General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed an External Breather

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 01:47 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,672 Likes on 6,473 Posts

Originally Posted by southerncannuck
What’s the harm in burning some oil mist? I really don’t understand. I’ve had cars, trucks, motorcycles that burned a bit of oil. I had an airplane that burned about a quart every 6 hours which was absolutely normal in the industry. All two strokes burn oil. I’m reading a lot of posts about carbon in the combustion chamber. Does that become a problem over time?
It's not just an oil mist. It collects moisture from the air and adds that to the mist. Look at pictures that has been posted on this topic before of the **** they dump out of catch cans. That same **** goes back into your motor if you have this issue, and as I stated in my original post, not all Harley's have this issue...

Old 12-25-2020, 02:12 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,099 Posts

let's not forget that introducing oil into the combustion process, lowers the effective octane rating of the fuel you're running, being that air cooled twins run hot by nature, I'll take any opportunity I can to make it run cooler and crisper...

Old 12-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Hadye
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
but when I saw the YouTube video by Doc Harley (I trust his views), I decided to go ahead and install one.
That made me look into it also. following

Old 12-25-2020, 02:48 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,026 Likes on 7,306 Posts

I follow Doc H. Also and was really surprised that he did that video as a HD dealer. He was certainly very honest about it.

I have only had an issue once with excess oil when I put the recommended amount in at an oil change. Had the same issue on the 96 CI TC engines also. Had to keep them about 1/2 quart under.

Now I am sure there are other issues like the excess carbon built up.

My question which Doc did not address is warranty. I thought I had read here in one of the threads that this can be a warranty issue? Is that a concern?

Old 12-25-2020, 03:18 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 614 Posts

[/QUOTE]

My question which Doc did not address is warranty. I thought I had read here in one of the threads that this can be a warranty issue? Is that a concern?[/QUOTE]

Now that’d be a kick in the azz! The Moco voids your warranty because you improved the health of your engine....they should be giving you a rebate and a thank you card.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:21 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 624 Posts

I've run the crankcase vapors externally on my bikes with fuel line hose, a few hose clamps and a hole drilled in the backing plate to accommodate routing - no catch can, filter, gizmos or gadgets ... just like everything from stationary engines aircraft engines - straight to the atmosphere; what am I missing?

Last edited by Jehu; 12-25-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:32 PM
destination highway
Road Master
Received 1,636 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
It's not just an oil mist. It collects moisture from the air and adds that to the mist. Look at pictures that has been posted on this topic before of the **** they dump out of catch cans. That same **** goes back into your motor if you have this issue, and as I stated in my original post, not all Harley's have this issue...
Why do they not all do it? My '06 Ultra didn't, but my '12 Limited does. After a few hundred miles, my air filter collects a substantial amount of clean looking engine oil. It's not the milky looking jazz that I see in the pics you refer to..it's uncontaminated looking oil.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:13 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,930 Likes on 973 Posts

I put the DK Customs external breather on my '08 Heritage. It's peace of mind for me.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:04 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,605 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I've always ran a hose to the ground starting back when i rode a shovel. Always get a drop or two of that milky looking crap on the ground after having it parking in my garage.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:32 PM
southerncannuck
Cruiser
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

I’m planning to do the external breather mod and wondering if anyone has thoughts on whether a vented dipstick would further help or would it be unnecessary. My bike, a 2017 FLHTK with 32,000 miles isn’t pushing much oil now.

Quick Reply: Just installed an External Breather