it's all a matter of how invincible you feel or how bad it really is when it finally does happen (again). Until then ... let's ride!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

This gets back to that thing I believe in called fate. Be careful yes.But am I going to worry about it ,....no.
If it was meant to happen,..it probably will. Thinkabout it like this,.....the reason you went down is because God wanted you to. If God had not written it into your fate to crash at that exact moment,....mabey you would have gone another 10 miles,..and then a tractor trailer would have run over you and killed you.
And if someone is killed in a crash think of it like this. his dying probably altered the course of some elses life permanently,...mabey it was the emt who responed,...or the cop,...or the guy who stopped to help,....mabey it was in thier fate to cause them to not do what they would normally be doing so that they themselves,..or someone else involved could go home that night and see thier daughter.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM
floydpink
Tourer

Wow, we have the trilogy of likeminded riders.

I agree with what you said so much it's scary Seth. I guess we're all dealt a hand of cards when we are born and no matter how you play your hand, you are folding when the big man tells you to.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

Yea,..I'm not going to tempt fate by driving fast or crazy...or intentionally put myself in harms way,...but I've always believed that in living day to day,....your path has already been written to some degree.
I see so much horrible sh*t in society today,..that I HAVE to believe that theres a higher power taking control , and he's got his reasons.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just believe in the helter skelter theory. **** happens.
Tom

Old 08-03-2007, 03:55 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to be careful what you are thinking, the other day I was cranking it through a 60mph sweeper. The bike started pogoing(as usual for my ridgid) and for just a second I saw myself laying it down. I snapped out of it and relaxed the rest of the way through the curve. That thought did break my concentration and I felt a twinge of fear. I have dropped bikes before and it seemed to come out of nowhere. On backtracking I have found an oil slick, water draining across the road at an apex and some sand dropped by whoever in the middle of the road. Lucky to have low sided each time and not been badly hurt.I don't wear a helmet for short rides, but at my lady's request wear a full face for longer rides.

If you think negative while riding, your chances of have a negative result increase.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

You know what else,.....it's been my observation,....people who have car wrecks, bike wrecks,accidents,...........will have more car wrecks, bike wrecks, accidents,..........I don't know ?Bad Carma? Spirits following them around?

I've got a good friend at work,...he's a very bright guy,.....but anything that can go wrong around him,...will,.....and it continues this way, and he even gets so frustrated,...he'll look at me and just say.."did you see that?"......."only me",....." that could've only happened to me"

Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM
vegashd
Banned

I do not go out with the notion that we all go down sometime. I have never been down knock on wood. But I do not plan on going down (like any of else do) So I do not buy intot the theory that we all go down some time. If my senses are good and I ride like i am paying attention hopefully I will never have that happen to me. But i do not say we al will.... cause i hope NONE of us ever do. I will NEVER go down.. positive way of thinking is the only way to get through life.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:16 PM
mr.hammond
Road Captain

very good points.the fact is,you could get run over by a bus just going outside to check your mail.you could get west nile virus and die from a mosquito bite.you get my point.my fate was already written thousands of years ago by a much higher power.have i sworn and promised to ride safe and responsibley?you know it.can i physically control the idiot cagers actions?no.all i can do is observe all around me,try to stay out of harms way,and not tempt fate,and try to safely enjoy this.

Quick Reply: Matter of time