General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matter of time

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Matter of time

Hightened awareness is extremely important riding, even on a country road, deer and other critters darting into your path will put you down as fast as a veering car or truck. Its unfortunate but daydreaming probably causes more bike accidents that cell phone do car wrecks. "there is no such thing as paranoia when riding".

P.S. I think 3 survived laydowns in 50 yrs of riding ain't too bad. I credit my early martial arts training for minimizing the damage. Tuck and roll.

Before you mount up, say the biker's prayer...Please God don"t let them kill me!

Old 08-03-2007, 06:15 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Seth

You know what else,.....it's been my observation,....people who have car wrecks, bike wrecks,accidents,...........will have more car wrecks, bike wrecks, accidents,..........I don't know ?Bad Carma? Spirits following them around?

I've got a good friend at work,...he's a very bright guy,.....but anything that can go wrong around him,...will,.....and it continues this way, and he even gets so frustrated,...he'll look at me and just say.."did you see that?"......."only me",....." that could've only happened to me"
Alright now, get outta my head!![8D]

Ya know, I was not gonna post, I had nothin' real new to add, as I pretty much agreed with most of the previous responces.

Then this one kinda grabbed me because this describes my history-ish. Before I get delt the opinions, let me tell ya, I've already heard them all..... that said,

Hi, my name is Judy, and I am an accident magnet. I have been thru def. driving courses, yes, the MSF too, and my testimony is this. All have tought me to keep my eyes peeled, anticipate others to do the stupid thing it looks like they're gonna do, and be prepared for it!..... after that, skills can help mimimize the outcome, and evasive actions can change the ending. I have avoided more accidents, than I have been involved in, and reduced the severity of some I could not avoid. I have walked away from all, with no lasting effects, and no major injuries. I believe this is because....
I have made God the master of my life, and I let Him worry about when I get to meet Him .

Ok, let er rip

Old 08-03-2007, 06:20 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The old saying has been twisted a little bit over time. It used to be: There are two kinds of bikers, those that have dropped their bikes and those that will. Notice that there is a difference in dropping a bike and "going down".

I've been riding 65 years and have never been involved in a collision with another vehicle. The closest I have ever cometo being involved in an accident with another vehicle was probably two months ago when a speeding motorist lost control on a curve while coming at me andin trying to correct it he flipped his car immediately behind me as I passed. That was on a two lane road in the mountains.

I think that my own experiences, or perhaps lack of them, arethe reasons I have such strong negative feelings about the"loud pipes save lives" crowd. Of all the riding I've done, that was really the only "real close" encounter I have ever had and nothing, including air horns or straight pipes would have saved my butt were it not for a large dose of luck.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Cobeslayer
Cruiser

Amen brotha......ever vigilent, is what I keep telling myself as I cruise down the road. I can only do the best I can do, after that.....it ain't in my hands. I honestly believe that I don't ever "have" to go down.....I only pray that if it happens, I ain't "out of commission" any longer than I need to be.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 PM
B dog
Banned

FATE ? Are we saying God says you get hurt and you suffer and you die ??????? As anyone knows that has ever studied the bible the whole game is about CHOICE. We all have choice and make them every day in our lives. Will God protect us if we ask > Sure . Look in job where satan said God had a hedge around job where Satan couldn't get to him. I don't think God has ever ment any harm on anyone, rather it has been by our choices.
First , if were going to ride a motorcycle ,we need to except the probabilities of an accident and the aftermath. SAME AS IN A CAR. There were over 45,000 deaths in america last year in automobiles. There were only 4,500 on motorcycles . It all has to do with our choices. Chose to ware a helment or protective clothing or taking courses to make you a better driver or drive the speed limit and dont drink and drive......but we make our choices to NOT do these things and we pay the consciouences.
Over 48% of the motorcycle accidents last year didn't involve a car at all. the biker lost control.
After my accident, I took the time while healing to reflect and learn how to prevent and be safer. Strange everything i learned goes against the HARLEY BIKER LOOK. Ever watch the sport bike races ? Those guys go faster than we will ever go on our Harleys yet they fall off and crash and for the most part they get up and walk off. EVER WONDER WHY ? They know theres going to be an accident sooner or later, especially if you push it so they prepare for it. Do most harley riders ? NO. In fact , we're going the opposite for the sake of LOOKING COOL. Another choice. And we wonder why cagers look at us like were stupid. Well heres your sign. As for myself, I will take all the knowledge and safety equipment i can handle and still be comfortable. Its my choice. I like my skin and I feel God would be more likely to protect one of his children if they made an effort to protect thereselves. IF YOU CHOOSE TO SMOKE A BULLET, EXCEPT THE FACT YOUR GOING TO HAVE A NEW ORIFICE.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you DONT think that way you will become complacent, thats when your lunch will get eaten by another. My take.....

I have been down on the road more than once, more than twice, more than 3 times. Heck, if I count the dirt, prolly more than 50
ORIGINAL: floydpink

Reading Kolni's post about his unfortunate accident had another reply in it that I find a little curious as well as disturbing and has poped up a few times in my time here and I have heard it around some of the events I have attended. It has two versions:

1. If you ride enough, you're GONNA go down.
2. It's a good thing you got the first one over with (crash)

I am not discrediting this but have been riding over 25 years and was run off the road once and broadsided once.

I am getting to the age where I am not so sure how I will heal up if this happens again and am not smart enough to wear a helmet here in Florida.

Are these statements pretty much accepted as truth?

Old 08-03-2007, 07:08 PM
x2lee
Banned

You've impressed me Seth.

This gets back to that thing I believe in called fate. Be careful yes.But am I going to worry about it ,....no.
If it was meant to happen,..it probably will. Thinkabout it like this,.....the reason you went down is because God wanted you to. If God had not written it into your fate to crash at that exact moment,....mabey you would have gone another 10 miles,..and then a tractor trailer would have run over you and killed you.
And if someone is killed in a crash think of it like this. his dying probably altered the course of some elses life permanently,...mabey it was the emt who responed,...or the cop,...or the guy who stopped to help,....mabey it was in thier fate to cause them to not do what they would normally be doing so that they themselves,..or someone else involved could go home that night and see thier daughter.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

You know what else,.....it's been my observation,....people who have car wrecks, bike wrecks,accidents,...........will have more car wrecks, bike wrecks, accidents,..........I don't know ?
I don't think that always applies!

Are you speaking "At Fault" or just wrecks in general?

I'm some what inclined to agree with those "At Fault" but just wrecks in general, I don't agree with that statement as much.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

ORIGINAL: x2lee

You've impressed me Seth.

This gets back to that thing I believe in called fate. Be careful yes.But am I going to worry about it ,....no.
If it was meant to happen,..it probably will. Thinkabout it like this,.....the reason you went down is because God wanted you to. If God had not written it into your fate to crash at that exact moment,....mabey you would have gone another 10 miles,..and then a tractor trailer would have run over you and killed you.
And if someone is killed in a crash think of it like this. his dying probably altered the course of some elses life permanently,...mabey it was the emt who responed,...or the cop,...or the guy who stopped to help,....mabey it was in thier fate to cause them to not do what they would normally be doing so that they themselves,..or someone else involved could go home that night and see thier daughter.
glad I still could impress.,.....

I've ridden ALOT.

I've ridden rice,....and crotches,....and dirt bikes,...hell,..even broke my neck on a dirt bike in 1997.
Today,..I just thought that I'd show some of you the "real me",...in light of all my shananagins I usually pull on here.Most of you guys I admire. In my heart , I know that most of you are exactly as me. Some of you tell me this all the time. Some of you tell me I'm a dumbass. Anyways,...I'd love to share the road with any of you anytime.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:37 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's never enough, that said, we allhave choices full face helmet, heavy leather, boots, dress to go down or not. Hedge your bets or not. I've been lucky or blessed, hard to tell the difference after 33 years of motorcycles, never seriously hurt, although couple of times were close. I ride because I have to, I mitigate the odds by being careful and alert, that's the best you can do. Peace

Quick Reply: Matter of time