Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Patent Shows Harley's Emergency Automated Braking System

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:00 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 758 Likes on 405 Posts

Working in the automotive industry I deal with at least 1 client a week complaining that the car slammed on brakes when it thought something was in front of it and there wasn't. I can't imagine that **** happening on a motorcycle. Most commonly is on a curvy road (you know the kind we love as motorcycle riders) when the vehicle sees an object straight ahead like a tree but it's not smart enough to realize the road turns sharply before that obstacle so it thinks you are heading straight for it.

To me, there is something about riding a motorcycle that should be basic, it helps me escape the overly complicated technology filled world we live in today. Hell, that's one of the reasons I choose to ride Harley motorcycles, they are, in most cases, simplistic mechanical machines. In a time when technology and computers are used for every thing all day every day, it's nice to get away and just enjoy the wind in my face.

The following 2 users liked this post by shodown220:
Clammy (05-04-2021), MoBillyAla (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:03 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 865 Posts

I'm surprised you guys don't know how this works. First, the European manufacturers come out with some innovative but useless design feature on their bikes, like electronically adjustable suspension or adaptive cruise (R1250RT, for instance). Then the Japanese manufacturers get on board because the masses actually like those design features. Meanwhile Harley sucks hind tit because they think they're good enough to not need to add anything because their customers don't like change.

No, wait, I'm not surprised at these responses. It's nothing short of what I'd expect from Harley blue-bloods.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:22 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

This is idiotic. I can see bikers flying over handlebars now. LOL!

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:13 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

i am just one guy who has no statistic to back up anything but i have driven cards for the last 15 years with adaptive cruise control , abs, emergency braking etc. and have not seen any false positives braking for no reason or other problems.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:17 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,822 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I'm surprised you guys don't know how this works. First, the European manufacturers come out with some innovative but useless design feature on their bikes, like electronically adjustable suspension or adaptive cruise (R1250RT, for instance). Then the Japanese manufacturers get on board because the masses actually like those design features. Meanwhile Harley sucks hind tit because they think they're good enough to not need to add anything because their customers don't like change.

No, wait, I'm not surprised at these responses. It's nothing short of what I'd expect from Harley blue-bloods.
For me, this has nothing to do with not liking new tech. I'm NOT anti-tech, but I don't want ANY system taking over any of the controls on my ride OR my cage. I don't want the vehicle to decide when to brake, or steer, etc... the systems are not even close to perfect, and have caused plenty of wrecks in cages. On a bike, it would be deadly.

If you can't drive the vehicle yourself, get off the road, and let those of us who can remain safe.

Last edited by Clammy; 05-04-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:29 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,867 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Default Automatic Braking

What's next ? Auto stop start to save gas ? Full autonomous motorcycle ? Front end collision warning sensor ? I see they have radar to see what's coming from behind now too. Test was in Rider magazine this month. Put all this crap on a Harley and the base price will be 40k. Swing your leg over any bike or drive your car, there is a risk involved. Technology is not going to save someone from their own or someone else's mistakes no matter how good it is..

Old 05-04-2021, 02:20 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
If you can't drive the vehicle yourself, get off the road, and let those of us who can remain safe.
Tell that to every jackass behind the wheel of a vehicle who's paying 10% of their attention to the task of driving.

It's not going to stop either, so might as well make the cars more idiot-proof since bigger idiots keep coming out of the woodwork.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:41 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,257 Likes on 11,415 Posts

Braking on a motorcycle is last resort in a critical situation. Honestly though, I think the collision detection and crash mitigation saved my bacon a couple of times in our car. As well as I believe the ABS on my limited saved me at least once. I’d be OK with some type of warning, that tells ya a crash is imminent. But, I’d want to make the decision of whether to make an aggressive maneuver without or with some brake, or just plain brake. And mostly those are automatic reflexes. And even in some cases throttle out of a bad situation, I don’t want the bike deciding when to brake in an emergency situation. .

Last edited by TriGeezer; 05-04-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:33 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,461 Likes on 1,394 Posts

A good number of Euro brands are going with automatic cruise control but I have not read if any of them do emergency braking. The BMW solution will allow you to use the clutch to shift without turning of the ACC but on many of the bikes it comes on they also have quick shifters so you don't even need to clutch

Old 05-04-2021, 04:39 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,880 Likes on 6,561 Posts

More crap to fail, repair or replace.

Quick Reply: New Patent Shows Harley's Emergency Automated Braking System