General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compilation of Closed HD Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 07:34 PM
72RD350
Advanced
Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

There are currently 13 dealerships closed in Canada and 59 remaining open. At least one of these closures occurred in 2019 and possibly more than one. With a population of 38 million one can reasonably expect that HD will continue to close some dealerships. Note, the count of 59 may include souvenir dealerships although it does not include the Banff souvenir store but does include Yellowknife which no longer appears on the HD dealer listing. Does anyone know if Yellowknife's franchise was officially terminated?

Old 12-13-2020, 08:23 PM
mlbraptor
Road Master
Received 2,296 Likes on 744 Posts

Local dealer near me said they sold a lot of bikes this year..

Old 12-13-2020, 11:18 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,780 Likes on 9,576 Posts

Originally Posted by 72RD350
There are currently 13 dealerships closed in Canada and 59 remaining open. At least one of these closures occurred in 2019 and possibly more than one. With a population of 38 million one can reasonably expect that HD will continue to close some dealerships. Note, the count of 59 may include souvenir dealerships although it does not include the Banff souvenir store but does include Yellowknife which no longer appears on the HD dealer listing. Does anyone know if Yellowknife's franchise was officially terminated?

Barnes in Kamloops is still a Harley Davidson dealer… The Harley dealer in Prince George, is now an independent shop and not connected to Harley Davidson.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:24 PM
72RD350
Advanced

Originally Posted by mlbraptor
Local dealer near me said they sold a lot of bikes this year..
I’m sure they did but it was probably fewer than 2019 which was fewer than 2018 and so on and so on. With HD closing the York plant due to Covid there are probably very few, if any, dealers who sold more new bikes in 2020 than 2019 because HD delivered 28% fewer bikes in 2020.

CEO Zeitz pulled all the levers to make Wall Street happy but now that’s he’s cut a ton of cost he needs the four business segments to return to their prior revenue numbers in 2021. That’s going to be hard to do with 10-15% fewer dealers even if he’s selling bikes at full price which the Q3 report claimed.

He’s just made it more difficult for customers to purchase his products by raising prices and making it inconvenient. He’s counting on a whole lot of love for the Harley brand that may not be there anymore as fewer and fewer forty-somethings and younger purchase motorcycles.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:32 PM
72RD350
Advanced

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Barnes in Kamloops is still a Harley Davidson dealer… The Harley dealer in Prince George, is now an independent shop and not connected to Harley Davidson.
I’ll go back and look at Kamloops.

Old 12-13-2020, 11:32 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Zeitz it’s a running shoe salesman who hired chicken woman to run the books… HARLEY lost its way years ago, when they hired electric motorcycle man to restructure the company…There isn’t one of them up on the top floor that actually knows anything about motorcycles and why people ride them, especially why people ride Harley Davidson’s... His play is to do a paint & paper job, and then try and sell to some schmuck that doesn’t know how to look at what’s underneath the paint in the first place…

Old 12-13-2020, 11:41 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

On their Facebook page

Old 12-14-2020, 10:05 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Anders
Ozark Harley Davidson in Lebanon, Missouri is closing in late January and combining with there sister store, Lake of the ozarks HD in Osage beach, Missouri.

There is a brand new dealer currently being built in Jefferson City, Missouri called Barn Yard HD.
I just seen this on their website tonight(Ozark H-D). I would think with the new one being built in Jeff City, and Columbia, Sedalia having theirs not far away, they would have closed the one at the lake and left open the one on I-44. Lebanon was the only one left between St. Louis and Springfield along the interstate.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:00 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,701 Likes on 2,126 Posts

When you're the face of a Brand, any brand, there is usually some kind of ethical or behavior clause in the legal agreement. Violating the terms of the agreement is grounds for termination and some guys just don't know their role. It's a shame that dealers are having to close but I don't feel bad that Abernathey's got Kapernick'd. He brought it on himself plain and simple.

Ron White said it best "I had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability". Sometimes you just can't teach that message.

As far as the HD executive management teams decision making - how many times have you seen this play out ? The Numbers get picked, they make decisions based on the number without regard for the down stream consequences, hit the number, collect their bonus only to discover they've F'd up a 2 car parade. Sound familiar anyone?

Last edited by rizzo; 12-15-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:30 AM
RGCruiser
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Missed two

Originally Posted by 72RD350

Two missing from your list.

PEI (Prince Edward Island) Red Rock HD, gone
NB (New Brunswick)Saint John, Eldridge's HD, gone

We have 3 dealers in Atlantic Canada now, Halifax, Moncton and St. John's NFLD.

Quick Reply: Compilation of Closed HD Dealerships