General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good mechanics in the Phoenix area

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default RE: Good mechanics in the Phoenix area

ORIGINAL: Time2ride

I had tires and a 15K service done at Bikers Bay, was treated well. The only thing that bothered me was their choice of oil filters. I found out after the fact that they use EMCO filters, which I've never heard of and couldn't find in any major manufacturers cross over list, and very limited info on EMCO is available. Asked about them on aforum and was told they're a bargain basement filter.Really pissed me off to have an off brand filter on a 07 bike- a failure would've voided my warranty in a heart beat, so I had tobuy a Harley filter and change it.So Bikers Bay is out for me. They do have reasonable prices, but damn, a toilet paper filter on an 07 bike?!? I guess you get what you pay for....
Why would that have voided your warranty? I've read that EMGO (not EMCO btw) filters meet and exceed all manufacturers warranties. Plus, on top of that, BB will use pretty much any oil you ask for, so why would that be any different if you want a specific filter? It doesn't have to be a Harley filter to keep the warranty valid you know.....

And, I have to ask, why didn't you ask what filters they were going to use anyways? While they could've been more up-front about it, it's your responsibility to know what's going on/in your bike too!

Old 08-05-2007, 02:09 AM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

ORIGINAL: Time2ride

I had tires and a 15K service done at Bikers Bay, was treated well. The only thing that bothered me was their choice of oil filters. I found out after the fact that they use EMCO filters, which I've never heard of and couldn't find in any major manufacturers cross over list, and very limited info on EMCO is available. Asked about them on aforum and was told they're a bargain basement filter.Really pissed me off to have an off brand filter on a 07 bike- a failure would've voided my warranty in a heart beat, so I had tobuy a Harley filter and change it.So Bikers Bay is out for me. They do have reasonable prices, but damn, a toilet paper filter on an 07 bike?!? I guess you get what you pay for....
Why would that have voided your warranty? I've read that EMGO (not EMCO btw) filters meet and exceed all manufacturers warranties. Plus, on top of that, BB will use pretty much any oil you ask for, so why would that be any different if you want a specific filter? It doesn't have to be a Harley filter to keep the warranty valid you know.....

And, I have to ask, why didn't you ask what filters they were going to use anyways? While they could've been more up-front about it, it's your responsibility to know what's going on/in your bike too!
Yeah, EMGO, not EMCO, my bad. And I know it doesn't have to be Harley to keep the warranty intact, ya know. Yes, they could've been more up front about it at the time I specified AMSOIL all the way around. I mistakenly assumed it would be an AMSOIL filter. At the time, EMGO had no info on their site for the 07's so I bought an HD filter for $15.00's worth of peace of mind. And for the record, a incorrect oil filter will void any manufacturers warranty, I've sold a lot of engines toquick lube shopsfor this reason.

This isn't to say Bikers Bay is bad, just that I'd rather not run an off brand filter on my bike and they'd do better to charge a little more and only use better known brands that are at least listed in cross reference tables.

Here's the onlyanswer I received on another forum when I asked about EMGO:
I use EMGO filters in my Ironhead. They are cheap and cheaply made. I use them because they are better than the "horsehair" elements that the bike originally ran. However, I would not risk them in my Twin Cam. What's the point in searching for another filter over the HD one? Black HD filters are only about 6 bucks each from discount dealers. Just order a dozen and you'll be set for while.[/align]

Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't get me wrong Time, I'm not bagging you! In fact, I have a 10k coming up soon on my bike, if I do it there I'll be sure to be specific on the filter!

Good point on the bike too, I have an 05, so it's a little different. (Although the other side to the warranty issue though is if it were voided by a shop that is authorized to work on specific model bikes - and cars - they should be liable for the cost I would think.)

I'm trying to remember where I got the 1k done. I think it was Desert Custom in Mesa, but I can't be sure. They were pretty good though too.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't get me wrong Time, I'm not bagging you! In fact, I have a 10k coming up soon on my bike, if I do it there I'll be sure to be specific on the filter!

Good point on the bike too, I have an 05, so it's a little different. (Although the other side to the warranty issue though is if it were voided by a shop that is authorized to work on specific model bikes - and cars - they should be liable for the cost I would think.)

I'm trying to remember where I got the 1k done. I think it was Desert Custom in Mesa, but I can't be sure. They were pretty good though too.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:52 PM
pauletich
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Denise is my sister. How do you know her?

Old 08-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Roofuss96
Road Captain

I am looking for a good honest mechanic in the Phoenix AZ area. ---LOL !! ....When ya find one, let all us Arizona. riders know ? Usually try to do it myself if possible.......there are a couple shops up here in Payson, but thats no real help to you, I'm afraid .....[sm=sorry.gif]

Old 08-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: pauletich

Denise is my sister. How do you know her?
I grew up with her in Vallejo