General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Advice......

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:01 AM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Advice......

Based on 5 years previous ownership of an ABS equipt'd, BMW K1200LT, I strongly suggest new owners think about an extended warranty. Whether it be Harley's or an aftermarket, just make sure your ABS controller/computer is covered along with everything else.

Not having seen the technical spec's on Harley's ABS, I can't comment directly, but I can on the BMW's system and would assume it (Harley's ABS) is just as sophisicated. What does it all mean? Well, on the Beemer the ABS control module IS the second most expensive piece on the motorcycle. The engine is the most expensive. We are talking just under $3k to replace the module/computer. It ain't cheap and when it goes, you still have brakes, but the failure mode feels less like standard brakes would feel. Ask me how I know? I lost my control module with 2300 miles and lucky for me I was under warranty. Needless to say I opted for the extended warranty before my time was up. Never needed it, but was sure glad I took it for the piece of mind.

Don't get me wrong, these systems are not troublesome, BMW's failure rate was low and I am sure the Harley (might be Delco unit) is a good one, but if it goes and you are not covered under warranty any longer it could get expensive. Just thought I'd post this to the collective as a heads up.

If I had known that ABS was coming on the Ultra's in '08 I would have waited to order mine, it is just that good!

Regards,

Old 07-30-2007, 06:09 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ABS Advice......

ABS is good. I had an 02R 1150 RT for 4 years. The thing aboutABS that wasn't good was the fact it included integrated brakes. There are just too many times that a rider wants to use just the rear brake only (parking lot maneuvers) and that's impossible. Atleast it was on the bike I owned.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the idea of ABS brakes enough to make me think about an '08. Good selling point to the wife too...."but honey, don't you want me to be safer out there?".

Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I love the idea of ABS brakes enough to make me think about an '08. Good selling point to the wife too...."but honey, don't you want me to be safer out there?".
Never thought of that one. I'll give it a try. Yo Honey!!!!