General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ Top and the blown '07 CVO Ultra **UPDATED**

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:03 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ZZ Top and a the blown '07 CVO Ultra (long)

I've always thought it odd that the only ZZ Top guy without a beard is named beard.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
MrMcCool
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though that is a popular answer on these forums, more information would reveal that he does wrench his own bikes but....like I said, he just bought this bike and he is working tons. Like 14hr a day mon-fri and 10hrs on Sat. No $hit.

He spends any bike time he has now riding to get the miles on it beforeour Sept. 2 week 4500+ mile trip.

I'm not saying, just saying. Sometimes the cookiecutter answers aren't.

Although, I guess I could do his service for him.....NOT.

ORIGINAL: Speedkingnick

Buy your bud a service manual and tell him to do the work hmself......

Old 08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
MrMcCool
Tourer

***UPDATE***

Not looking good on t he first update he received this morning. He got some crap about the bike not having the oil drained during the service and the 4qts of Amsoil was put in on top. BS! The bike will not hold that much freaking oil. And something about the Amsoil filter not being an exact match but it would seal. Blah blah.

Now, it may not have been drained and it may in fact have been overfilled, but there is no way it would hold that much oil.

I did not personally see the dipstick either in my drive or once we stopped but I do trust my bud to be competent enough to read a dipstick. Who knows?

There was oil on the bottom side of the breather and though it could have blown up there, I suspect overfill. He had less than 100mi on the change and the last few were running hard.

Anyway, there it is. I was hoping the BS wouldn’t start flowing from the dealer but we’ll have to wait and see.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 PM
tkdblackbelt
Advanced

Glad to hear the concert was good, i was working and couldnt make it to that show, also glad to hear that heart of dixie took care of it, i just bought a new 07 softail custom from them. Hope his bike problem gets worked out.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM
MrMcCool
Tourer

****UPDATE****

Well, seems things are going par for the course and to say that disappoints me.

More detailed info: My bud took his bike in for the 1k service AND supplied the dealer with Amsoil oil and filter. Now I’m not sure of the weight, but I know he had them put different weight in the primary and trans.

Seems the dealer is admitting the bike had 1.5 qts. too much oil and retained 3.5 qts. even after the loss. The claim is that the Amsoil filter didn’t seal properly and that was the source of the leak. Also, the dealer is claiming that Amsoil (not just oil mind you) damaged the Crank Position Sensor. The major missing was blamed on the failed CPS.

And here’s the best yet……drum roll please……

The dealer claims that if the MOCO requests an oil sample and finds out its Amsoil, the warranty is voided.

HA! What an F’n joke.

Remember, all my bud did was supply the oil. He did NOT install the oil. And for the record; it does NOT void the warranty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:
“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name....” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

I guess it’s plausible that the filter either wasn’t installed tight enough or there could be a match up issue not allowing it to seal on the 110” (doubt that). And I don’t doubt that 2+ qts of oil being released on top of the CPS might damage it no matter what brand of oil.

My disappointment is I had thought/hoped that our dealer was different from so many others. I guess not. At this time I don’t know if they have told him it will not be covered by warranty or not. But there certainly is some very bad posturing going on by the dealer.

We shall see.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:28 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear this, but not surprising. The dealers always seem to try and take the sleazy way out unless they're challenged and confronted. If this were to go to court, I can't see them having a leg to stand on since they accepted the oil and filter and did the install.

Isn't your bud friends with the GM/owner? Scary that if he is and still getting screwed.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
usmv16
Cruiser

McCool,,

"The dealer claims that if the MOCO requests an oil sample and finds out its Amsoil, the warranty is voided. "

HA! What an F’n joke. <----- Joke's on him because it's TRUE~~~!!

Remember, all my bud did was supply the oil. He did NOT install the oil. And for the record; it does NOT void the warranty. <-----It COULD VOID IT... depends upon other circumstances...

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty..... The cause was an oil filter that did't quite fit..? your warranty is now...VOID VOID VOID VOID

I just can't get the fact that Amsoil is the beat thing since bewbies... What's the problem with going with factory stuff until the warantee HAS EXPIRED??? Then go ahead and put snake oil in it...

Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
MrMcCool
Tourer

Wow....I want what you're smoking.

THEY OVERFILLED with oil. THEY being the dealer! The quality of the oil did NOT cause the issue, OVERFILLING did.

As it turns out now, they have called and the bike is fixed. Now they claim it was the o-ring on the CPS. Never was leaking from the filter.

I just don't get how people can actually believe that if you put oil in the bike that is rated equal to or greater than the required specs it somehow voids the warranty.

ORIGINAL: usmv16

McCool,,

"The dealer claims that if the MOCO requests an oil sample and finds out its Amsoil, the warranty is voided. "

HA! What an F’n joke. <----- Joke's on him because it's TRUE~~~!!

Remember, all my bud did was supply the oil. He did NOT install the oil. And for the record; it does NOT void the warranty. <-----It COULD VOID IT... depends upon other circumstances...

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of this law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle makers brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty..... The cause was an oil filter that did't quite fit..? your warranty is now...VOID VOID VOID VOID

I just can't get the fact that Amsoil is the beat thing since bewbies... What's the problem with going with factory stuff until the warantee HAS EXPIRED??? Then go ahead and put snake oil in it...

Old 08-02-2007, 01:33 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope it all works out for your bud. I'd make sure I document everything and be constantly checking for leaks in case it needs to go back.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:47 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Really glad you enjoyed the concert at least. Saw ZZ years ago and they always put on a great show. [sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: ZZ Top and the blown '07 CVO Ultra **UPDATED**