General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD PIPES RUIN LIVES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LOUD PIPES RUIN LIVES!

The times are what they are.....this argument has been going on since the beginning of our hobby here. Let's face it, there as many people that give you that sh&*-eating smile whenyou're leaving their house or party or whatever as they say to you "open it up on your way out and make some noise", as there are the one's that will call the cops and complain if someone farts too loud as they walk down the sidewalk in front of their house.
I run open pipes on my bike and guess what? At bay, it is definately tolerable, no joke. I don't run through my neighborhood or through parking lots or anywhere else deliberately trying to set off alarms or scare old ladies. I do, however, let em rip on the open road and quite frankly love doing it from time to time. It's all a matter of common sense (which, by the way is not common at all these days). Most anything in excess turns to crap, anything done in moderation is usually okay.
How many thousands of threads have been started regarding "what pipes are louder than stock for my bike", etc.?
Two final points.....1.If loud pipes are the top reason bikers have a bad name, that's pretty sad, but at the same time I'm thankful that's the worst our group will ever do. And 2. For those bikers who are after the "nice and quiet" gig.....there's always a Wing somewhere for sale.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:21 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: The Butcher

1.If loud pipes are the top reason bikers have a bad name, that's pretty sad, but at the same time I'm thankful that's the worst our group will ever do.

Pipes are the excuse given by those that just don't like bikes/bikers. If our bikes where whisper quiet, they would just find some other reason to bitch. My neighbor mows his grass at 7:00 in the morning. Wakes me up everytime he does it. I don't care. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. I'm not changing my pipes. That's all I got to say about that.[/blockquote]

Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 AM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how many of the guys with the really loud pipes getupset when the kids drive by their house with the cars thumping?

Old 07-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

EK5858....I do indeed get ticked off when a kid rides by my house listening to that crap.....only and I mean only, if it's too loud....you know, up so loud that it seems as though it's going to shake the rear license plate off his/her car. That's the whole point....crank that sh&* up when you're on the open road not in my neighborhood. And on the same side of the coin is my argument.....I do have open pipes, but through the neighborhood, guess what?.....It's 25 to 30 mph in 2nd or 3rd just coasting. Moderation and consideration is the key.
In answer to your post, go ahead and listen to that rap crap as much as you want, but just don't expose me to it and expect me to love it like you do.....and I'll return the favor by not giving you an earfull of my pipes.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take that meter to the truck stop. Be fair to all.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I agree with the Butcher. I am starting to get agrivated when I'm talking to someone or just sitting down to relax and some fool has to crank open the throttle for NO REASON except to say hey look at me, and let's face it, thats all it is. Drag pipes do nothing for the engine on the street. I don't care if you loud pipeswhen used with common curtesey. I'm sure most of the people that abuse drag pipes would bitch and cry if someone else wakes them up at 3 in the morning.
Remember, we are a small group, if the majority of the public says quiet down---guess what---the politicians are going to abide by their request.
And for those that say they will give up riding if the govenment does anything------I say Buh-Bye.
And the ones that will not abide by the laws-----maybe after the 6th or 7th $100 ticket you will also knuckel under or go bye-bye.
JMHO

Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't thik the local cops had the resources to enforce federal law. That's what they said herewhen the voters asked themto enforce immigration laws.....

Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one cares until they get hassled. Trying to get people to see the light is like herding cats. It's next to impossible. They are in complete denial until some cop sticks a probe up their tailpipe an has them cough...up the big bucks.[8D]

Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

"Our whole society would be so much better," he said, "if we would just enforce the laws we have."

These are the comments that **** me off cause the F'er that said it is probably one of those F-heads that say's "Those people from Mexico just want jobs", who gives a **** if they are gonna start enforcing a 1972 law then start enforcing the boder laws against........
.ILLEGAL ENTRY INTO THIS COUNTRY .

Bunch of F-heads

Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the same people that started the leaf blower thing, and now they're moving on to bigger things. I've been on construction sites where the Leo's are writing tickets for starting to work before the Noise ****'s time limitations. I'm waiting for the under 80db Jackhammer. Next, they'll make it illegal to buy an amplifier for your car, or a surround sound for you're home theater systems bucause when you turn it up and your windows rattle, it might disturb them.

Quick Reply: LOUD PIPES RUIN LIVES!