General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on a bike after 30 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 09:07 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I had a 27 year hiatus and went back about 9 years ago. I am glad I took the MSF course before I bought a Harley. I hadn't forgotten how to change gears etc but the course was useful for reminding us of checking lights, tires, oil levels and so on, road and lane positions and for all the little pointers like how many seconds to look ahead and looking in the mirrors and over your shoulders. The rest is practice and getting comfortable in traffic

Old 04-05-2021, 09:49 AM
Balladromic
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
Deluxe has a lower seat which seems to sit you in the bike rather than on it. Lower center of gravity, easier handling. Congrats.

Sure miss the Spring International Super Show at the International Centre
I'm 5' 6" 138#. I'm wearing the H~D Auroral jacket with some lined Alpinestar touring pants with some knee protection. I don't have amour in the jacket. I have it ordered. The softail feels great. I was able to toss it around pretty good for my first go on a Harley. Absolutely need more practise before parading. It felt a little stiff on a few bumps. Never noticed the GF on the back. I always had a saying back in the day; if you haven't dropped your bike, you haven't learned to ride it.

I'm in the west end. My kid brother has a 2021 Road King trading in his 2018 RK.
He's out of London. His kid plays with the Ticats. We let him ride the Goldwing.

"It would seem to me. I remember every single fn thing I know"

Old 04-05-2021, 10:02 AM
ahhlou
Road Master
Received 674 Likes on 338 Posts

Congrats on the ride. After 30 years, may I suggest a basic or defensive motorcycle course to get up to speed on todays riding paradigm.

You got extra points for quoting "the hip"...

Old 04-05-2021, 10:18 AM
Balladromic
Road Master

Originally Posted by ahhlou
Congrats on the ride. After 30 years, may I suggest a basic or defensive motorcycle course to get up to speed on todays riding paradigm.
You got extra points for quoting "the hip"...
I recall picking my Kawi up from the shop on Weston Rd. The first ride of the year. I didn't get passed Eglinton AV., and some clown made a left in front of me. I braked hard released and swerved around him to the left. I was never taught that. That was practical experience you don't soon forget. I never drove my own four wheeled vehicles. Plenty of shop trucks. It was never, I think I'll take a bike ride today. That was my transportation. Laundry bags tied down et al. My brother took the course I'll pick his brain. I had a GF who attended a toastmasters course. She'll never know how much her course helped me in business. I ride aggressively defensive. I'm always learning.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:45 PM
Balladromic
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ron750
You can get a lot of the same information from Proficient Motorcycling, but you don’t learn from trained instructors.

Old 04-05-2021, 02:40 PM
ahhlou
Road Master
Received 674 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by Balladromic
I ride aggressively defensive. I'm always learning.
Good attitude...

Old 04-10-2021, 07:07 AM
Azmarlin39a
Cruiser
Received 153 Likes on 78 Posts

I just started riding again after 26 yrs. After driving truck for those off yrs, I’ve learned to watch the road much better. Yes, it’s tough with all the texting out there.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:12 AM
Balladromic
Road Master

I've been out again this week. The weather today is perfect and the GF and myself will be at the arena parking lot in Mississauga(Mother Isis + water) practising.
Friday is shopping with the wife, I could have nail a guy in the back of the head while he was texting from his communauto. I was thinking of a picture and sending it off to the company so they can jack his rates.

Last edited by Balladromic; 04-10-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:23 AM
GrenV
Cruiser
Received 130 Likes on 74 Posts

GF and Wife? You may need another seat on that bike. 🤣. Maybe a sidecar. 😁

The following 2 users liked this post by GrenV:
Balladromic (04-11-2021), BouseBill (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Balladromic
Road Master

Originally Posted by GrenV
GF and Wife? You may need another seat on that bike. 🤣. Maybe a sidecar. 😁
One of the same. Not married for the last 30 years ?? She was a good cook when I met her.

Yesterday's ride was fun. I'm looking better out there, it's coming along. As I was thinking about my ride before hand. I said to myself, self; the most dangerous crossing will be Matheson & Dixie, so before taking off look both ways (see below). I found my parking lot has some drivers ed during the weekend. Rain today. The Farmer's Almanac states Ontario will have a blisstering summer. This backroad is nice for air cooling.

Published Saturday, April 10, 2021 11:22PM EDT
A man in his 30s has been critically injured in a collision in Mississauga.

Emergency crews responded to the area of Eglinton Avenue East and Matheson Boulevard, east of Dixie Road, after 10:30 p.m.

Peel police say a car and motorcycle collided at the intersection.

The motorcyclist was transported to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

The cause of the crash is not known.

The following users liked this post:
GrenV (04-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Back on a bike after 30 years