General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't Harley build a touring bike that weighs 650lbs. ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 2,126 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Strap a couple of saddle bags on this and away you go, do all the touring you want.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:33 PM
Senecagreen
Road Captain
Received 446 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by biglew55
A 650 lbs. touring bike is a sport touring bike. A touring bike has mass as I described.

Figure out what you want and go buy it. You want a faired touring bike, HD has them, with the weight to make them comfortable. You want a 650 lbs. bike with a fairing? The Sport Glide has one (laughably, maybe).

You want them to build a sport touring bike, then I agree. But you can't turn a Caddy into a Geo Metro and expect it to ride well.
What I have is a bike for whatever riding I want to do.
2 sportbikes that wegh less than 450 lbs.
a 133hp 471lb Speed triple naked streetfighter
a 560 lb Indian Scout 60 that is the best cruiser and weighs less than 600 lbs. Carries it weight low and actually feels lighter. best in that niche
And my 900lb RGU that is great on trips but a compromise, heavy, slow, limited suspension but has character and fits me so even though there are much better touring bikes out there I keep it because I like it.

It doesnt have to be that heavy.

If I want to ride lighter, faster, or just cruise I have that covered.

If they built a RGU like I described they would all be sold out and back ordered with a waiting period. And those low mile garage queens would be difficult to sell because why would you want to go back to that? And the money they have spent the last few years on developing the bronx, livewire, PA would have paid for it and that would be your new 2021 model.

The fact is the same old bikes year after year has put them in long term decline and it will take a big bold step to reverse that trend. The competition continues to siphon off the faithful. The 1250 RT at 600lbs is proof that a touring bike doesn't have to be heavy. The only thing it doesn't have is the character of a Harley.

And with each new iteration of Harley (the M8) they are slowly refining the sound until it doesn't even sound like a Harley anymore. All those M8 cam swaps chasing the sound is proof of that.

I still like the tee shirts.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:38 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironworker69
Strap a couple of saddle bags on this and away you go, do all the touring you want.

Great idea, but it only solves your solo touring issue. You convince my wife to tour for 2-4 weeks at a time, and I’d give your flip answer more respect.

When I go solo, even in my 70’s, a sportster will do, a Heritage better and a Street Glide Special even better.

But a touring bike is not just for loners, or a couple of buddies heading out for a weekend.

Another cheap response is just go buy a metric. I’m sure glad Harley makes the exact bike you want, because if you wanted more, you’d be **** out of luck. We ride a Harley touring because it is the best two up touring bike, except for weight. It’s okay, we have lived with it for years and different engines, Shovel, EVO, TC to TCII.

Your easy answer is for harley to do nothing but make a bike you and your buddies want. If that’s our future, well, I guess you don’t own any Harley stock anyway.

Oh, I’m picking up a heritage as well, sort of a short touring bike and to have as a loaner for friends who land here by air or cage, usually RV. But, it will not become our two up tour America bike. Nor will PanAmerica, or even Goldwing, nor a Nomad.

But but I do know your attitude as I was single once and rode solo. Any bike I was on was my touring bike. But Harley, even in the FLH day’s, still made the most comfortable solo or two up for a week or more of two lane exploration.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:03 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Great idea, but it only solves your solo touring issue. You convince my wife to tour for 2-4 weeks at a time, and I’d give your flip answer more respect.

When I go solo, even in my 70’s, a sportster will do, a Heritage better and a Street Glide Special even better.

But a touring bike is not just for loners, or a couple of buddies heading out for a weekend.

Another cheap response is just go buy a metric. I’m sure glad Harley makes the exact bike you want, because if you wanted more, you’d be **** out of luck. We ride a Harley touring because it is the best two up touring bike, except for weight. It’s okay, we have lived with it for years and different engines, Shovel, EVO, TC to TCII.

Your easy answer is for harley to do nothing but make a bike you and your buddies want. If that’s our future, well, I guess you don’t own any Harley stock anyway.

Oh, I’m picking up a heritage as well, sort of a short touring bike and to have as a loaner for friends who land here by air or cage, usually RV. But, it will not become our two up tour America bike. Nor will PanAmerica, or even Goldwing, nor a Nomad.

But but I do know your attitude as I was single once and rode solo. Any bike I was on was my touring bike. But Harley, even in the FLH day’s, still made the most comfortable solo or two up for a week or more of two lane exploration.
A seat and a backrest are all you need, wife and I put a lot of miles on my ‘97 FXDL.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:55 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
HD could take a lot of weight out of the bikes by combining the motor/trans and primary into one set of cases, going to over head cams... etc but then it wouldn't be a Harley then would it?
I guess that depends. Was the VRod a Harley?

Old 02-09-2021, 06:00 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironworker69
A seat and a backrest are all you need, wife and I put a lot of miles on my ‘97 FXDL.
You are a damn lucky man, and so am I. If these are our issues, we are both living right.

The following users liked this post:
Ironworker69 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 06:14 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by ieatchickens
4 cams? You might want to recount that number.
What do you feel the number is, if not 4? there are;
1 rear intake
1 rear exhaust
1 front intake
1 front exhaust.

How many do you think there are? Remember, he said cams, not camshafts.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:01 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Halojumper
What do you feel the number is, if not 4? there are;
1 rear intake
1 rear exhaust
1 front intake
1 front exhaust.

How many do you think there are? Remember, he said cams, not camshafts.
Mmmmmm, interesting

Old 02-10-2021, 04:02 AM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
You are a damn lucky man, and so am I. If these are our issues, we are both living right.
You are correct

Old 02-10-2021, 06:56 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 893 Likes on 387 Posts

To shave almost 300 pounds off a touring bike would be asking allot considering what all we want on a touring bike.

We want big saddlebags and a tourpak to haul all our junk.
We want a big fairing to keep the wind off us.
We want a stereo for company on those long lonely trips.
We want big fat fenders to keep road spray off us when it rains.
We want a big fuel tank so we don't have to stop as often.
We want a big comfortable seat for us and our passenger.
We want a monstrous motor to crank out as much horsepower as possible even though we will never use that horsepower.
We want big fat tires for better ride and handling.
We want everything to be made of metal because "Merica" damn-it.
And of course we want to bolt on as much chrome and do-dads as possible to make it "ours".
Plus, since most of the Harley touring bikes only have 5 inches of ground clearance they would have to raise the seat height about 3 inches to accommodate 5 inches of suspension travel.

There is a reason touring bikes weigh so much.

Last edited by Hecklerboy; 02-10-2021 at 07:12 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Hecklerboy:
BelchFire (02-10-2021), biglew55 (02-10-2021), Sol-Invictus (02-12-2021), teal379 (02-10-2021), TennesseeRoadGlide (02-13-2021), Uncle G. (02-10-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Why can't Harley build a touring bike that weighs 650lbs. ?