General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ Top and the blown '07 CVO Ultra **UPDATED**

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:52 AM
MrMcCool
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZZ Top and the blown '07 CVO Ultra **UPDATED**

What was setup to be a great night really took a bad turn…

I get the email late in the day that I have 2 box seats to ZZ Top. Hell yeah! I call my buddy and ask if he wants to ride to the show. My buddy has been working tons lately and unable to ride much. Blah blah blah….

He pulls up to the house on his new ’07 CVO Ultra. He picked it up yesterday from the 1k service. I notice a little oil on my driveway and we start looking. Put it on the lift and he crawls under. It looks to me as if they made a mess with the oil filter. We check the levels and everything is spot on. Cool.

Off we go for a fun boy’s night out. In and out of traffic (he loves to raz me about 88” vs. 110”) and I decide to get in front of a cluster of cars. I pass him and he never pulls up. In fact he’s dropping back. I’m thinking, “damn, I’m not going that fast”. He actually pulls in behind slower traffic. I had to get over and slow WAY down for him to catch me.

His damn bike is spitting/missing BAD. He’s raising hell. We’re not too far from the concert and luckily it’s across the street from Heart of Dixie HD here in Birmingham.

By the time we get to the exit this thing is smoking and spitting terribly and I’m getting oil all over me riding behind him. At the end of the exit I can see oil pouring out from around the oil filter and oil cooler area. He rides it the remaining 2 blocks and we make it to the dealer. Now this isn’t the dealer where he bought it (Riders HD) and then had his service, but it’s owned by the same guys. Riders HD and Heart of Dixie HD.

It’s 7:15pm and they closed at 6:00pm. I’m thinking to myself I may have to ride him bitch to the show.

Anyway, the service Mgr. and a few others were still there and heard us raising hell as we came in so they stepped out. We both know the GM of this store and one of the owners of both stores. Of course, the service mgr. doesn’t believe us at first, and who can blame him.

He gets his GM on the phone and my buddy takes the phone and describes his plight. Yeah, right, he’s talking about plight. He was raising mortal hell. I can here the GM tell the service mgr. to get the GMs Ultra off the floor and give it to my buddy.

So, we’re still not sure where the oil was coming from but I suspect the oil filter. It will be interesting to hear how they plan to resolve this. He said he wanted a new engine but I think they should get him a new bike. Keep in mind this is not a MOCO warranty issue. At least I don’t think it is. I think the technician doing the service caused the problem.

So far they have done everything they could have to make it right. We’ll see when they open this morning.

The storytook a good turnwith us getting upgrade from box seats to front row. ZZ Top rocked.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:54 AM
hambone
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ZZ Top and a the blown '07 CVO Ultra (long)

Got 4 front row tickets to see them here in Memphis in Sept!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

This kind of thing just shouldn't happen. New bike..a CVO no less and with 1k on the bike and now it's laid up. Please get back to us and report on the findings. I'm curious to know what caused this problem and what the Dealer/MoCo are prepared to do about it.

Glad you had a good time at the concert though.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 AM
MrMcCool
Tourer

They did NOT disappoint! Played all their hits.

ORIGINAL: hambone

Got 4 front row tickets to see them here in Memphis in Sept!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

It's cool that the dealer stepped up and got your buddy a bike to ride.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Because he knew the GM. Otherwise he'd have gotten the..... "that's normal", they'resupposed to leak 3 quarts every 10 minutes.

ORIGINAL: ckgdrums

It's cool that the dealer stepped up and got your buddy a bike to ride.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How did you get the ticket upgrade???

Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This reminds me of an oil change I did on my truck about two years ago. Didn't pay attention, the gasket / o-ring seal from the filter I removed stayed stuck to the engine and I screwed the new filter on top of it. I dumped about 3-4 quarts of Mobil 1 all over my drivweway before I could get the engine shut off. Learned my lesson.

Good luck with the problem, glad you had a good time at rhe concert. ZZ Top rocks!

Old 08-01-2007, 11:29 AM
MrMcCool
Tourer

Funny really.....my bud is flirting with an event employee. Grabbed her radio and said "1 Adam 12". Of course see was too young to know what the hell that meant. As we're walking away she runs us down and asked if we would like to get a seat upgrade. I showed her our VIP armbands and said na, give em to someone else. Shethen tells us it's front row. I'm still thinking na, but I look at my bud, who loves ZZ Top AND just lost his CVO Ultra, and I couldn't take his damn whinin' a$$.

That's never happened before. Sad to say it was not a sellout.

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

How did you get the ticket upgrade???

Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

Buy your bud a service manual and tell him to do the work hmself......

Quick Reply: ZZ Top and the blown '07 CVO Ultra **UPDATED**