General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed an External Breather

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 03:29 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,672 Likes on 6,473 Posts

Originally Posted by southerncannuck
I’m planning to do the external breather mod and wondering if anyone has thoughts on whether a vented dipstick would further help or would it be unnecessary. My bike, a 2017 FLHTK with 32,000 miles isn’t pushing much oil now.
Every Harley is different. I have 3 and only 1 needed the external breather. It also happened to be the bike that had the most crankcase pressure. If your bike is venting little to no oil, I wouldn't worry about it. Guys that are running modified motors, Stage IV, big bore, etc, the vented dipstick probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:22 PM
The_Old_Bill
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 29 Posts

Been running an external breather for a while, and after seeing the s**t it collects, I think it was a good move to install it on my bike.

I found the smallest 'Oil Catch Can' I saw on eBay which had a top mount and also had fitted the internal mist filters. I originally ran 2.5mm rubber tubing from the breather bolts, but found that this tubing did not allow sufficient flow, as I noticed that the rear rocker cover started seeping oil soon after installing the catch can. I later replaced the 2.5mm tubing with 5mm Braided Stainless line (as pictured) and rocker cover leak stopped.

The Catch Can is fitted to the horn mount, and horn relocated under steering head between down tubes (with no chrome cover)

This set-up may look ugly to some out there, but I couldn't give two f**ks if it does the good job it is supposed to do, and stops (or lessens) the carbon build up over time.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:45 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 848 Likes on 321 Posts

Is anyone having issues with this on the M8? My TC used to leak like a sieve through the air cleaner, but my old EVO never had issues. Always left the oil bags half a quart low, and I’m doing the same on my M8

Old 12-30-2020, 02:55 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Old_Bill

This set-up may look ugly to some out there
while not the most appealing location, it is not awful, but more importantly, it is effective, and you are happy with it

Old 12-30-2020, 04:04 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 102 Posts

Are you OK with removing Harley engineered lubrication to the upper piston ring? Also increasing compression and pinging that can be had with continued use?

Old 12-30-2020, 04:26 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,850 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by kblhd
Are you OK with removing Harley engineered lubrication to the upper piston ring? Also increasing compression and pinging that can be had with continued use?
Are you saying that Harley designed the breather system to inject oil into the intake as a method of lubricating the ring, and that removing that oil will also increase compression?

Last edited by Clammy; 12-30-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:43 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by kblhd
what an ignorant statement! you do realize, introducing oil into the combustion chamber, lowers the effective octane rating?

Old 12-30-2020, 04:54 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by daddybones
Is anyone having issues with this on the M8? My TC used to leak like a sieve through the air cleaner, but my old EVO never had issues. Always left the oil bags half a quart low, and I’m doing the same on my M8
I had the exact opposite experience. my twin cam never puked a drop with the oil level set pretty much at the full mark when hot. My 92 evo (bottom breather) puked like crazy. So far so good with my m8. I believe the breather bypass is necessary for some (the pukers) but not all HD motors.

The following users liked this post:
DeeRoe (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 06:06 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,923 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by daddybones
Me too, no problems with my 2020 M8.

DeeRoe (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:05 PM
kblhd
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_0
what an ignorant statement! you do realize, introducing oil into the combustion chamber, lowers the effective octane rating?
why do you think Harley starts out with such low compression to begin with. They know by injecting breather oil they eventually will get to the proper compression. By removing the breather oil you are messing with designed improvement.

OldMike (12-31-2020)

Quick Reply: Just installed an External Breather