General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v-rods. the good and the bad.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:06 PM
rockymtnroads
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: v-rods. the good and the bad.

Interesting thread and good timing. I have a Road King Custom but am strongly considering a Night Rod Special. Loved the looks of them when I first saw them and finally saw one on the dealers floor this past weekend. I couldn't stop staring. I called Monday and am actually approved currently to purchase the bike but know I'll need to sell the Road King. On the flip side with the power it has and the majority of my rides being under a 100 miles at a time I know I'd ride the hell out of it. I love my Road King but the Night Rod Special is like the hot new girl when you've been with old faithful for a few years. I need to make my mind up by tomorrow really, I'm real torn.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Zzack
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Greybeardrider

I can't quite put my finger on any specific thing about it,...maybe the headlight, or the gauges,.....I think it has a lot to do with it looking so radically different from the "traditional Harley look".......I have thought many times about renting one for a day just to see for myself,....maybe I'll just do that,.....
That's it. I look at the v-rod as a bike in it's own class. Nothing else like it out there. It's not a traditional cruiser and it's not a crotch rocket. It's got zip and is nicely styled. I like them. But I wouldn't own one simply because it doesn't suit me for the type of riding I enjoy.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:31 PM
RoccoI
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: RED E GLIDE

Actually there is only one V-twin cruiser that out performs it. The Suzuki
M109R Limited. 1783 cc's with 129 HP as opposed to the V-rod 1140 cc's
with 115 Hp. The Suzuki weighs more, It has a bigger engine and is only slightly faster! It took Suzuki a 50% larger engine to beat the Harley!
Hats of to Harley (and porsche for the head design).

I rode one that a friend rented and I want one. I went to trade in my 05
EGC but couldn't handle the trade in offer or I would have one.
I'll go ride ride my slow bike now!
Actually, the v-rod is faster than the m109r

MEASURED TOP SPEED
V-Rod: 137mph
M109: 128mph

0 - 1/4 MILE
V-Rod: 11.38sec
M109: 11.62sec

0-60MPH
V-Rod: 3.52sec
M109: 3.65sec

0-100MPH
V-Rod: 8.22sec
M109: 8.87sec

POWER TO WEIGHT
V-Rod: 1:5.99
M109: 1:7.26

BRAKING 60-0 MPH (FEET)
V-Rod: 109.5
M109: 135.4

Old 08-01-2007, 11:30 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my second V-Rod. Owned an '03 for almost four years before selling it last autumn. Zero issues with it. They are fantastic as an "only" bike, and they are a fantastic complement to a big twin. It only took two months for me to recognize how much I missed the V-Rod after selling it, and picked up the VRSCDX back in Feb. Just returned from a 75 mile dinner ride. Sublime.

FWIW, there isn't a power cruiser touching it performance wise. I don't consider the V-Max a "cruiser" and the M109 does fall short, with its huge heft and size a liability. So I don't buy this crap it is passed up by the competition. The opposite is true... after six years on the market it still is #1 and the new '08's now have the 1250cc displacement. Additionally, it routinely outhandles the competition in reviews.

The exhaust note is powerful. One hears it andthinks "race". Twist the throttle above 4K RPMs and hold on tight... for a long time as the tach climbs another 5K. Unless sharing the road with race replicas, this thing will walk if not run away from most anything else on the road. Park it in a sea of other cruisers, and all others blend in and fade into the background while this thing stands out...

In the cold, gray, and rain it appears expecially menacing...

Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 AM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: HD7585

I like them but am disappointed that they still can't run like the metrics. When they were being developed i thought nothing would touch them in performance, but that's not the case. Most performance metrics can run circles around them.............Bummer
Your sure about this ? What metrics ? The M109-think not, worrior-think again- Rocket 3 -maybe but not circles around it . Only metric that will take it is a V-max which is more UJM than power cruiser.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 AM
triple buzz
Tourer

I saw an episode of Pinks about 6 months ago where a 1980 's era metric bone stock kicked the V rods *** easily. That was with 1980's metric technology.
he got beat by a GS 1150 e- that was one of the first bikes to crack the 10's- And I wouldn't call a bike length a *** wipping. That was an 1150cc inline 4 that is 560lbs against a 1130cc V-twin that is 650lb. The suzuki should have one. (this re-run was on 2 nights ago )

Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 AM
WaterBuffalo
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: triple buzz

I like them but am disappointed that they still can't run like the metrics. When they were being developed i thought nothing would touch them in performance, but that's not the case. Most performance metrics can run circles around them.............Bummer
Your sure about this ? What metrics ? The M109-think not, worrior-think again- Rocket 3 -maybe but not circles around it . Only metric that will take it is a V-max which is more UJM than power cruiser.
crotch rockets.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 AM
triple buzz
Tourer

ORIGINAL: WaterBuffalo

ORIGINAL: triple buzz

crotch rockets.
Oh-now I get it. wasn't sure were he was coming from with that. Power crusier compared to sportbikes ???

Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
rockymtnroads
6th Gear

starson - I think that bike looks absolutely filthy and I know it screams compared to my RKC. I really am beating myself up over this decision. I love that bike.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Blackmouth
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rockymtnroads

starson - I think that bike looks absolutely filthy and I know it screams compared to my RKC. I really am beating myself up over this decision. I love that bike.
No doubt the Rod wil scream compared to the RKC, but your comparing apples to oranges.

If you wish you'd gotten Rod instead of an RKC I feel bad for you bro. I mean, that's like my going to a Chevy dealerand driving off with an Avalanche then realizing it was a Corvette I was looking for. Whew, that's pretty messed up.

Quick Reply: v-rods. the good and the bad.