General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v-rods. the good and the bad.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:45 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: v-rods. the good and the bad.

ORIGINAL: INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
And the Plastic on a sport bike doesnt weigh 200 lbs either. Would kinda defeat the purpose of having the plastic if it weighed that much, dont ya think?
Probably includes the drivetrain.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Edmo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say HD thinks the "chick bike" is the one in the background on the left... What model is she about to ride?

Edmo
ORIGINAL: ButtMan1000

ORIGINAL: wisemx

We're gonna get slammed for this but...

For me they're way too girly and over priced.

I'm not too sure how I felt about Harley getting the French involved with the engine design too.
I have been going over pictures of the V-Rod and for the life of me I cannot see how anyone can call the looks "Girly".

I know for a fact that if onetakes a V-Rod for a test ride, the description of "Girly" will not be one of the adjectives used to describe the experience!!!!!

How can onethink this is "Girly"???

Old 08-02-2007, 11:13 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: grunt

And the Plastic on a sport bike doesnt weigh 200 lbs either. Would kinda defeat the purpose of having the plastic if it weighed that much, dont ya think?
Probably includes the drivetrain.

One thing though. While the Vrod may not be able to beat the Vmax in a straight line, it WILL out handle and outbrake it. At least right now it will.
New VMax coming out later this year. Rumered to have an all new chasis and much better brakes. So there goes that. Also rumered to put out close to 200hp.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Blackmouth

ORIGINAL: rockymtnroads

starson - I think that bike looks absolutely filthy and I know it screams compared to my RKC. I really am beating myself up over this decision. I love that bike.
No doubt the Rod wil scream compared to the RKC, but your comparing apples to oranges.

If you wish you'd gotten Rod instead of an RKC I feel bad for you bro. I mean, that's like my going to a Chevy dealerand driving off with an Avalanche then realizing it was a Corvette I was looking for. Whew, that's pretty messed up.
Dude,

You got it way wrong,

Going into a dealership and coming out with a RKC is the metaphor for the Avalanche!!!! It is big and will haul a lot.

The V-Rod is the latest tech, high performance, top of the line speed demon in the Harley line. This is the Corvette for sure!!!

Man,I really got a laugh out of your analogy, [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 08-03-2007, 09:07 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fred00

ORIGINAL: RED E GLIDE

Actually there is only one V-twin cruiser that out performs it. The Suzuki
M109R Limited. 1783 cc's with 129 HP as opposed to the V-rod 1140 cc's
with 115 Hp. The Suzuki weighs more, It has a bigger engine and is only slightly faster! It took Suzuki a 50% larger engine to beat the Harley!
Hats of to Harley (and porsche for the head design).
115hp from 1130cc is not that great. The Suzuki TL1000R develops 135hp from a 1000cc V-twin, and it came in 1996. The fact that the TL is a sportbike is irrelevant. The V-Rod engine is a sportbike engine anyway and not really comparable to the M109R engine. It's a short-stroke, high reving engine comparable to the TL and Honda RC51 engines, only less powerful. Suzuki could've easliy put the TL engine in a cruiser chassis if they wanted. They chose to go with a bigger engine with a longer stroke and lower revs.
Having owned 3 TL power plant bikes I would have to say that would be one ugly motor on a crusier. but your right, the motor could put out more juice.The v-rod motor weighs too much to be a sportbike motor,and the clutch is too prone to heat. it's in the right application now. It don't take too much to get more out of them though.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: boe1971200

I rode a V rod when they first came out. When I walked away I was impressed by the power and handling of the bike. I was not impressed by the looks or the price. If power and handling are what you want, you can buy any good rice grinder for 10-11 grand and have as much or more power then the V rod. As for me I will stick to the traditional Harleys, to each his own I guess.
The "Crotch Rockets" are butt ugly and uncomfortable to the extreme,

The VTX's and V-Star's look and sound Japanese, it actually hurts to hear their exhaust, ugly sound,

There is no comparison with the V-Rod, in a class all it's own,

Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CraigC

ORIGINAL: HD7585

I like them but am disappointed that they still can't run like the metrics. When they were being developed i thought nothing would touch them in performance, but that's not the case. Most performance metrics can run circles around them.............Bummer
Which metrics, sportbikes? The V-Rod ain't a friggin' sportbike and it beats every other power cruiser in every way. Power is comparable but they handle much better and don't wear 200lbs of plastic. The metric cruisers are, as they have always been, cheap copies.

I really like the V-Rod and came close to getting one but in the end I wanted something more traditional. The Night Rod Special is just pure badass, I love it. I've never ridden one but just swinging a leg at the dealer they are surprisingly comfortable with forward controls.
Dude, Cmon.
The Honda Magna was the origional powercruiser. The Vmax came out in 85 and stole the Crown and nothing has been able to touch it since. And it hasnt changed since 85 either. And it doesnt resemble a Harley.
So how can it be a cheap copy?
And the V-Rod cant touch it.
Say what you will about Metric bikes, just dont spout stuff that isnt true.
Dude, I never said sportbikes had 200lbs of plastic, I was referring to the new metric power cruisers. The M109R weighs 100lbs more than the V-Rod and is covered in plastic. Are the Magnas and V-Maxes really directly comparable to the V-Rod? Do you really want to spend the day on one? Seems to me they still sacrifice a lot of comfort for performance. I never referenced them, dude. And yes, bikes like the M109R are definitely cheap copies of the V-Rod. You can't look at the damn thing and think otherwise.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:21 AM
BkrDude001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing on this bike that looks like Harley is the sticker on the side that says Harley Davidson. It doesn't have the look of a Harley, it doesn't have the sound of a Harley, and it doesn't run like a Harley. Isn't there a saying something about, If it doesn't look like a duck and doesn't quack like a duck, then....

Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BkrDude001

The only thing on this bike that looks like Harley is the sticker on the side that says Harley Davidson. It doesn't have the look of a Harley, it doesn't have the sound of a Harley, and it doesn't run like a Harley. Isn't there a saying something about, If it doesn't look like a duck and doesn't quack like a duck, then....
You could say the same thing about every Harley improvement since the original!!

A springer fork and a Knucklehead engine?? Chain replaces the leather belt? Thatain't a Harley!!!
A hydraulic front suspension and shocks on the rear,and a Panhead engine??? That ain't a Harley!!!
A FXR frame and an EVO engine?? That ain't a Harley!!!!!

Times are always a changin' !!!!!!

Shheesh!!!!!