General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding the 1%er

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:43 AM
seikan1
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Understanding the 1%er

I have a good friend who was involved deeply with the Pagan MC. He did time in prison over activities involving them.

I have always been amazed to hear the stories and to learn what that 1% actually means.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:48 PM
dr_trousers
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Seth

Understanding the 1% Rule: Motivations

What motivates the people who make up the content contributors found in "The 1% Rule?" Perhaps the following story offers some clues. (This is an excerpt from our forthcoming book "Citizen Marketers.")
As a patch, it’s pretty simple: A diamond shape surrounded by a blue border, with "1%" embroidered in the middle. It's worn over the heart by members of motorcycle clubs that celebrate their outlaw status from mainstream motorcycle society. They call themselves the "One Percenters."
The inspiration for the patch and its meaning can be traced to 1947, when members of the Pissed Off Bastards of Bloomington motorcycle club and the Boozefighters Motorcycle Club, showed up in Hollister, California, for that town's annual motorcycle race. As parties involving beer in summer heat sometimes do, things got out of hand.
A photographer for Life magazine happened to be attending the race and snapped a picture of a drunken biker perched atop a Harley Davidson, surrounded by broken beer bottles. The photo was published in Life with a caption that read, "Cyclist's Holiday: He and Friends Terrorize Town." A brief story accompanying the photo said 4,000 members of a motorcycle club were responsible for destructive mayhem. The photo and story provoked the American Motorcyclists Association to denounce the boozed-up bikers. It assured worried citizens that 99 percent of its members were law-abiding citizens, thereby marginalizing the remaining "1 percent" as outlaws.
The story has been the inspiration and founding principle for outlaw motorcycle clubs around the world. One Percenters organize and wear their patches as the proverbial finger raised toward society’s expectations of them. For decades, the story of what happened in Hollister has been repeated by numerous writers in magazines and newspapers, codifying its legend.
William L. Dulaney, a visiting professor at Western Carolina University spent months researching the history of the One Percenters for the academic periodical, "The International Journal of Motorcycle Studies." From months spent conducting field research around the United States, and having spent years as a member of an outlaw motorcycle club himself, he argues that contemporary One Percenters in "outlaw" motorcycle gangs are not necessarily pro-criminal, they are anti-bureaucracy. They rebel against the commonality of mainstream expectations.

Furthermore, the One Percenter clubs are organized around the idea of a community, and their unconventional lives and motorcycle lifestyles are reinforced by the strong-as-steel bonds with other members. They revel, sometimes raucously in beer-soaked pandemonium, in a culture that conventional society frowns on. Forget seeking the approval of conventional governing bodies; the One Percenters revel in their minority status.
They are outlaws of culture.

Interesting Read,......
I actually have the book Citizen Marketers sitting right here on my desk...

Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

I have a tranquillizer gun, and four napkin rings sitting on my desk.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:10 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhh..are you okay?[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

seth as the saying goes "if you had to explain it they wouldn't understand"

Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

A guy I used to work with was in a club that shall remain nameless. One of out other coworkers got involved with them. Last I heard, he wanted out and they kept his bike. The same happened to another friend. Lifetime bond is just that. If somone in Alabama gets killed who is in the club, everyone rides to alabama to attend the funeral. And so on...

Old 08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crushertx3

seth as the saying goes "if you had to explain it they wouldn't understand"
Or you could also say;

"If it has to be explained it's not worth understanding"..

Just Kiddin'

Old 08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
cdog
Intermediate

" he argues that contemporary One Percenters in "outlaw" motorcycle gangs are not necessarily pro-criminal, they are anti-bureaucracy. They rebel against the commonality of mainstream expectations. "

Wow.. anunbiased and good assessment... Most of the time MC's seem to be very stereotyped, especially in the media.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

What the hell are the napkin rings for?
FD

Old 08-01-2007, 09:35 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From past experience they police their own members and will not bother another biker unless it's a rival club.

Quick Reply: Understanding the 1%er