General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing baffles on SE pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 AM
bgismo20
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing baffles on SE pipes

So I was messing with my bike the other day & I took off my endcaps for my mufflers & the right baffles came out, it just took A tug & it was out, the left one wouldnt BUDGE! Im harping on this thing trying to get it out & it doesnt work, Im like WTF? So I start it up for the Funk of it & it sounds GREAT! Nice & deep & how i want my pipes to sound, I have 2 questions
1. Is there a trick to geting the baffle out?
2. Since my endcap screws screwinto the baffles is there a way to have no baffles & keep my endcaps on? Any info would be good here!

BG

Old 08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
blaw
Cruiser
Default RE: Removing baffles on SE pipes

Take a look at the baffle you've already removed and look for a place to hook a piece of wire, like a coat hanger. One you have the 'hook' fashioned, slide it into the other pipe and pull straight back, nice and steady.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:02 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

I was pulling it w/ pliers, how will a coat hanger do it? IM just curious once again i know chit about this stuff

Old 08-02-2007, 12:21 PM
officespacedout!
Banned

ORIGINAL: bgismo20

I was pulling it w/ pliers, how will a coat hanger do it? IM just curious once again i know chit about this stuff
If they are slip ons which it sounds like they are... it is a little more time consuming but safer and less chances of scratchs or dings... to take the muffler/slip on off and set it exhaust end down on a towel and tap it out with pipe that is similar in diameter as the connection end of the slip on. you do want to make sure there are no bolts holding the baffle in or little welds.
If that doesn't work get a little more aggressive and hammer it out by placing something that get a lot of surface area inside the pipe against the baffle... having the slip on off will shed more light on the sitch as well... Good Luck

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM
blaw
Cruiser

I have SE IIs and one baffle came right out, the other was stuck. There wasn't a place to grab the edge with pliers, but I was able to slide the coat hanger up and hook it on an internal opening, which gave me enough leverage to pull it right out.

I'm not sure what the SE baffles look like, so this may or may not work for you.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior

Thanks folks Ill see what i can do!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Edz05
Novice

Get her hot enough (ride around the block a couple times so the heat expands the pipe) and then wedge a pipe/piece of wood (cap removed)into the internal diameter of baffle and twist it out.[8D]
That worked for me in the exact situation you're in.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:29 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can tell ya from experience, if the slip-ons have been in there for a while then it's probably rusted in place. I took a pair of pliers and grabbed the outer lip and worked it till it came out...a little WD-40 might not hurt. Carefull of the pipe hangers, took a good size chunk of my knuckle off when the baffle finally broke loose. The wire hanger hook didn't work for me because they were wedged in there pretty tightly and the wire hanger just didn't have enough pull.

It's just the two bolts and nuts holding them in.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slide-hammer

Old 08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain

I need to ask a stupid question...Is this piece of work going to result in any power loss, etc?

Quick Reply: Removing baffles on SE pipes