General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pregnant and riding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:44 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,611 Likes on 3,880 Posts
Default RE: Pregnant and riding?

ORIGINAL: japel

ORIGINAL: edilgdaor

ORIGINAL: tda69

As the others pointed out...it's just not worth risking. If she has already said that she's not comfortable doing it, then I'd just leave it at that. You can look forward to riding together again in the future.
It won't be in the NEAR future unless you live near anxious-to-help baby-sitters and family.

Congratulations and Good Luck !
All grandparents live nearby and we do have anxious baby-sitters
VERY cool. You are going to have a very rewarding experience. Your parents will spoil your kid and then hand him/her back to you whenhe/she gets cranky.....

Well, that didn't come out sounding so good, did it ? But our two grandkids are in the same boat, and it's a blast. They have never been to a baby-sitter. You're gonna have so much fun that there may be times when you don't even think about riding.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3power

I can't believe some folks are saying to go for it. Not sure what doctors you've seen, but if they told you it is no worse than walking you might want to see if they got their degree online . . lol.

Also, be prepared to put a lot of things on hold for the first year or two after having your baby. Newborns are VERY demanding . .lol. But don't worry, you and your lady won't miss riding as much as you might think . . having a kid changes your entire outlook on life.

Congrats.
Really, with your great degree explain what makes riding a bike so much worse for a pregnant lady and her kid? aside fromt he unforseen accident NOTHING is any worse on your baby. SO please tell me what is worse!
I am headed to lunch with my best friend who owns his own pediatrics office so I will see what he has to say too.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:52 PM
vegashd
Banned

I can't believe some folks are saying to go for it. Not sure what doctors you've seen, but if they told you it is no worse than walking you might want to see if they got their degree online . . lol.

Also, be prepared to put a lot of things on hold for the first year or two after having your baby. Newborns are VERY demanding . .lol. But don't worry, you and your lady won't miss riding as much as you might think . . having a kid changes your entire outlook on life.

Congrats.
decided to do some quick online searches and your "internet" degree might be in due for a refund

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/51/18.cfmriding bicycles

My doctor told me to just keep doing whatever I was/had been doing and riding was fine as long as I was not uncomfortable doing it. I rode up until the day before I had my son.
someone who was riding horses and checked with her doctor

Bicycling: Bike riding is nonweight-bearing — the bicycle supports your weight — and that makes it good for pregnant women. Still, biking entails some risks. As your center of gravity shifts, you may be more likely to fall. Your heavier abdomen can also put stress on your back as you lean toward the handlebars.

Running/jogging: If you're a runner, you can keep on running. Competitive runners often maintain their training during pregnancy.

Stretching and body sculpting: These are fine as long as you don't do them flat on your back or overextend. You don't get any cardiac benefit, but stretching does help you maintain muscle tone and flexibility, which can come in handy during labor and delivery. Kegel exercises, which involve targeting and contracting the muscles of the pelvic floor (around the opening of your bladder and vagina), may not help so much during pregnancy. But afterward, they can make it easier for your pelvic muscles to return to normal, and they may prevent problems with urinary incontinence later in life.

All these high impact excersies are good for you but riding a motorcycle is bad? RIGHT!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:54 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats.
Ummm... It's been 5 years now and I'm still waiting on that change of outlook. Still the selfish ***** I always was.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:46 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ken thompson

Congrats.
Ummm... It's been 5 years now and I'm still waiting on that change of outlook. Still the selfish ***** I always was.
Not me, I'd give anything for my kids. Yeah, I still take care of myself but my kids come first.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Crushertx3

they passed a law earlier this year that if you are pulled over and either the rider or passenger are pregnant it is now a fellony and you can be charged with Child endangerment

not sure if it is that way in Jersey but it is out here and in a few other states
I'll bet that law hasn't been tested in court yet. Of course in California it probably doesn't need to be tested., it would just be accepted.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:08 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: japel

Just curious if anybody has had any experience with this? My wife is pregnant with our first child and we were discussing this topic earlier this morning. She said she doesn't feel comfortable riding because she read that if you ride (horses) or ski you shouldn't do it while pregnant because of the increased chance of becomming injured and possibly injuring the baby. Also she was worried about the vibration on top of it. Not looking for a doctor opinion just if you ever heard anything or if you (or your wife) rode or did not ride while pregnant. She does not ride her own bike, she is just my passenger.

My wife rode on back through all 9 months of her
pregnancy with both our daughters, we also had
sex through all 9 months both times. Our Doctor
said you do what ever works for you because there
was no one telling our great grandmothers not to
sit in a covered wagon for 9 months across the U.S.
getting beat and bounced around the whole way.
They also worked hard on their farms through the
whole 9 months. Like our Doctor told us, people now
days have gotten soft. He said this back in the 60's
and early 70's so I can imagine what he would say
in 2007 LOL"

I/we also had our daughters on my motorcycle at
3 days old and the rest of their lives, till they bought
their own motorcycles as teens.

You have to remember that back in those days people
that rode motorcycles lived,walked,ate,slept,breathed,
and talked motorcycles 24/7 365, it was a lifestyle and
they rode their motorcycles (really rode them)

Now days most people just (own) motorcycles because
it is the cool, in thing to do! Most are not living a
motorcycle lifestyle and really riding them any kind
of miles a year. IE: Harley Davidson says their records
show the average mileage a year for their customers
is less then 2,100 miles a year. That means there is
hardly any hard core motorcyclists/bikers left out there
anymore these days, but if you and your wife are some
of the very few left just RIDE ON with no worries!

I have a good friend that just rode the whole Blue Ridge
Parkway with his 8 months pregnant wife on back of his
V Rod. They are some of the very few hard core
motorcyclists/bikers left group though! They live the life
style 24/7 365 their motorcycles are not just because they
arethe cool,in thing to do! With their other 3 kids they
rode the whole 9 months also!

Bottom line is: Do what works for your life style!

Good Luck and enjoy your kids, I sure enjoy mine
andmy grandkids!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:16 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's some reading:

http://www.engenderhealth.org/wh/mch/ppreact.html

http://forums.obgyn.net/pregnancy-bi...0104/0781.html

Ultimately, it boils down to how much risk you wish to take. Comparing the risk of walking to the risk of riding motorcycles is quite silly. Riding is inherently more risky. If I had an accident while riding, I could live with myself for taking the risk. If I had an accident that injured my unborn child, though, I wouldn't be able to sleep. But that's just my opinion.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 PM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

[&:]I have seen more car accidents then motorcycle accidents maybe pregnant women shouldn't be driving or riding in cars either.[&:]
The choice should be up to the mother and not the Government [:@].
When I was pregnant with my youngest I was out on an atv till the snow cameand rode my Polaris Snowmachine up till I had him. My doctor had no problems with it.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:34 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: scrappy883r

[&:]I have seen more car accidents then motorcycle accidents maybe pregnant women shouldn't be driving or riding in cars either.[&:]
The choice should be up to the mother and not the Government [:@].
1- you have also seen a lot more cars then motorcycles on the road, I would imagine.
2 - the choice is up to the mother as far as I know. I know someone mentioned otherwise, but I haven't heard it before - not saying it isn't true, but I haven't heard it.

Again, it all boils down to risk. If you felt comfortable riding an ATV while pregnant, more power to you.

Quick Reply: Pregnant and riding?