Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody ever dealt with "speed wobble"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 09:49 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Has anybody ever dealt with "speed wobble"

ORIGINAL: Domestic Violence

back when i had my CBR900RR, i was riding with a friend who was on a TL1000R. we swapped bikes for a few miles and i experience a tank slapper on his bike right around 90mph. he was behind me and saw the whole thing.

not only did i just about shlt my pants and wreck his bike- he was watching.

somehow- by the grace of god (but id rather think it was my skillz) i rode it out and recovered..... and promptly took my RR back
THe TL1000s were famous for getting tank slappers. I am not sure why but it was pretty common to upgrade to an aftermarket steeri stableizer ASAP. Not a way to get one though on a buddies bike....

Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
supervette79
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 years ago the belt on the front tire of my WG broke going down the highway at about 80mph. The whole left side of the tire was wrinkled. Bike went into a tank slapper so bad, that a guy in a F-150 behind me put his 4-ways on because he thought I was going down. I rode dirtbikes for 20 years so instinct came into play. I pulled the clutch in and coasted, the wobble went away at 45mph. That was the longest 30 seconds of my life. I finally was able to pull over behind a construction entrance and the guy driving the F-150 followed me in still with his 4-ways on. He told me that I was all over the lane.

Rode another 50 miles at 45 mph on backroads. Took into the dealer the next day to get the tire replaced. The service manager came out to the waiting lounge and asked me how I was still alive. He said that if I would have chopped the throttle I would have went down.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wobbles ain't so bad,,,its when the rear tire starts pogo sticking....

Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

his tiller had no stabilizer

Old 08-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member

I had to deal with "high speed wobble" ONCE, and I pray it never happens again!
It was on my Kawasaki 1000 LTD and started when I hit approx 108 MPH with my nose pressed on the gauge. SCARED the CRAP out of me as I went from 100+ MPH down to about 60MPH in a heartbeat, taking up 3 lanes of traffic just to keep the bike upright! I can't say my "riding skills" pulled me through, cuz I don't really know what I did, I just reacted. I pulled over and literally shook uncontrollably for approx 5 min. Through the "grapevine" around the southern Calif dealers I heard the high speed wobble was why the Calif Highway Patrol fazed out the machines for their LEO's.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Yellow Power Ranger
Banned

I experience this at around 319mph-325mph,....hoping the new Vrod doesn't have this problem.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Experienced it a couple of times on my '80 FLT. Each time was laid over in a 60+ mph sweeper. Tend to think it was due to some dynamic with the 16" front wheel. Made the right decision and just rode it out and made it thru OK. It's a little disconcerting but at no time did I feel I was losing it. FLTs are definitely not GP material(LOL).

Each time I was on unfamiliar turf and I had entered the corner too fast and attempted to slow down putting too much weight on the front. Learned not to do that.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
smudge
Tourer

Had an old Honda that used to do that at about 75. I could either slowly ease off the throttle, or I could accelerate through it, as at 85 it stopped.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
TinFoilHat
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: rainman1977

Mine was due to a flat spot on the rear wheel. Happened via a pot hole. The spokes had lossened a bit. Check your spokes if you have laced wheels.
Bingo. I had a wobble that only happened when I completely rolled off the throttle at any speed over 50 mph. Mech thought at first it may have been a cracked motor mount, turned out to be loose spokes on the rear tire. Still under warranty so it was their dime.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

Well......after some Cuervo......I might wobble a little bit.....but no one has ever had to deal with me....

Speed king nick......

Quick Reply: Has anybody ever dealt with "speed wobble"