Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Patent Shows Harley's Emergency Automated Braking System

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 05:13 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,257 Likes on 11,415 Posts

I’d be ok with ACC. We have it in our car, and it works great. But, I don’t engage CC in slippery conditions, and turn it off on tighter curves.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:15 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,545 Likes on 2,700 Posts

Originally Posted by 470004
More crap to fail, repair or replace.
That's what people said about disc brakes.

The following users liked this post:
Mattbastard (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 05:47 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,822 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Tell that to every jackass behind the wheel of a vehicle who's paying 10% of their attention to the task of driving.

It's not going to stop either, so might as well make the cars more idiot-proof since bigger idiots keep coming out of the woodwork.
I agree about the general stupidity of drivers these days, but I also think all these systems make them even worse, since they really have no incentive to improve their "skills".

To be honest it angers me that these systems even exist, cause it really drives home how few people who are behind the wheel SHOULD even be there, at all!

Cheers!

Old 05-04-2021, 09:12 PM
Lowoilpressure
Tourer
Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
i am just one guy who has no statistic to back up anything but i have driven cards for the last 15 years with adaptive cruise control , abs, emergency braking etc. and have not seen any false positives braking for no reason or other problems.
Uhh. I’ve been driving a vehicle with emergency braking for three years and have had several instances when it brakes hard when it shouldn’t. It happens when there is a car beside me slowing down and I am in the other lane passing by. Only happened a few times but very ****ed up when it does.

I am a visionary by nature but there is no flipping way this would work on a bike in my mind. When it happens in a car, you get jerked from the seat belt, on a bike you flip over the bars.

I suppose the Moco can patent anything they want but doesn’t mean that with today’s technology it’s gonna work.
Tom

Old 05-05-2021, 06:57 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowoilpressure
Uhh. I’ve been driving a vehicle with emergency braking for three years and have had several instances when it brakes hard when it shouldn’t. It happens when there is a car beside me slowing down and I am in the other lane passing by. Only happened a few times but very ****ed up when it does.

I am a visionary by nature but there is no flipping way this would work on a bike in my mind. When it happens in a car, you get jerked from the seat belt, on a bike you flip over the bars.

I suppose the Moco can patent anything they want but doesn’t mean that with today’s technology it’s gonna work.
Tom
if its still in warranty get that checked out ! do what you like buy what you want the safety tech on the bikes and cars i have purchased in the last 20 years works

Old 05-05-2021, 07:23 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,766 Likes on 17,810 Posts

You know what comes to mind with this ? Boeing thought they had a better idea where the computer could override the pilots and we all know how well that's been working out for them.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
6113_ (05-05-2021), Tommy C (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 07:35 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,944 Likes on 1,822 Posts

I'm surprised you guys don't know how this works. First, the European manufacturers come out with some innovative but useless design feature on their bikes, like electronically adjustable suspension or adaptive cruise (R1250RT, for instance). Then the Japanese manufacturers get on board because the masses actually like those design features. Meanwhile Harley sucks hind tit because they think they're good enough to not need to add anything because their customers don't like change.

No, wait, I'm not surprised at these responses. It's nothing short of what I'd expect from Harley blue-bloods.
Tell that to every jackass behind the wheel of a vehicle who's paying 10% of their attention to the task of driving.

It's not going to stop either, so might as well make the cars more idiot-proof since bigger idiots keep coming out of the woodwork.
From someone who doesn't really ride, fucs wrong with you? oh, wait, never mind

Old 05-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Schex
From someone who doesn't really ride, fucs wrong with you? oh, wait, never mind
Oh HERE we go... Go ahead, pull skeletons out of every closet you can find about me. Low hanging fruit, that's your style isn't it?

I also have a 2016 BMW GS that works flawlessly.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:57 PM
Schex
Supporter
Received 6,944 Likes on 1,822 Posts

Didn't mention anything about either bike, wasn't even in mind, just wonder why it's always hate Harley and/or the people, or in your style, it should be nothing short what I expect from you?

Still don't think you ride much , now go finish the Evo, been waiting, I like that thread.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:10 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,476 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Sheesh. It's just HD trying to patent something. Nobody says it's ever going to appear on your bike. Companies patent stuff all the time that never makes it to market. Sometimes they patent it on purpose so they can sue other companies that may have a similar idea, or trade with them to licence other patents.

Unwad your panties....

Quick Reply: New Patent Shows Harley's Emergency Automated Braking System