General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What To Consider Before Buying A 57 FLH?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 10:51 PM
riggpigg
Supporter
Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts

This is a 50 FLH I bought a couple weeks ago, it is an amateur restoration.The rims are repop,as is the windshield, bags, paint and various bits and parts. The headlight is as well. Toolbox lid is repop, Im sure there are more parts not correct but it's mostly real. This has no provenance other than its owner has owned since 1960. It is a good runner/rider. It will be priced less than the OP's Elvis bike when we run it through the shop. We have seen bikes here from "noted restorers and builders" every single one we've found incorrect parts, cobbled up items, crappy paint (see VL in foreground) and on one 46 FL a very famous "restorer to the stars'' had restored, had so many things wrong with it, it took a complete rebuilt to rectify all the deficiencies. We have also had customers buy a machine and attempt to do their own work, screw it up, then insist that we had done something wrong. We later found out through tear down it had been run hard and low on oil, and had fresh oil in it when it was brought back to us.....lol.
My point is this, unless you do the work on a vintage bike yourself you really cant be sure if you are getting what you paid for. Most guys that sell bikes may not be lying about the bike, they are just repeating the same line they were fed when they purchased it. Join the AMCA, get to know some judges that are **** as hell, and rely on your group to help you.
Dont let any one tell you you can't run a vintage bike long distances, with proper minimal maintenance and some common sense they are very capable. With proper sprocket selection they are quite capable of freeway speeds, and if shoes are properly fitted and set up, the brakes are sufficient. Me and several hundred others ride them coast to coast every year in the Cannonball, CC Chase, and AMCA road runs. There are a lot of cheaper ways to get involved in the vintage world, Triumphs, Moto Guzzi, BMW airheads, even WL Harleys or Indian Scouts are cheaper than Sidevalve twins, Knuck and pans. You can still find a nice shovel FL for under 15K, and if you cant, PM me. This place has given you some sound advice, unless you came here for agreement and justification, you should heed the advice. We ALL had to learn about Vintage bikes the same way, there aren't any shortcuts to knowledge, it is much easier to obtain now with the internet, but its also easier to get bad info as well. If you get a bike, RTFM, its all in the book, research, read and ask experts. As another said above, the search is the fun, and hunting swap meets for parts is how you meet other like minded people.Good luck in your adventure................
PS, yes the speedo is incorrect......LMAO, I bought a rebuilt one from Bordas at the fandango this week.........I had to say it or Panz woulda picked that out immediately!!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by riggpigg:
Architect (04-14-2021), DaveE (04-14-2021), panz4ever (04-14-2021), Tommy C (04-14-2021)