General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compilation of Closed HD Dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 09:38 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

It is a tough world and getting tougher to stay in business. Corporate entities, manufacturing or sales or even farming, don’t like or want small business competition. While eliminating small business stifles innovation and customer service, the only thing that matters is profits.

They are making less bikes. There are fewer buyers. There is more competition.

I’m sure corporate discussed the negatives over a schnapps after making these decisions.

For me, the downside.
1. We tour, not cities, so remote dealers played an important function for us.
a. We did what we could to support them...ie, tee shirts, updating gear.
b. Helped us immediately the few times we had issues, no questions, reasonable costs.
c. They had the parts in stock or they had a takeoff bin and used a takeoff to get us on the road.
d. The illusion, if not a reality was if you needed help and rode a Harley, it was not far away.

1. Today, I can’t even get through the telephone menu of my local dealer.
2. Parts in stock are non-existent. No real idea of when they will have it.

The upsides.
a. You all know the upsides for a corporation. Money control.

I’ll ride this Harley until I can no longer ride, but it is unlikely my new bike will be a Harley. I wish them well, they do not offer me the riding experience they once did. My world, my roads, my touring must change with the times. Gone or going are the cool motels on the edge of town. They are replaced now by corporate monster motel chains with zero personality. Not bad, just different. Probably preferred by most millennial and younger riders. WiFi is more important. Being connected, updating your social media, posting your exploits so all your friends can see what a rich life you are living.

Okay, I’m a dinosaur, curmudgeonosaurus, and my only social media outlet is HD Forums, so my fling as the demographic to cater to is over. Good luck you whippersnappers, hey, that’s the first time I ever used that word!

But I’m still having fun.

I apologize for being long winded. Partied hardy at Curley’s last night and just nursing coffee while I thought about this. We all have our reasons.

The following 4 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
ChrisHo (03-07-2022), gregintenn (08-15-2022), Mr.Softy (02-27-2022), pgreer (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 12:22 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 425 Likes on 302 Posts

Dant's HD in Princeton Il. Bought out by another store,30 miles away, and closed down soon after.

Old 02-26-2022, 08:57 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I'll ask the question that many people might be thinking about.
Any chance of you posting the spreadsheet on Google Drive? I do appreciate the work you put into this!
Here's the question I have - whats the point?

Old 02-26-2022, 10:00 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Google is notorious for not updating address and closures. I’m going to take a ride for at least a month. I’d like a current list to at least layout some options for our travel.

Usually, while I don’t always know my exact route, I know generally the areas I’ll be passing through. For instance, in upper state New York, we wanted to stop at a dealer but couldn’t find it. Gave up and out in the country, there it was. They told us they’d been trying for years to get google maps to correct their address. We visited 38 states, all back roads and two lanes.

I guess I could google and call to see if it still was open, or with a list, I’d mark a few key ones close to my routes. Lazy, maybe, but I’d use an up to date list, probably print out and take a copy.

But if it is too too much of a hassle, I’ll be fine without it.

Old 02-26-2022, 11:01 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I enjoy manipulating data in spreadsheets and possibly linking it to other data sources. For instance, maybe I'd create a map that displays the number of dealerships closed by state.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:20 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,732 Likes on 4,240 Posts

I don’t think Keith is asking why Google drive

i think he’s doing his thing where he does his passive aggressive smart *** question … not because he wants to know… he wants to be known as the clever quipster…his typical modus operandi is condescending rhetorical questions like this

The following 2 users liked this post by CaffeineBuzz:
ChrisHo (03-07-2022), Dayypete (07-23-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 04:53 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by CaffeineBuzz
I don’t think Keith is asking why Google drive

i think he’s doing his thing where he does his passive aggressive smart *** question … not because he wants to know… he wants to be known as the clever quipster…his typical modus operandi is condescending rhetorical questions like this
It was a sincere question. What's the point of this?

Thanks for your brilliant insight into what I want to be "known as". 🙄

Old 02-27-2022, 05:20 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

I'm pretty sure it is what you have become known as regardless of your intentions.

The following users liked this post:
ChrisHo (03-07-2022)
Old 02-27-2022, 05:25 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,372 Likes on 5,506 Posts

HD shut down a dealership after 62 years Mischler's. A place you were treated right no BS. Owner in the dealership most everyday. Purchase your bike from him .
HD shut him down because a dealers down the road wanted the sales and service. Soon as Mischler's was shut down the other dealer raised labor and cut number of workers . So if you need service you wait and all they say is that how it goes.
Get use to it.
62 years of honest service. they would still work on any Harley and knew how to. new dealership will not even consider an EVO a Harley.
Have my last new Harley 2020 RGL I now use an Indy shop and all Indy parts. The woods cam kicks the **** out of HD phony stage 2.

Old 02-27-2022, 06:48 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,732 Likes on 4,240 Posts

You made your bed…. Anyone need only read your post history… and I really don’t want to know why but why? If to only take shots at folks for what they do and how they think… why are you here. This is fun for you?

Quick Reply: Compilation of Closed HD Dealerships