General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess What?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guess What?

My louder than stock pipes saved me from some serious hurt today.

Traveling down Hwy 194 on my way into Oakland TN this afternoon I was following a dump truck and a Tahoe. We were traveling about 50 mph and I was about 100 ft behind the Tahoe and it was raining. Came upon the entrance to a new subdivision and there was a maintenance truck sitting there waiting to enter the Hwy. I could tell he was kinda in a hurry because he kept creeping up to the edge. I see him watch the dump truck pass, the Tahoe pass and yep you got it hestarts to enter the hwy. I have my head light on the passing lamps and reflective rain jacket on so I'm pretty visible.

The road is wet so I have one of two choices, I can try to break hard and probably dump it because its wet or I can get on the gas and try to beat him around the same spot we are trying to occupy. I chose to gun it and when I get on it and thepipes bellow out that louder than stock Harley sound, it echos off the houses and he instantly looks out his window, finally sees me and slams on his breaks. I miss him by about 2 feet.

He pulls out behind me and we continue on down 194 until we get to the red light in Oakland. He pulls up beside me in the turning lane and his passenger rolls down the window. I'm thinking to myself that he is gonna smart off to meor something like that, but instead he says "Man, I'm sorry, if I hadn't heard ya I would have hit ya" "I guess I just didn't see you". I tell him no problem and before we leave, as the light turns green, he says "nice bike, always wanted a Harley".

Second time my louder than stock pipes have saved me in similar situations. Just this year.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:21 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Guess What?

I have louder than stock pipes too..Rush 2.0's and SE II's with my other bike. Neither pipes are annoyingly loud unless you get on the throttle...but they will make some noise at low speed if needed.

Here's a recently example of this...I was behind a car at a stoplight. There was a also car to it's right in the other lane and a car to my right as well. When the light turned green, the car in front moved forward very quickly and the car beside them starting merging into my lane. I couldn't move right because of the car to my right..so I pulled the clutch and blipped the throttle hard ( and yes, I could have gone for the horn but honestly I would have probably ended up hitting the brights or left turn signal..) Almost immediately, they moved back in the right lane...I honestly believe they heard my pipes and that let them know I was there.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure glad that wasn't me with my stock pipes. Sounds like I'd be dead now.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 PM
bcox
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear that your last minute decision worked out. Could've been ugly.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Tinker Bell
Banned

ORIGINAL: whaap

You know whaap, I didn't figure it would take you long to chime in. I couldn't tell you if you would be dead or not, all's I know is that I'm not hurt, my scoot is not hurt and I'm not dead.

Guy says its because he heard me. I guess he could be mistaken or just lying. Can't tell you thatif I had quite pipes or stock pipes installedthanwhat I have nowif he would have heard me or not. I'm inclined to believe that he may have, but not soon enough. Just my opinion, being there and all.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

4e2
ORIGINAL: TM

My louder than stock pipes saved me from some serious hurt today.

Traveling down Hwy 194 on my way into Oakland TN this afternoon I was following a dump truck and a Tahoe. We were traveling about 50 mph and I was about 100 ft behind the Tahoe and it was raining. Came upon the entrance to a new subdivision and there was a maintenance truck sitting there waiting to enter the Hwy. I could tell he was kinda in a hurry because he kept creeping up to the edge. I see him watch the dump truck pass, the Tahoe pass and yep you got it hestarts to enter the hwy. I have my head light on the passing lamps and reflective rain jacket on so I'm pretty visible.

The road is wet so I have one of two choices, I can try to break hard and probably dump it because its wet or I can get on the gas and try to beat him around the same spot we are trying to occupy. I chose to gun it and when I get on it and thepipes bellow out that louder than stock Harley sound, it echos off the houses and he instantly looks out his window, finally sees me and slams on his breaks. I miss him by about 2 feet.

He pulls out behind me and we continue on down 194 until we get to the red light in Oakland. He pulls up beside me in the turning lane and his passenger rolls down the window. I'm thinking to myself that he is gonna smart off to meor something like that, but instead he says "Man, I'm sorry, if I hadn't heard ya I would have hit ya" "I guess I just didn't see you". I tell him no problem and before we leave, as the light turns green, he says "nice bike, always wanted a Harley".

Second time my louder than stock pipes have saved me in similar situations. Just this year.
Oh that's pooopy talk TM! You know dang well that people like you and me put on loud pipes just to annoy people and not to use the sound to warn people of our presence! People like us are ruining the community because of our loud pipes and there is no way the above incident could ever have happened.....

Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am waiting for someone to call you a liar. AN UGLY, LIAR!
[sm=popcorn.gif]

btw, glad your still on the right side of the grass....
ORIGINAL: TM

ORIGINAL: whaap

You know whaap, I didn't figure it would take you long to chime in. I couldn't tell you if you would be dead or not, all's I know is that I'm not hurt, my scoot is not hurt and I'm not dead.

Guy says its because he heard me. I guess he could be mistaken or just lying. Can't tell you thatif I had quite pipes or stock pipes installedthanwhat I have nowif he would have heard me or not. I'm inclined to believe that he may have, but not soon enough. Just my opinion, being there and all.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm surprised more of the I beg to differ crowd hasn't chimed in.What gets me is the Harley has been loud & proud for decades & only now is the loud pipes a real issue.I guess there are alot more bitches than people now.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

I'm surprised more of the I beg to differ crowd hasn't chimed in.What gets me is the Harley has been loud & proud for decades & only now is the loud pipes a real issue.I guess there are alot more bitches than people now.
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 08-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 806 Posts

My loud pipes have saved me from being crushed by a cage on more than a few occasions.

Glad you didn't get smoked, bro!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Guess What?